Eczema is a condition that results in skin inflammation. This disease is characterized by itchiness, red skin, and rashes. In cases of short duration, there may be small blisters, while in long-term cases the skin may become thickened. The area of skin affected can vary from small to the whole body.
The itching can be especially bad, making it difficult to concentrate and sleep. It is also called atopic eczema or atopic dermatitis.
What are the Sign and Symptoms of Eczema?
The various signs & symptoms in eczema patients are:
- It may occur due to asthma, hay fever, etc.
- Irregular blood circulation in the legs
- Due to deficiency of vitamin B12
- Due to the inhalation of smoke and chemicals
- Due to change in weather
- Extreme stress
- Due to excessive heat
- Severe itching
- Dryness in the skin
- Redness of the skin
- Skin flaking
- Small bumps on the forehead, neck, and cheeks
What is The Ayurvedic View of Eczema?
According to Ayurveda, eczema can be compared with “vicharchika”. It is mainly caused due to the vitiation of the pitta dosha in the body. Pitta dosha overheat the rakta dhatu and predispose to toxic conditions that are expressed through the skin.
Eczema is more commonly seen in Pitta Prakarti people as pitta can overheat the rakta dhatu and predispose to toxic conditions that are expressed through the skin.
Factors that cause such skin problems include:
- Poor digestion
- Toxins in the bowel
- Incorrect diet
- Overuse of heavy, oily and sweet foods
- Excessive use of cosmetics, perfumes, synthetic creams, etc.
Three types of vicharchika have been described:
- Vataj Vicharchika-In this type, the patient has rough, dry, hard, scaly, and itchy skin. The condition gets aggravated by cold, wind, dryness and is relieved by the application of medicated oils.
- Pittaj Vicharchika-In this type, the patient has warm and inflamed skin. The condition gets aggravated on the exposure to heat.
- Kaphaj Vicharchika-In this type, the patient has cold, clammy, sticky, oozing, swollen and itchy skin. The condition gets worsen on exposure to cold and damp conditions or eating more of dairy products and sugar.
What is The Ayurvedic Treatment of Eczema?
Ayurveda provides numerous herbs that deal with all the signs and symptoms in eczema patients. Chandigarh Ayurved centre provides natural and herbal treatment for Eczema without causing any side effects on your body. It contains an herbal kit known as Eczema care kit that comprises of following products mentioned below:
1. Standard Detox Powder
These sachets are purely natural and cure in a natural way. The ingredients used in this powder show an anti-inflammatory property. These sachets are very beneficial in reducing the itching and burning sensation of the body. It helps in building up the immune system and eliminates the harmful effects of Eczema; remove dark spots, pimples, redness, etc. It purifies the blood which in turn treats the skin disorders, skin irritation, & itching. These Sachets contain ingredients like Parwal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy satva, Tal sindoor, Gandhak rasayan, Sudhyog, & Moti Pishti, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 Sachet twice a day with normal water.
2. Panchtikat Ghrita Guggulu
It promotes detoxification and rejuvenation.This Tablet is a natural source of antioxidants. It keeps a vibrant and healthy skin. Panchtikat Ghrita Guggul mainly helps in purification of the blood.
Recommended Dosage- Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
3. Manjisthadi Churna
This herbal churna is prepared from herb Manjistha & Neem. These both herbs show anti-acne properties. It helps in reducing uneven pigmentation. Manjisthadi churna mainly helps in deep detoxification and blood purification. The churna can be used for dry skin, rashes, acne. It prevents occurrence of acne, improves the complexion and skin condition. Manjisthadi churna is safe to use and helps in removing the toxins from the blood. This churna is very effective in controlling various skin diseases.
Recommended Dosage– Take one teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
4. Blood Purifier Syrup
This herbal syrup contains ingredients like – Chirayta, Khadir chall, Majith root, Chopchini, Neem Chall, Giloy, Bahera, Aamla, Haridra, etc. It gently and deeply cleanses the skin. This syrup makes your skin fair and bright. Blood purifier syrup reduces spots, marks, and blemishes. This decoction is suitable for treating eczema.
Recommended Dosage –Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day with normal.
5. Sarvin Tablets
It contains ingredients like– Anantmool, Shudh Gandhak, Shudh Hartal, Kalijairi, Khadira chall, etc. These tablets are widely used in skin diseases. It provides best results in redness, inflammation, itching, & burning sensation in eczema patients.
Recommended Dosage– Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Eczema?
Panchakarma treatment for eczema adopts an elaborate process to purify blood to cure the root cause of the disease: The various panchakarma procedures for eczema patients are:
- Twak Basti – Basti has a great healing capability and is considered to be the half treatment for many diseases. The treatment is mainly used for removing out loosened doshas from the body via the intestinal tract. In Ayurveda, there are many types of Basti or medicated enema. Twak Basti is prepared from teekshan dravyas and medicinal plant substitutes. Twak Basti improves your skin disorders and maintains a good complexion of the skin. It is a combination of Giloy, Manjistha, Neem, etc herbal plants.
- SSPS (Shasti shali pinda sweda): In this procedure medicated rice along with medicated oil and Manjisthadi powder is used on the full body. It is very effective and has good results in your body. Medicinal properties of these herbs help in curing itching, skin complexion, redness of the skin, and many more skin problems.
- Lepam: A freshly prepared medicinal herbal Lepam is applied on the affected part of the body. This Lepam helps in burning sensation of the skin. A medicinal powder called Manjisthadi powder is used in this therapy. This powder is very effective in eczema and any kind of skin disorder.
- Anuvasna Basti: In this procedure, Basti is prepared from pippliyadi tailam & administered to patients. It provides effective results to the eczema patients.
Healthy Tips & Diet for Eczema Patients
- Avoid excessive salt in your diet.
- Avoid cold drinks and ice creams.
- The bitter taste is useful in eczema. Vegetables like bitter gourd must be preferred.
- Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, milk, eggs, cheese, fish and hot spices.
- Intake of spices and oil aggravates the condition of eczema.
- Avoid taking sour food, pickles, papad, curds, etc.
- Keep yourself away from anger, resentment, and frustration.
- Avoid contact with fluffy toys, grass, flowers, and chemicals.
Home Remedies in Eczema
- Crush few Margosa leaves and take one tablespoon of this pulp. Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix well to make a paste. Apply this on the affected areas.
- Take 200 grams of mustard oil. Add 50 grams of Margosa leaves and heat the mustard oil till the leaves turn black. Allow the oil to cool. Strain the oil and apply to the affected area three times a day.
- Remove the outer skin of the Aloe Vera leaves. Extract the gel from inside. Apply this gel on the affected skin. Leave it for 30 minutes. Do this twice a day.
- Prepare an ointment by boiling together one part of sesame oil, 16 parts of milky juice of ark and one part of turmeric. Apply it externally at least two times a day.