Best Ayurvedic & Panchakarma Treatment for Psoriasis
Best Ayurvedic & Panchakarma treatment for Psoriasis : Psoriasis is defined as a long-lasting autoimmune disease which is characterized by patches of abnormal skin that are usually red, dry, itchy, and scaly. It is a common skin condition that speeds up the life cycle of skin cells. It affects men and women equally and can begin at any age, but it is most common between the age of 15-35 years and again between 50-60 years. Psoriasis is commonly associated with several other conditions, including- type 2 diabetes, inflammatory bowel syndrome, heart diseases, psoriatic arthritis, etc.
In Psoriasis, both environmental and genetic factors contribute to its pathogenesis. In particular, body weight, nutrition, and diet may trigger the disease. The worldwide prevalence of psoriasis is around 2 to 4%, but studies in developed countries have reported higher prevalence rates of on average about 4.6%.
What are the Causes of Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is mainly thought to be an immune system problem. Common causes are-
- Genetics – Having one parent with psoriasis increases your risk of getting the disease.
- Immune system – In the case of Psoriasis, white blood cells also known as T cells mistakenly attack the skin cells. This attacks the skin cell production process to go into overdrive. Overactive T cells attack the healthy skin cells and causing redness and sometimes pus in pustular lesions.
- Viral and Bacterial infections – People with HIV are more likely to develop this condition. Infections, such as strep throat.
- High-stress levels may increase the risk of psoriasis.
- Tobacco or smoking not only increases your risk of psoriasis but also increase the severity of this disease.
- Injury to the skin, such as cut, a bug bite or a severe sunburn.
- Heavy alcohol consumption.
- Cold, dry weather causes lack of moisture in the air worsens the Psoriasis.
- Vitamin D deficiency.
- Medications like Lithium are prescribed for bipolar disorder, anti-malarial drugs, beta blockers, etc.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Psoriasis?
Sign and symptoms are different in every individual but most of the common are –
- Red patches in the skin, covered with thick silvery scales
- Itching, burning sensation
- Swollen and stiff joints
- Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
How many Types of Psoriasis are there?
Psoriasis patches can range from a few spots of dandruff-like scaling to major eruptions that cover the large area and are of several types –
- Plaque psoriasis – It is the most common type and causes dry, raised, red skin lesions covered with silvery scales. They can occur anywhere on your body, including your genitals and soft tissues inside your mouth.
- Nail psoriasis – It mainly affects the fingernails and toenails thus cause pitting, abnormal nail growth, and discoloration. The Psoriatic nail might be loosened and also separate from the nail bed.
- Guttate psoriasis – This type of psoriasis primarily affects young adults and children. It is marked by small, water-drop-shaped, scaling lesions especially occur on arms, legs, scalp, and trunk.
- Inverse psoriasis – Inverse psoriasis causes smooth patches of red, inflamed skin that worsen with friction and sweating. It mainly affects the armpits, groin region, under the breasts and around the genitals.
- Pustular psoriasis – This can occur in widespread patches or in smaller areas on your hands, feet or fingerprints.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis – This is the least common type which covers your entire body with a red, peeling rash that can have itching and burning sensation.
- Psoriatic arthritis – Psoriatic arthritis affects the joint and symptoms range from mild to severe. It can cause stiffness and progressive joint damage and can lead to permanent deformity.
What is an Ayurvedic view of Psoriasis?
In Ayurveda, Psoriasis is co-related with the ‘Kitibha’. It is one of the varieties of eleven Ksudrakushta. It is commonly caused by the imbalance in the Vata and Kapha Dosha. Clinical features are – Syavam (Blackish brown discoloration of the skin), Kinakharsparsa (affected skin will be rough to touch like the scar tissue), and Parusa (hard to touch).
Kitibha can also enter into deep tissues which cause damage to tissue including bone, muscles, and joints which causes joint related pathology. If Vata dosha is predominant in the combination, excessive dryness and flaking are seen and if Kapha is predominant we can find silvery wet scaling with a lot of itching and considerable swelling.
What is an Ayurvedic Treatment of Psoriasis?
Even though this autoimmune system is said to be incurable, but many people seem to be finding an effective result through Ayurveda. Ayurvedic remedies are the best treatment that helps in curing psoriasis permanently of its root. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre facilitates the ‘’Psoriasis Care Kit’’ which contains all the natural herbs. This kit is especially made for the purpose of curing the skin disorders from the root with no side effects. The herbal kit is prepared from products like – Detox standard powder, Manjisthadi Churna, Skin Khada, Panchtikta Ghrit Guggulu, Sarvin Tablets.
Real Testimonial of Psoriasis Patient
All products description in detail
1. Detox Premium Powder:
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like Parwal Pishti, Giloy satv, Shukta Pishti, Kamdudha Ras, Gandhak Rasayan, etc.
Parwal Pishti: This Pishti reduces inflammation, flaking, itching of the skin. The Pishti is composed of natural coral calcium processed with rose water.
Shukta Pishti: It helps to balance the Pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to Psoriasis patients are managed with this article.
Giloy Satv: This satv is prepared from the herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties of this herb deal with psoriasis easily.
Kamdudha Ras: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances Pitta dosha in the body.
Gandhak Rasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
Akik Pishti: This Pishti reduces all types of Pitta related disorder hence it gives good results in psoriasis.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
2. Blood Purifier Syrup :
It is ayurvedic syrup that consists of various natural ingredients such as Khadir Chall (Acacia catechu), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Harad (Terminalia bellirica), Baheda (Terminalia chebula), Amla (Emblica officinalis), etc. As the syrup purifies the blood by removing excess toxins it is very beneficial in maintaining proper circulation and improves the skin naturally.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
3. Twak Tailam :
Twak tailam is very effective for the skin as it deeply nourishes the tissues and improves the skin luster. The tailam is composed of yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), etc. The tailam supports skin health, helps in reducing uneven pigments, improves complexion, and helps in deep detoxification and blood purification without any side effects.
