Basically, Shirovasti is a very good procedure of Ayurveda which provides great relief. The meaning of Shiro is head and the meaning of Vasti is container. So, Shirovasti is a procedure in which oil is held in the house for specific time period.
Our therapists use a leather cap and hollow space is maintained inside so that oil can be held for a period of time. The fitting of cap is done in such a way that the oil doesn’t come out. Basically, this procedure is used for treating brain diseases, head problems and neurological issues like depression, chronic headache, migraine as well as headache. This is good for recurring headaches or for hemicranias.
It also lowers stress and helps to build immunity against a variety of diseases. It comes under the category of external Snehana. In this, the oil is applied externally for treating the ailment.
Mainly, this Ayurved treatment is for treating vata rogas as well as jathrudwa gata rogas. In this process, our therapists use medicated oils so that they stagnantly remain on the scalp for some period of time under the cap made up of leather.
It’s a head therapy and you must definitely get it done if you are having any sort of neurological issues.
HOW IS THE PROCEDURE PERFORMED?
This procedure is divided in 3 stages:-
- Purva Karma
- Pradhana Karma
- Pushyat Karma
In the Purva karma, our therapists will thoroughly diagnose you and will select the medications; this will depend on the condition of the patient. Our therapist will select medicated oil after thoroughly detecting the strength of the patient and also how severe the disease is.
Before the procedure starts, our therapists give proper counseling to the patient and also guidance is given. It needs immense patience for the entire procedure to take place. We prepare a leather or rexine cap after measuring the head of the patient. Then, we would fix it on the head with dough so that it is properly fixed and the oil doesn’t leak.
In the Pradhana Karma, a good amount of warm oil is poured in that leather cap till the complete scalp is covered. The medicated oil has to remain stagnant for a specific time period. This again depends on the condition of the patient and the severity of the disease.
In the Pushyat karma procedure, the oil is removed from that dough and our therapist will give a gentle massage. Rest is advised for some amount of time.
SELECTION OF OIL
In shirovasti, selection of oil matters a lot. It depends on the disease a patient is suffering from. Given below are the oils that you shall find:-
- For dry hair, sesame and coconut oil
- For memory improvement, Bhringaraj, Amalaki and Brahmi
- For ear pain, mustard oil
- For vata disorders, brahmi, canola, coconut and sesame oil
- For pitta, brahmi, coconut and sunflower oil
- For Kapha, mustard and canola oil
DURATION OF THE PROCEDURE
The time duration of Shirovasti again is based on the health or condition of a patient and also how severe it is. Generally, 30 to 60 minutes therapy is preferred. There is variation as per the dosha disorders.
- 50 minutes for vata disorders
- 40 minutes for pitta disorders
- 30 minutes for kapha disorders
BENEFITS OF SHIROVASTI
- The brain is nourished and the intellect is promoted
- Mental calmness is brought to the patient
- The hair roots are nourished
- Hair becomes soft
- Hair becomes glossy
- Various disorders are cured
- Good for sinusitis
- Good for eye problems
- Skin complexion is improved
- Marma point i.e. pressure points are stimulated. The nerve endings are calmed.
- Hair roots are calmed
- The vata is balanced
- The kapha is balanced
- Good balance is developed between skull and brain
- The entire body system becomes smooth
- Complete well-being is promoted
- The brain and the senses are properly functioned
- Mind is healed
- Brain problems are solved
- Good for migraines
- Calms down the disturbed mind
- The mind is soothed
So, this way, you have already understood the benefits of Shirovasti therapy. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is the best one to offer you this therapy. All you need to do is call us or email us about your convenient time and we shall book it for you.