Madhumeha is considered one of the most serious disorders of the Metabolism in human beings. The bodies of the diabetic people fail to produce or properly use the INSULIN. Which is a necessary hormone that helps a lot to turn sugar and other food items into energy. Insulin is usually produced in the PANCREAS an organ located near the stomach. The body’s failure to produce or properly use insulin increases the amount of sugar in the patient’s blood. The abnormally high blood sugar levels are known HYPERGLYCEMIA.
*In ancient India the great Indian surgeon and teacher, SUSHRUTA identified diabetes &classified it as Madhumeha in the 6th century BCE. He further researched about the disease & identified it to be associated with obesity & sedentary life style. He also advised people to do exercise to cure diabetes. The disease was called Madhumeha (meaning “sweet urine disease”).
Types of Madhumeha
Type 1 Type 2
(Insulin dependent) (Non-insulin dependent)
– Hereditary – Age, Poor diet
– Obesity & fat distribution – Sedentary life style
– Stress, Drug intake -Infection, Sex
– Hypertension, -Serum lipids, Lipoproteins
Symptoms according to Types:-
Type 1 Type 2
– Nausea – Fatigue
– Vomiting – Polydipsea
– Fast weight loss – Polyuria
– Dehydration – Polyphegia
– Fatigue – Weight fluctuations
– Blurry vision – Mood variations
– Poor wound healing – Infections
Diet (Do’s & Don’ts)
-Fried barley (yava) – Cauliflower
– Bitter vegetables – Ghee
– Cabbage – Cardamom
-Coriander – Haritaki
-Mudga (mung) – Jaggery gud (old)
-Papaya/ guava/ apple/ orange
– Milk & milk products (curd, paneer, cheese, butter etc.]
– Animal proteins (Meat of different birds & animals, chicken,
Mutton, pig, cow etc.)
– Sweets & sugar, chocolate.
Rice Potato, Sweet potato, Pumpkin,
Arbi, Reddish, Turnip.
Rajma , urad and rice.
Banana, Mango, Fig, Grapes, Date palm, Plum, Chickoo & other fruits
which are rich in carbohydrate.
Pizza, Burger, Cutlet, Pavbhaji, Sauce & other related food article
Mind & body approach:-
– Bhastrika Pranayama – Kapalbhati Pranayama
– Agnisar kirya Pranayama – Uddyanbandha Pranayama
– Anulom-viloma Pranayama – Bhramri Pranayama
– Vigyara Mudra Pranayama
– Manduk Asana – Ardhmatsyendra Asana
– Shishank Asana – Vakr Asana
– Dhanura Asana – Trikon Asana
– Bhujang Asana
– Yoga nidra
– Eat better – Get more Exercise
– Lose excess weight – Using preventive medication