Eczema is a condition that results in skin inflammation. This disease is characterized by itchiness, red skin, and rashes. In cases of short duration, there may be small blisters, while in long-term cases the skin may become thickened. The area of skin affected can vary from small to the whole body.
The itching can be especially bad, making it difficult to concentrate and sleep. It is also called atopic eczema or atopic dermatitis.
What are the Sign and Symptoms of Eczema?
The various signs & symptoms in eczema patients are:
- It may occur due to asthma, hay fever, etc.
- Irregular blood circulation in the legs
- Due to deficiency of vitamin B12
- Due to the inhalation of smoke and chemicals
- Due to change in weather
- Extreme stress
- Due to excessive heat
- Severe itching
- Dryness in the skin
- Redness of the skin
- Skin flaking
- Small bumps on the forehead, neck, and cheeks
What is The Ayurvedic View of Eczema?
According to Ayurveda, eczema can be compared with “vicharchika”. It is mainly caused due to the vitiation of the pitta dosha in the body. Pitta dosha overheat the rakta dhatu and predispose to toxic conditions that are expressed through the skin.
Eczema is more commonly seen in Pitta Prakarti people as pitta can overheat the rakta dhatu and predispose to toxic conditions that are expressed through the skin.
Factors that cause such skin problems include:
- Poor digestion
- Toxins in the bowel
- Incorrect diet
- Overuse of heavy, oily and sweet foods
- Excessive use of cosmetics, perfumes, synthetic creams, etc.
Three types of vicharchika have been described:
- Vataj Vicharchika-In this type, the patient has rough, dry, hard, scaly, and itchy skin. The condition gets aggravated by cold, wind, dryness and is relieved by the application of medicated oils.
- Pittaj Vicharchika-In this type, the patient has warm and inflamed skin. The condition gets aggravated on the exposure to heat.
- Kaphaj Vicharchika-In this type, the patient has cold, clammy, sticky, oozing, swollen and itchy skin. The condition gets worsen on exposure to cold and damp conditions or eating more of dairy products and sugar.
What is The Ayurvedic Treatment of Eczema?
Ayurveda provides numerous herbs that deal with all the signs and symptoms in eczema patients. Chandigarh Ayurved centre provides natural and herbal treatment for Eczema without causing any side effects on your body. It contains an herbal kit known as Eczema care kit that comprises of following products mentioned below:
Real Testimonial of Eczema Patient
1. Detox Premium Powder:
The eczema sachet consists of various herbo-mineral preparations in it.
Parwal Pishti: This Pishti is prepared from natural coral calcium processed with rose water. It reduces the inflammation in the eczema patients.
Shukta Pishti: It contains pearl oyster shell calcium processed in different ways. This Pishti balances the pitta dosha in the body.
Giloy Satv: This satv is prepared from the herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The antioxidant nature of this herb removes all toxins out from the body.
Gandhak Rasayana: The main ingredient in this is purified sulphur that acts as a blood purifier. This rasayana deal with all signs and symptoms related to eczema.
Sudhyog Tab: These are herbal tablets that provide very effective result in eczema patients.
Moti Pishti: This is an ayurvedic preparation that shows anti-inflammatory properties. As it reduces inflammation in eczema patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
2. Blood Purifier Syrup:
The herbal syrup is prepared from herbs like Khadir Chall (Acacia catechu), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Harad (Terminalia bellirica), Baheda (Terminalia chebula), & Amla (Emblica officinalis) that acts as a natural blood purifier. This herbal syrup reduces redness, itchiness, swelling on the skin.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
3. Panchtikat Ghrit Guggul:
This herbal preparation contain ingredients like Neem (Azadirachta indica), Patola (Trichosanthes dioica), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Vasa (Adhatoda vasica), Patha (Cissampelos pariera), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), etc that relieves all skin diseases. It balances Pitta & Kapha dosha in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water.
