Chronic fatigue syndrome is a disorder in which one feels extreme fatigue or tired without any underlying cause.
- Loss of concentration in the work
- Sore throat
- Muscular pain
- Swelling in the lymph nodes of neck or armpit
- Radiating pain from one joint to another
- Disturbed and reduced sleep
- Feeling of being exhaust
- Pain in the joints
- Extreme weakness
- Heart and breathing problems
- Difficulty in maintaining an erect position
- Gastric problems such as bloating, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhoea and nausea
- Sweating mainly at night
- Depression, irritability or anxiety
Although the exact cause of the syndrome is unknown, following factors are responsible for causing chronic fatigue syndrome:
- Few people develop this syndrome after suffering from viral infections. Viruses that cause this syndrome are Epstein Barr virus, human herpes virus and mouse leukemia virus.
- People who have low immunity tend to develop this syndrome.
- People who experience abnormal blood levels of hormones produced in the hypothalamus, pituitary glands or adrenal glands.
- People with anemia tend to develop this syndrome.
- Fatigue is also caused due to excessive exercise or after very hard physical work
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to ayurveda, chronic fatigue syndrome is compared with balakshaya or ojakshaya. Fatigue is caused due to lack of integration between body, mind and soul of the body. Due to the accumulation of the toxins in the body, the life force is unable to flow freely, hence causes fatigue and its associated symptoms. It is mainly caused by the aggravation of the vata dosha in the body. The aggravated vata dosha and accumulation of ama are the primary causes of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Ayurvedic line of treatment for this syndrome is based on the following principles:
- Purification process for complete elimination of ama or toxins from the body.
- Using Samana Chikitsa or alleviating the doshas
- Administration of the Rejuvenative preparations
Ayurvedic formulations beneficial in this syndrome are:
- Dashmoola Qwatha
- Triphala Guggulu
- Rasna Saptak Qwatha
- Vata Vidhwansana Rasa
- Ashwagandha Churna
- Ashwagandha Avaleha
- Abhrak Bhasma or Loha Bhasma when fatigue is caused due to anemia
Single herbs that are useful in this syndrome are:
- Licorice or Yashtimadhu
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Have increased quantity of fruits and vegetables in your diet
- Avoid eating excessive hot, spicy and fried foods
- Avoid having excess of tea, coffee and alcohol
- Avoid taking mental tensions
- Avoid sleeping during daytime or waking up till late night
- Include spices such as cumin, coriander, ginger and hing in your diet
- Eat khichadi atleast thrice a week
- Prefer eating cooked vegetables instead of raw vegetables
- Coconut water and coconut milk are good for the people suffering from this syndrome
- Have juice of carrot, cucumber and beetroot in your diet.
- Take in green salad with lemon juice and little salt in it
- Practice yoga, meditation, pranayama or study spiritual philosophy for the relaxation of the mind.
- Practice Shavasana for the relaxation of the body.
- One cup of ginseng or Ashwagandha tea once or twice a day is good for the people suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Take Shatavari 5 parts, bala 4 parts, Vidari 3 parts, Kamdudha ¼th part. Prepare a mixture of the above herbs. Take half teaspoon of this mixture two or three times a day with one teaspoon of shatavari ghee.
- Chop a little fresh ginger. Add a few drops of lime juice and a pinch of salt to it. Have it before meal.
- Soak ten fresh dates in a jar of ghee. Add one teaspoon ginger, 1/8th teaspoon cardamom and a pinch of saffron. Cover and keep in a warm place for atleast two weeks. Then eat one in the morning and one in the evening. This is highly beneficial in chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Have one cup of fresh mango juice. Then after an hour or so have half cup of warm milk with a pinch of cardamom and nutmeg. Add one teaspoon ghee to this. Take this two times a day to overcome the syndrome.