- November 4, 2019
- Posted by Dr. Karanvir Singh
- 0 Comment(s)
What is the Ayurvedic and Panchakarma Treatment for Ascites?
When there are more than 25 ml of fluid in the peritoneal cavity it leads to a condition known as ascites. Most commonly, ascites is due to a liver disease that is caused by enough protein to retain fluid in the bloodstream, it causes obstruction to flow scarred cirrhotic liver.
What are the Causes of Ascites?
The different causes of ascites are as follows:
- Liver cirrhosis is the most common cause
- Abdominal carcinoma
- Abdominal tuberculosis
- Renal dialysis
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Congestive heart failure
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Ascites?
Excess fluid accumulation causes increased abdominal size which is related to the following signs & symptoms of ascites:
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal bloating
- Abdominal discomfort
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting
What is an Ayurvedic View of Ascites?
In Ayurveda, ascites can be correlated with jalodara a type of udararoga (Disease of the abdomen). There is the aggravation of vata dosha in ascites which gets accumulated in udar (abdomen) between twaka (skin) and mamsa (muscles) which leads to abdominal swelling.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Ascites?
In Ayurvedic treatment for ascites, pure herbal medicines to improve digestion. The Ayurvedic treatment gives relief without any side effects.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides the best natural way to cure ascites by using “Ascites Care Kit”. This kit contains ayurvedic herbs which improve digestion and balances the aggravated levels of vata dosha. This kit contains 5 products – Gokhru capsules, Detox Premium Powder, Yakrit Vati, Sheet dhara syrup, Trikatu tablets, Gokhru churna.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1. Gokhru Capsule:
Gokhru capsule is pure ayurvedic medicine which is very effective in ascites as it has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the swelling of the abdomen. It also acts as diuretic which causes increased urine secretion from the body and removal of all the toxins. These capsules contain pure extract of Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris).
Recommended Dosage: Take one capsule twice daily with normal water.
2. Detox Premium Powder:
Detox premium powder contain various herbo-mineral ingredients. This herbal powder is prepared from Moti pishti, Prawal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy satva, Kamdudha ras, Jahar mohra, Akik pishti, Gandhak rasayan, Tal sindoor, Shankh bhasm, Sutshekhar ras, Sudhyog tab, Shwet parpati, Yavakshaar. This herbal powder helps in the removal of toxins from the whole body, strengthens the body, and helps in maintaining general health.
Recommended Dosage: Take one sachet twice daily with normal water.
3. Panchsakar Churna:
This churna is very effective for constipation patients as it shows antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, laxative, & analgesic properties. It is a classical herbal churna prepared from ingredients like Shatapushpa, Balaharitaki, Shunthi, Swarnapatri, & Saindhav lavana. It helps in removing all toxins from the body & provides good results in constipation. All signs & symptoms related to constipation are treated with the regular use of this churna.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful at bedtime with warm water.
4. Sheet Dhara Syrup:
This herbal syrup improves appetite, reduces hyperacidity, improves digestion, and helps in maintaining overall health. Sheet dhara syrup is herbal formula prepared from ajwain satav, peppermint, & mushak kapoor.
Recommended Dosage: Take a half teaspoon in a half cup of water twice daily on an empty stomach.
5. Trikatu Tablet:
Trikatu tablets are mixture of three herbs which are Saunth (Zingiber officinale), Marich (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum). These tablets improve digestion, boost your metabolism, helps in eliminating fat tissues and kapha dosha, support respiratory functions, and remove impurities and ama from the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take one tablet twice daily with normal water.
6. Gokhru Churna:
Gokhru churna is the single herbal powder that contains the pure extract of herb Gokshura. This powder act as a diuretic, decreases inflammation, used in renal calculi, & urinary tract infections.
Recommended Dosage: Take one teaspoonful twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment in Ascites?
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre offers effective ways to treat ascites through Ayurvedic medicines & Panchakarma procedures. The different Panchakarma procedures that are recommended in ascites are Patra potli pind sweda, Niruh vasti, and Anuvasana vasti that are done by the experienced therapist & gives effective results.
- Patra potli pinda sweda: It is a method of providing heat by using leaves of medicinal plants. In this therapy, medicated leaves are tied in bolus that are dipped in herbal oil after that it is heated. This lukewarm bolus is applied over the whole body. Patra potli pinda sweda procedure provides relief from pain, stiffness, inflammation, & improves circulation.
- Niruh vasti: Niruh vasti is the procedure of giving enema using herbal decoction. Niruh vasti helps in cleansing the body, balances the body’s metabolism, provides strength, improves complexion. It helps in removing extra fluid & toxins out from the body.
- Anuvasana vasti: Anuvasana vasti is enema in which herbal medicated oil or ghee is used to administer through anal route. This vasti nourishes the body, provides lubrication to the body, improves digestion, beneficial in chronic constipation, deal with distension of abdomen and backache.
Healthy Tips and Diet for Ascites
Here are some of the healthy tips & diets that are beneficial for ascites patients. These tips give good & effective results that are mentioned below in detail:
- Stop drinking alcohol.
- Limits the amount of fluid intake.
- Limit your daily intake of salt.
- Use ginger as it is a great herb that helps in the process of digestion and helps to remove the feeling of abdominal discomfort.
- Drink garlic juice mixed in water as it helps to cure ascites.
- Drink fresh bitter gourd juice mixed in water thrice daily.
- Crush fennel seeds and boil in hot water. Fennel seeds contain oils that reduce inflammation and bacteria causing bloating.
- Eat healthy food & avoid processed, fried, & stale food.
- Take diuretics like gokshura, punarnava, arjuna which helps to reduce the excess fluid in your body.
- Exercise daily as this helps in developing abdominal muscle.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.