4. Twak churna:
Twak Churna balances all the three doshas of your body. It help reduce symptoms of various skin diseases like ECZEMA, PSORIASIS, cure FRECKLES, and other skin allergies. It help reduce Pigmentation of skin, MELASMA over face and Acne along with Urticaria, Cellulites and all kinds of Dermatitis. It contain ingredients like Yashtimadhu and Manjishtha that possess antioxidant, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoon twice daily with normal water.
5. Skin Care tablet:
Skin care tablet is herbo mineral and purely ayurvedic formulation. It help to maintain the texture of your skin depending on the type of skin you have. It contains various herbs like Haridra khand, Panchnimb churna, Khadir chahal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Chopchini, Gandhak, Ajmoda that work very effectively on all skin types. Skin care is a blood purifying tablet. It cools and detoxifies the blood, removes stagnant blood and dissolves obstructions in the blood flow that further increase blood circulation of the skin.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
6. Twak Tailam
TWAK TAILAM is the herbal oil and is purely Ayurvedic preparation. CAC Twak Tailam provides relief from various skin problems such as pimples, blemishes, scars, ulcers, wounds, skin rashes, dry patches, itching, skin irritation, reduces redness, etc. It is composed of natural herbs that pacifies all three doshas and provides healthy skin. This oil is made up of pure herbs such as yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), manjistha (Rubia cordifolia). Twak tailam supports skin health, helps in reducing uneven pigments, delays the process of ageing, improves complexion, and helps in deep detoxification, blood purification without any side effects.
Recommended Dosage: Apply to affected area twice daily.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Eczema?
Panchakarma treatment for eczema adopts an elaborate process to purify blood to cure the root cause of the disease: The various panchakarma procedures for eczema patients are:
- Twak Basti – Basti has a great healing capability and is considered to be the half treatment for many diseases. The treatment is mainly used for removing out loosened doshas from the body via the intestinal tract. In Ayurveda, there are many types of Basti or medicated enema. Twak Basti is prepared from teekshan dravyas and medicinal plant substitutes. Twak Basti improves your skin disorders and maintains a good complexion of the skin. It is a combination of Giloy, Manjistha, Neem, etc herbal plants.
- SSPS (Shasti shali pinda sweda): In this procedure medicated rice along with medicated oil and Manjisthadi powder is used on the full body. It is very effective and has good results in your body. Medicinal properties of these herbs help in curing itching, skin complexion, redness of the skin, and many more skin problems.
- Lepam: A freshly prepared medicinal herbal Lepam is applied on the affected part of the body. This Lepam helps in burning sensation of the skin. A medicinal powder called Manjisthadi powder is used in this therapy. This powder is very effective in eczema and any kind of skin disorder.
- Anuvasna Basti: In this procedure, Basti is prepared from pippliyadi tailam & administered to patients. It provides effective results to the eczema patients.
Healthy Tips & Diet for Eczema Patients
- Avoid excessive salt in your diet.
- Avoid cold drinks and ice creams.
- The bitter taste is useful in eczema. Vegetables like bitter gourd must be preferred.
- Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, milk, eggs, cheese, fish and hot spices.
- Intake of spices and oil aggravates the condition of eczema.
- Avoid taking sour food, pickles, papad, curds, etc.
- Keep yourself away from anger, resentment, and frustration.
- Avoid contact with fluffy toys, grass, flowers, and chemicals.
Home Remedies in Eczema
- Crush few Margosa leaves and take one tablespoon of this pulp. Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix well to make a paste. Apply this on the affected areas.
- Take 200 grams of mustard oil. Add 50 grams of Margosa leaves and heat the mustard oil till the leaves turn black. Allow the oil to cool. Strain the oil and apply to the affected area three times a day.
- Remove the outer skin of the Aloe Vera leaves. Extract the gel from inside. Apply this gel on the affected skin. Leave it for 30 minutes. Do this twice a day.
- Prepare an ointment by boiling together one part of sesame oil, 16 parts of milky juice of ark and one part of turmeric. Apply it externally at least two times a day.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.