Method of Application – Apply over the affected area of the skin.
4. Skin care tablet:
skin care tablet is a pure ayurvedic formulation. It help to maintain the texture of your skin depending on the type of skin you have. It contains various herbs like Haridra khand, Panchnimb churna, Khadir chahal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Chopchini, Gandhak, Ajmoda that work very effectively on all skin types. Skin care is a blood purifying tablet. It cools and detoxifies the blood, increase blood circulation of the skin. It minimizes the blemishes, lighten sun tan, delay ageing of skin and heal skin problems.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
5. Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu:
Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu is an ayurvedic preparation mainly used for skin diseases. This tablet contains pure herbal ingredients such as Nimba(Azadirachta indica), Patola(Cucumis acutangulus), Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia), Vasa(Adhatoda vasica), etc. This tablet promotes detoxification and rejuvenation. Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu tablet is a natural source of anti – oxidant. It promotes engender vibrant and healthy skin.
Recommended Dosage–Take 1 tablets twice a day with normal water.
6. Panchsakar Churna:
Panchsakar Churna is an ayurvedic formulation that consists of five ingredients named as – Saindhav Lavana (Rock Salt), Swarnapatri (Cassia angustifolia), Shatapushpa (Anethum sowa), Shunti – (Zingiber officinale), Balaharitaki (Unripe fruits of Terminalia chebula). Panchsakar Churna is naturally detoxifying, thus it removes the toxins from the body. It relieves inflammation and useful in all types of skin problems. The powder has an anti – inflammatory properties due to which it can reduces the swelling.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 teaspoonful with lukewarm water at bedtime.
7. Neem soap:
Neem soap is natural and herbal handmade soap prepared from the standard extract of herb Neem (Azadirachta indica). Neem herb is widely used to cure acute to chronic Skin problems such as Pimples, Itching, Dryness, Blemishes, Dark spots, Pigmentation, Scars etc. It is such a wonderful herb that is easily available and shows Anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, Anti-microbial, Antifungal, Antiseptic properties. Neem cleanses the pores and protects the skin from various infections, Psoriasis, Eczema, Leprosy, Skin ulcers. It restores the health of damaged skin, tones skin complexion, prevents premature ageing, Wrinkles, Fine lines can protect against UV rays, and acts as a natural moisturizer for the skin.
Method of Application: Neem Soap can be regularly used on face and body, as a bath soap.
8. Trikatu Tablet:
Trikatu Tablet helps to eliminate excess Kapha or mucous from the body, supports respiratory system, manages weight, helps to take out impurities or ama from the body, supports healthy detoxification, reduces swelling. It shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic, expectorant, antioxidant properties. This tablet is made up of equal parts of three herbs such as Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), & Marich (Piper nigrum) that maintains the metabolism in the body.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment of Psoriasis?
With the aim of better control of Psoriasis, Ayurveda also has a specific schedule comprised of various Panchakarma treatments. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provided you the best panchakarma therapies which detox the body in a natural way and ultimately cures the condition of psoriasis.
The Therapies for psoriasis patients are –
- Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda – In this therapy heated medicinal rice puddings are applied externally in the form of boluses tied up in a cotton cloth in a specific manner for a specific period of time. This therapy helps to improve circulation, nourishes the body and improves the strength of the tissues of bones and muscles.
- Patra Pottali Pinda Sweda – This therapy induces perspiration by using a heated pack of specific herbal leaves. In this, various herbal leaves are cut into small pieces to prepare a mixture. Vatahara tail is added to a mixture of grated leaves. Patra Pottali Pinda Sweda mainly works on Vata-Kaphja vyadhi and has an excellent result in relieving the pain, stiffness, and swelling.
- Anuvasan Basti –Basti therapy is highly useful as both a detoxification procedure and a route of delivery of medicine. Anuvasan basti contains lipophilic emulsions which facilitate direct absorption of the medicine into the per-rectal venous system and general circulation. Basti by eliminating the morbid content of large intestine will impact other tissues and promotes the health of the entire organism.
- Body Lepam – Lepam is a therapy in Panchakarma where a broad herbal paste is spread on the affected area of the body and allowed it to dry. This therapy is great in arthritis and all skin problems. Lepam is recommended to patients who are suffering from pain, inflammation, tingling, burning sensation, dryness, itching, etc.
Healthy Tips and Diet for Psoriasis Patients
By following the mentioned points you should minimize the condition of psoriasis –
- Avoid acidic (sour) foods, citrus fruits (lemon, orange), curd, buttermilk, pickles, and mangoes.
- Avoid all fermented food and bakery items.
- Grains such as whole grain bread, cereal, and brown rice are the best for psoriasis patients.
- Avoid red chilies, onion, dried fruits, preserved jams or juices.
- Having natural baths are helpful in keeping areas of psoriasis lesions clean and soft. After that, applying natural soothing oils, such as coconut or olive oil which may help to soften the skin and relieve itching and discomfort associated with psoriasis.
- The use of garlic is most beneficial as it has a lipoxygenase inhibitor that can help to stop the activity of enzymes responsible for inflammation.
- Carrots and squash can produce an anti-inflammatory effect on the body.
- Yoga plays an important role as it improves blood circulation, balancing hormones, scavenging free radicals, delivering more oxygen to cells. These asanas can provide your skin healthy – Uttanasana, Trikonasana, Bhujangasana, Janu sirsasana, Pawanmuktasana, Viparti karani, etc. These can help to remove toxins and skin may be left healthy and glowing.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.