Bipolar disorder is also known as Manic-depressive illness. It is a disorder of brain that causes unusual mood swings from excessively high and irritable, to sad and hopeless, and then back again with periods of normal mood in between; variation in energy and activity level and the ability to do daily tasks. It involves episodes of both serious mania and depression.
If this problem is left untreated, then it may lead to serious problems like suicide, financial problems, legal problems, relationship troubles, anxiety, addiction and poor work performance.
No particular case has been identified for causing this disease. However, following factors may be responsible:-
- Abnormal thyroid function
- High level of cortisol
- Imbalance in the neurotransmitters like glutamate, dopamine
- Lack of co-ordination between the right and left lobes
- Certain environmental and psychological factors like stress
- Substance abuse, long term use of certain medications like anti depressants, seasonal changes and sleep deprivation are also responsible for causing this condition.
- Extreme desire for something or mania
- Changes in the mood like sadness or excitement
- Feeling hopeless
- Having thought of death or suicide
- Delusions and hallucinations are also seen in some cases
- Loss of weight or appetite
- Sleep problems
- Fatigue or loss of energy
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVEDA CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, Bipolar disorder is caused due to imbalance of vata, pitta and kapha dosha and the mental properties satva, rajas and tamas. Over excitement is caused due to aggravation of vata and depression is caused due to pitta. Persons suffering from bipolar disorder have low ojas.
Ayurveda lays stress on increasing the ojas and reducing the stress factors to treat bipolar disorder.
Panchakarma procedures that can be done in this case are:-
- Sarvanga Abhyanga
- Vasti – Anuvasana and Niruha
Single ayurvedic herbs that are useful in this case are:-
Ayurvedic formulations recommended in this condition are:-
- Vata Nashak Vati
- Manas Mitra Vati
- Ashwagandha Avaleha
- Ashwagandha Churna
- Ayushant tablet
- Brahmi Vati
- Brahmi Ghrit
- Ashwagandha Ghrit
- Tagaradi Churna
- Brodley Syrup
- Brainomed Tablet
- Brainomed Syrup
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Avoid intake of alcohol as it is a depressant.
- Avoid caffeinated products or any other kind of addiction as they reduce the sleep.
- Avoid intake of much sugar in your diet.
- Avoid eating red meat as it causes irritability in the patients suffering from bipolar disorder.
- Practice the gyan mudra. Gyan mudra is effective for the depressive cycle and is formed by touching the tip of the index finger with the tip of the thumb. Practicing this mudra controls the level of depression, increases the level of confidence.
- Make sure that you have regular sleeping habits.
- Do regular excercises. Practice yoga and meditation as it helps in making the mind still, clears depression and brings a greater balance in the functioning of the brain.
- Mind has a very close relation with breathing. Do deep breathing as it makes one happy and relaxed. Proper breathing helps in controlling extreme mood swings.
- Maintain close contact with nature.
- Enjoy sattvic and wholesome food.
- Avoid social isolation and seek support.
- Have fresh fruits, fruit juices, green leafy vegetables, vegetable soups, sprouts, nuts, dry fruits, honey, milk, ghee and buttermilk to increase the satva element in the body and enrich the mind.
- Avoid non vegetarian diet.
- Take one teaspoon of liquorice powder and add it in a cup of water. Boil this water for about ten minutes. Strain the solution and drink the liquorice tea. Consuming liquorice herbal tea every day will help in treating bipolar disorder problems.
- Take some brahmi leaves and extract the juice out of them. Drink few teaspoons of this extracted juice daily for few weeks regularly. Brahmi is a very useful herb in case of bipolar disorder as it works as a mild stimulant as well as sedative. Besides, it helps in enhancing the memory and relieves mental strain.