Epistaxis is also called acute hemorrhage or nose bleed. It is a medical condition in which bleeding occurs from the nasal cavity of nostrils. This is a sign of increase in the body’s heat and is also caused due to increased blood pressure and some other systemic disorders. People usually suffer from this condition in the summers.
Most nosebleeds are benign, self-limiting and spontaneous. Bleeding from the nose usually occurs when the membranes lining the inner nose are disturbed or irritated and cause abnormal bleeding.
Bleeding from the nose is a common complaint presenting an emergency. Epistaxis is often a frightening sight and can be due to some heart diseases, pregnancy, bleeding disorders and acute general conditions like typhoid, pneumonia, malaria, dengue fever, measles, etc.
What are the Sign and Symptoms of Epistaxis?
The signs & symptoms of Epistaxis are:
- Injury or trauma to the nasal area
- Insertion of sharp objects into the nose
- Consumption of alcohol, spicy and hot food
- Prolonged exposure to excessive dry heat
- Sinus infection in the nasal cavity
- Due to any nasal surgery
- Sticking of foreign particles in the nose
- Excessive sneezing
- Repeated blowing of the nose in a vigorous manner
- Allergic rhinitis
- Vascular formation in the nose
- Tumors or polyps in the nose
- Due to high blood pressure
- Exposure to irritants like ammonia
- Due to suffering from a common cold
- Due to overuse of nasal sprays
- A sudden change in altitude may also cause bleeding from the nose.
Bleeding usually starts from one nostril. In Some cases, heavy bleeding fills up both the nostrils and overflows the nasopharynx. Sometimes, blood may drip back from the nose through the throat to stomach. A person is likely to have vomit in such a condition. Other symptoms include –
- Bleeding from the nose
- Weakness in the body
- Bleeding from other parts like, teeth, gums, etc that indicate the inability of blood to clot
- Sometimes bleeding occurs from the other parts of the body such as in the urine or bowel movements or easy bruising also indicates an inability of the blood to clot.
What are the Causes of Epistaxis?
The main causes include: Structural or anatomical deformities such as hereditary hemorrhage. Nasal sprays and prolonged usage of nasal steroids. Conditions like vitamins C and vitamins K deficiencies, some rare condition of pregnancy due to hypertension, hormonal imbalance, allergic rhinitis, cocaine, infectious disease or high blood pressure leads to epistaxis.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Epistaxis?
According to Ayurveda, Epistaxis is compared with the “Urdhava Raktapitta”. When there is an increase in the level of vata and pitta dosha in the body, it mixes up with the blood tissue or rakta dhatu and cause bloody nose. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides a kit known as “Epistaxis care kit” mentioned below in detail:
1. Detox Premium Powder
Detox premium powder is prepared from ingredients such as Shankh bhasma, Sutshekhar ras, Parwal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy, Kamdudha ras, Shwet parpati that gives calming effect on the stomach. These sachets have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antacid properties. It mainly affects in lowering the pitta dosha of the body and maintains signs & symptoms related to Epistaxis.
Recommended Dosage: Take one sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Pain –O- Kill Syrup
This herbal syrup includes-Hadjod stem, Ashwagandha roots, Shalaki Gum, Suranjan sweet Gum, Punarnava Root, Methi seeds, Nirgundi leaves, Garlic Bulb, etc herbs in it. These herbs give good & effective results in Epistaxis.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice a day.
3. Anu Tailam
Anu tailam is herbal and ayurvedic oil used for the nasal instillation in the treatment of various diseases. It is administrated through the nasal passage to lubricate, protect, and calm down the mind. This tailam contains ingredients like – Sesame oil, Bael tree root, Solanum root, Cinnamon stem bark, Holostemma tuber, Cardamom fruit, Desmodium root, etc. Anu tailam mainly balances the Kapha dosha and gives good results in diseases of the head, brain, face, nose, and eyes. Its use is generally recommended in Epistaxis, chronic headache, problem of migraine, sinusitis, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Put 2-3 drops of Anu tailam in each nostril.
4. Ekangvir Ras
Ekangvir ras is herbal preparation helpful in nervous system disorders. It contains ingredients like Rasa sindoor, Gandhak rasayan, Nag bhasma, Tamra bhasma, Aamlaki, Triphla, Chitrak, Bhringraj, kuchala, Dhatura, Adrak, etc. These components have natural sources of calcium, vitamin D, and other nutrients. It provides effective results to Epistaxis patients.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice a day with honey.
5. Vaat Nashak
These are herbal tablets prepared from ingredients like abhrak, Giloy, trivang bhasma, & Jahar mohra pishti, etc. It provides effective results to Epistaxis patients & balances vata dosha in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Epistaxis?
Panchakarma is the best way to heal the body as it balances all three doshas in the body. For Epistaxis patients mainly two therapies are recommended known as nasya & patra potli pind sweda:
- Nasya: Nasya has dual action that is pacificatory and purificatory. It promotes the strength of indriya. Anu tail nasya is specially recommended by the Charka Acharya as preventive measures for Urdhava jatrugata vikara. This therapy takes about 30 minutes.
- Patra potli pind sweda: It is a medicated process in which a medicated herbal potli is used all over your body. The leaves of various medicinal plants have different kinds of properties that help in relieving pain, inflammation, & improve circulation in the affected part. The herbal leaves like Nirgundi, Arka, Eranda, etc are used in this procedure. This whole process is carried out for 45 minutes to 1hour.
Healthy Tips & Diet for Epistaxis Patients
All patients should follow some simple tips & diet in life mentioned below:
- Don’t eat hot and spicy food
- Avoid intake of alcohol
- Avoid smoking
- Drink plenty of water
- Don’t work under the sun for a prolonged time
- Avoid mental tensions and stress
- Old rice, cow’s milk, and butter are highly beneficial
- Eight hour sleep is necessary for the body
- Don’t expose yourself to the dry atmosphere
- Consume fruits like pomegranate, grapes, apple, pear, peach, musk melon, watermelon, etc.
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Include green vegetables, whole grains, and all types of lentils in your diet.
- Avoid caffeinated products like soda, energy drink, & other beverages.
- Jala neti and sutra neti are helpful in the recovery of Epistaxis.
- Anulom- vilom pranayam helps in maintaining the balance of dosha of the body.
- Do practice certain asanas like Pawanmukta asana, Ardha Chandrasana, Nararajasana, etc.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.