In the term Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda (Navarakizhi), Shashtika Shali refers to medicated rice, pinda refers to bolus and sweda refers to the sudation performed using bolus of medicated rice.
Firstly kwatha or decoction of balamoola is prepared by boiling around 750 grams of it in 12 litres of water. After preparing the kwatha, Shashtik rice should be cooked in about 1.5 litres of balamoola kwatha and 1.5 litres of milk. The rice should be cooked till they become thick and semisolid. After the rice has been cooked, they should be put in a cotton cloth and a potali or bolus should be made of it.
After the potalis are prepared, the patient is asked to lie down on the massage table and gentle massage using warm potalis is done. The temperature of the potalis should be maintained during the procedure by dipping them heated milk kwatha mixture. The procedure lasts for about an hour or till the patient starts sweating.
Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Muscular pains
- Painful and stiffed joints
- Swelling in the joints
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Prolapse of intervertebral disc
Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda proves to be beneficial in the following ways:-
- It helps in relieving pain, swelling and stiffness caused by the joint disorders like arthritis.
- It energizes and rejuvenates the body.
- It improves the strength of the tissues, bones and muscles.
- Prevents degeneration of the joint tissues and muscles.
- Induces sweating and brings about a feeling of lightness in the joints, soft tissues and muscles.
- Corrects the diseases associated with the vata and pitta dosha.
- Enhances flexibility and movements of the stiffed joints.
- Improves blood circulation in the body as well as improves the color and complexion of the skin.