Paget’s disease is a localized bone disorder characterized by abnormal growth of the bone. It may affect one or two bones. The risk of developing the disease increases with the advancing age.
Healthy bone tissue is maintained by cells called osteoblasts and osteoclasts. The osteoblasts build new bones and osteoclasts help to dispose of old bone.
In Paget’s disease, the speed of breaking of bone tissue is faster than normal. The body speeds up rebuilding process of new bone. But these bones are often weak and brittle in nature and therefore break easily. It commonly occurs in pelvis, skull, spine and legs. It may damage the cartilage lining the joints near the affected bones. This wear and tear often leads to osteoarthritis of the affected joints, a condition that may cause pain, swelling and stiffness.
The disease may progress slowly with time. Some common complications that may arise are fracture and deformities, osteoarthritis, heart failure, bone cancer, etc.
The exact cause of the disease is not known. However, following factors are responsible for causing this disease:-
- Genetic factors
- Environmental factors
Signs and symptoms of the disease depend upon the part of the body that is affected.
- Pain in the hip region. The pain may be constant, aching and deep and may be most severe at night.
- Bone abnormality in skull may cause hearing loss or headaches.
- When spine is affected, nerve roots get compressed that further causes pain, tingling sensation and numbness in the arms and legs.
- Weakness in the bones may cause bending and patient becomes bowlegged. This might put extra pressure on surrounding joints and may cause osteoarthritis in your knee or hip.
- Enlarged bones can compress the spinal cord or the nerves coming out of the brain and spinal cord. Pain resulting from nerve compression is more severe than the bone pain associated with Paget’s. The location of the pain caused by nerve compression depends on the nerve that is affected. Pain may even radiate from your lower back into the legs. Pressure on the nerve cause numbness, tingling, weakness and double vision.
- Warmth in your skin over the affected area.
- Neurological problems such as hearing loss
- Weakness of muscles
- Fracturing of bones even from minor injuries
- Vision problems
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
Paget’s disease is due to vitiation of vata dosha and is compared with Asthi Dhatu Kshaya in Ayurveda.
Line of treatment for Paget’s disease aims at:-
- Regularizing the deposition and break down of bone tissue
- Medicines that helps in healthy bone tissue
- Treating pain and other neurological issues
- Protecting vital organs and preventing long term complications of joints, sensory organs, heart and kidney.
Panchakarma therapies that can be done in this case are:-
- Sarvanga Abhyanga
- Patra Pinda Sweda
- Anuvasana Vasti
- Niruha Vasti
Single herbs that can be given in this case are:-
Ayurvedic formulations recommended in this case are:-
- Trayodashang Guggulu
- Asthiposhak Vati
- Dhatu Poshtik Churna
- Ashwagandha Avaleha
- Ashwagandha Churna
- Vata Vidhwansan Rasa
- Punarnavadi Kwatha
- Vata Nashak Vati
- Vishmushtik Vati
- Maha Vata Raja Rasa
- Triphala Churna
- Maha Rasnadi kwatha
- Rasnadi Guggulu
- Nirgundi Tailam
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Exercise on a regular basis for maintaining the joint mobility and bone strength.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Avoid dry and cold foods.
- Include milk, ghee, sesame, millets in your diet.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and other caffeinated products.
- Avoid intake of tea and coffee.
- Include fruits and green leafy vegetables in your diet.
- Keep the pulses in sunlight before cooking them. This gives the vitamin D content to the body.
- Have milk warmed with half teaspoon of turmeric at night. Turmeric relieves the pain and inflammation.
- Take few pieces of ginger and prepare its paste in warm water. The phytochemicals present in it helps in joint and muscle pain and stops the inflammation.