Nasya therapy is a process wherein herbal oils and medicated ghrits are administered in the nostrils. Since nose is the gateway to the head, it is believed that this therapy is highly effective in curing a number of diseases related to the head. The therapy cleanses and opens the channels of the head, thereby improving the process of oxygenation which has a direct influence on the functioning of the brain. In this process, the imbalanced doshas are removed through the nasal openings.
Nasya karma can be performed either in sitting or in lying position. Firstly light massage with medicated oil is done over the face followed by steam or swedana karma. This process is done for about 10 minutes and proper care of the eyes are taken by covering them. After this the medicine is instilled in the nostrils of the patient. Medicated smoke is given to the patient followed by gargles at the end of the whole procedure.
Nasya procedure is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Diseases of mouth, nose, ear, eye and head
- Diseases of the eyelid
- Dryness of the nose
- Facial paralysis
- Speech disorders
- Hoarseness of voice
- Sinus congestion
- Stiffness in the head, neck, teeth and jaw
- Common cold
- Hair fall and untimely greying of hair
- Mental diseases
Nasya proves to be beneficial in the following ways:-
- It ensures healthy and proper growth of hair
- It enhances the activity of sense organs and protects the person from diseases pertaining to head.
- It keeps the eyes, nose and ear healthy.
- It prevents the early graying of hair.
- It prevents early aging process.