Eczema is defined as the inflammation of the skin. It is common against children. It is also known as dermatitis. It affects people of all the age groups. The general predisposing factors are age, familial tendency, allergy, debility, climate and psychological factors. It usually occurs in infancy, at puberty and at the time of menopause. Climatic conditions such as extreme heat, dampness and severe cold promote the development of eczema. Local factors such as dry skin, greasy skin, excessive sweating and varicose veins predispose to eczema.
- Due to certain ailments such as asthma, hay fever etc
- Irregular blood circulations in the legs.
- Due to deficiency of vitamin B12
- Due to detergents, solvents, smoke and chemicals.
- Due to change in weather
- Extreme stress
- Due to excessive heat
- Severe itching
- Dryness in the skin
- Redness of the skin
- Skin flaking
- Small bumps on the forehead, neck and cheeks
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT FOR ECZEMA – ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, eczema can be compared with vicharchika. It is mainly caused due to the vitiation of the pitta dosha in the body. Pitta dosha overheat the rakta dhatu and predispose to toxic conditions which are expressed through the skin.
Eczema is more commonly seen Pitta Prakriti people as pitta can overheat the rakta dhatu and predispose to toxic conditions which are expressed through the skin.
Factors that cause such skin problems include:
- Poor digestion
- Toxins in the bowel
- Incorrect diet
- Over use of sour, salty or pungent tastes
- Over use of heavy, oily and sweet foods
- Over use of cosmetics, perfumes, synthetic creams etc
Three types of vicharchika have been described:
- Vataj Vicharchika- in this type, the patient has rough, dry, hard, scaly and itchy skin. The condition gets aggravated by cold, wind, dryness and is relieved by the application of medicated oils.
- Pittaja Vicharchika- In this type, the patient has hot and inflamed skin. The condition gets aggravated on the exposure to heat.
- Kaphaja Vicharchika- in this type, the patient has cold, clammy, sticky, oozing, swollen and itchy skin. The condition gets worsen on exposure to cold and damp conditions or eating more of dairy products and sugar.
Single herbs useful in this condition are:
- Barberry root
- Sandal wood
- Licourice root
Ayurvedic formulations beneficial in vicharchika are:
- Manjishthadi Churna
- Nimbadi Churna
- Nimbadi Guggulu
- Panch Tikta Ghrit Guggulu
- Haridra Khand
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Eladi Tail
- Manjishthadi Tail
- Yashtimadhuadi Tail
- Shudh Yoga Tablets
- Mahamanjishthadi Ghan Vati
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Aloe Vera Juice
- Guduchyadi Tail
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Avoid salt in your diet.
- Avoid cold drinks and ice creams.
- Bitter taste is useful in eczema. Vegetables like bitter gourd must be preferred.
- Intake of spices and oil aggravate the condition of eczema.
- Avoid taking sour food.
- Avoid taking pickles, curds etc.
- Try to keep away from excessive sweating.
- Take light diet.
- Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, milk, eggs, cheese, fish and hot spices.
- Avoid anger, resentment and frustration.
- Avoid contact with fluffy toys, grass, flowers and chemicals.
- Crush few Margosa leaves and take one tablespoon of this pulp. Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix well to make a paste. Apply this on the affected areas.
- Take 200 grams of mustard oil. Add 50 grams of margosa leaves and heat the mustard oil till the leaves turn black. Allow the oil to cool. Strain the oil and apply on the affected area three times a day.
- Remove the outer skin of the aloe vera leaves. Extract the gel from inside. Apply this gel on the affected skin. Leave it for 30 minutes. Do this twice a day.
- Prepare an ointment by boiling together one part of til tail, 16 parts of milky juice of arka and one part of turmeric. Apply it externally atleast two times a day.