Urinary tract infection occurs when the bacteria enter and multiply in the urinary tract. The urinary tract consists of kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. The name of the UTI depends on its location in the urinary tract. An infection in the bladder is known as cystitis whereas if the infection is in one or both of the kidneys, the infection is known as pylonephritis. Females are more prone to develop UTI. Untreated UTI can lead to fever, nausea and vomiting.
- Having multiple sexual partners
- The penis can push the bacteria from the vagina into the urethra during the sexual intercourse
- Holding the urge to urinate for a longer period of time
- Presence of Kidney stones
- Constant urge to urinate although the urine is passed in very less quantity
- Passing small amount of urine while sneezing, coughing or laughing
- Pungent smell in the urine
- Mild to moderate pain in the abdomen
- Noticeable change in the color of the urine
- Burning sensation in the urination
- Presence of blood in the urine
- Feeling of bladder being full
- Soreness in the belly, back or sides accompanied with the fever, chills and nausea
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
In Ayurveda, UTI is compared with Pittaja Mutrakrichha. It is mainly caused by the aggravation of the pitta dosha. Aggravated pitta dosha produces toxins in the body which then accumulate in the urinary channels or mutravahi srotas. This causes imbalance in the infection fighting properties of the urinary system that leads to the bacterial growth in the system causing UTI.
SINGLE HERBS USEFUL IN THIS CONDITION ARE:-
AYURVEDIC FORMULATIONS RECOMMENDED FOR UTI ARE:-
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Gokshur Churna
- Gokshuradi Guggulu
- Shilajeet Vati
- Sheet Prabha Vati
- Nephromed Syrup
- Nephromed Tablet
- Giloy satva
- Shvet Parpati
- Prawal Pishti
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Drink atleast 8-10 glasses of water every day to flush out the toxins out from the body.
- Fresh lemon juice, fresh coconut water, orange juice, sugarcane juice and pineapple juice are extremely useful in this condition.
- Do not expose yourself to extreme hot conditions as this may further cause burning sensation in the urination.
- Fruits like apple, grapes, peaches and plums should be taken in good quantity in your diet.
- Cranberry and blue berry juice helps to reduce the bacterial growth and hence is effective in curing urinary tract infection.
- Avoid alcohol, hot, sour and spicy foods, chillies and coffee.
- Avoid the intake of non vegetarian foods, lady finger etc.
- Don’t suppress the urge to urinate.
- After urinating and defaecating, wipe from front to back.
- Exercise daily for about half an hour.
- Increase the intake of foods that contain high amount of fibre and water. This helps in removing the bacteria from the body.
- Increase the intake of foods that are rich in Vitamin C as it helps to cure urinary tract infection. Vitamin C makes the urine acidic and thus the bacteria cannot thrive in acidic condition for a very long time
- Practice yoga and meditation. Gomukhasana, Pawanmuktasana, ardha matsendra asana are useful in this condition.
- Take one cup of hot water and add two teaspoons of coriander powder to it. Mix well and drink this twice a day.
- Chop a handful of spinach leaves and take one bowl of sliced carrots. Add both to about half litre of water. Boil for about 15-20 minutes. Strain the water and crush the vegetables. Extract the juice of vegetables to make the soup. Add salt and pepper according to the taste. Drink the soup two times a day.
- Take half teaspoon of baking soda and add this to one cup of water. Drink this once a day. This helps in painful micturition.
- Take warm water in a cup and add half to three-fourth of cinnamon powder to it. Mix well and drink this.
- Put three tablespoons of powdered coriander seeds and one tablespoon of powdered roc candy in a vessel containing three cups of water. Keep this overnight and them mix and drink one cup of the liquid three times a day. This is very good in relieving the urinary tract infection.