INTRODUCTION OF THE CYSTITIS
Cystitis is defined as the inflammation of the urinary bladder or the urinary tract. This is mainly caused by bacterial infection. The bacteria involved usually reside in the rectum, colon and vagina. These bacteria then invade the urinary tract and cause the infection along with inflammation.
Cystitis is caused due to following causes:
- Not passing urine for a long time
- Having severe constipation
- Due to infection of the kidney
- Due to the presence of bacteria in the digestive system and on the skin around the rectum and vagina. These bacteria then pass through the urethra and upto the bladder.
- Having kidney or bladder stones
- Due to prostate enlargement
- Irritation and inflammation of the bladder
- In children it is caused due to abnormalities in urinary tract
- Poor diet
- Due to poor personal hygiene
- Excessive use of oral contraceptives
- Increased urge to urinate
- Increased urination several times at night
- Burning sensation during urination
- Pain in lower abdomen
- Pain in pelvis
- Pain in back region
- Thick and dark coloured urine
- Foul smell in urine
- Sometimes blood and pus in urine
- Rise in body temperature in early stages
- Nausea and vomiting
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to ayurveda, cystitis is compared with Mootrakrichha. Elimination of the urine is the function of apana vayu. When due to certain reasons apana vayu gets vitiated such as dry foods, excessive consumption of alcohol, excessive exertion, excessive food intake and indigestion; then it causes problems in urination or mootrakrichha. There are four types of mootrakrichha described in Ayurveda:
- Vataja Mootrakrichha– This is mainly caused due to vitiation of the vata dosha. Patient feels obstruction while urinating and experiences severe pain in the pelvic region.
- Pittaja Mootrakrichha– This is mainly caused due to pitta dosha imbalance. Patient excretes reddish or yellowish urine accompanied with burning sensation.
- Kaphaja Mootrakrichha– This is caused due to kapha dosha imbalance. There is swelling and heaviness in the pelvic region and patient excretes sticky urine.
- Sannipatik Mootrakrichha– This is caused due to the imbalance of all the three doshas of the body so the patient experiences the mixed symptoms.
Ayurvedic formulations useful in this disorder are:
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Chandanbala Lakshadi Oil
- Chandrakala Rasa
- Gokshuradi Churna
- Gokshuradi Guggulu
- Veerataruadi kshaya
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Drink adequate water, fruit juices, coconut water.
- Avoid sitting for long hours in air conditioned rooms. This causes dryness in urinary tract which often leads to urinary problems.
- Apply heat over the abdomen using a towel dipped in hot water.
- Practice Pranayama and Padma asana.
- Empty your bladder completely when you go to the bathroom.
- Avoid holding urine for a long time after you feel the urge to urinate.
- Wipe from front to back after a bowel movement to prevent the bacteria in the anal region from spreading to the vagina and urethra.
- After the sexual intercourse, wash your genital area to remove any bacteria that could travel up the urethra or drink a glass of water to flush out the bacteria.
- Cranberry or pomegranate juices reduce the proliferation of the bacteria.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages, chocolate, refined and processed food stuffs.
- Boil 4-5 drumsticks in water for about 10 min. separate the drumsticks and peel off their skin. Crush the drumsticks to make its paste. Extract the juice from this paste and drink it once every day.
- Prepare the paste of cucumber and extract its juice. Add one teaspoon of honey and two teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix well and have this two times a day.
- Take one teaspoon of coriander seeds, put them in a cup of freshly boiled water, cover and leave for 5 minutes. Strain the seeds off and drink the tea when it is warm.
- Put half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and one cup of milk in a saucepan. Heat it till boiling. Add a pinch of saffron and leave to cool. After it has cooled, add a teaspoonful honey.