Erectile dysfunction is known as impotence. It is defined as the inability of a man to achieve or maintain penile erection sufficient for his sexual needs. It affects about 50% of men aged 40 and over.
Male sexual arousal involves stimulation of brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles and blood vessels. Erectile dysfunction can result when there is a problem in any one of these. Stress and mental health concerns can even worsen the erectile dysfunction.
Due to sensory or mental stimulation, the erection begins. Due to impulses from brain and local nerves the muscles of corpora cavernosa relax and allow the blood to flow in and fill the spaces of the corpora cavernosa. The blood flow creates the pressure making the penis expand. The tunica albuginea helps trap the blood in the chambers, thereby sustaining the erection. When muscles in the penis contract to stop the inflow of blood and open outflow channels, erection recedes.
A number of factors that are responsible for causing erectile dysfunction are:
- High blood pressure
- Diabetes mellitus
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Sleep disorders
- Metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Tobacco use
- Due to smoking
- Clogged blood vessels
- Any damage in the Nerves or spinal cord
- Due to adverse effects of certain medicines like that of anti depressants, tranquilizers and anti hypertensive medicines
- Low testosterone levels
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Inability to have or to sustain a penile erection to complete satisfactory sexual activity
- Trouble getting an erection
- Trouble keeping an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
- Ability to achieve only brief erections
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, Erectile Dysfunction is known as klaivya. Vitiation of Vata dosha causes this disorder. Apana Vayu performs the functions of ejaculation of semen, voiding of urine and stools. Vitiation of this type of vayu causes klaivya.
Normally when a man has desire to have sex, his response towards touch increases which causes harsha. Harsha intensifies action of vayu and as a result highly active vayu liberates the teja or heat. Both the teja and vayu increase the body temperature, heart beat and blood flow causing erection of the penis. But due to certain factors this process gets disturbed and leads to erectile dysfunction.
Ayurveda also believes that decrease in the production of shukra dhatu also causes erectile dysfunction. It is believed that shoka, chinta, bhaya, traasa and consumption of rooksha anna paana cause decrease in shukra dhatu. Shukra dhatu is also decreased due to any aaghata or kshata from weapon. Besides, improper production of rasa dhatu also leads to improper development to next dhatus ultimately leading to the klaivya.
Vajikarana Chikitsa is recommended for this disease in ayurveda. This treatment leads to happiness, strength, improves the potency to produce offspring and increases the span of erection.
Ayurvedic formulations useful in this condition are:
- Shilajeet Vati
- Ashwagandha Churna
- Ashwagandha Avaleha
- Musli Pak
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Take simple, chemical free diet, as chemicals rich food can affect the nervous functioning and sexual activity
- Eat the food stuffs that do not cause constipation or lead to the formation of the flatulence
- Avoid eating potato, beans, peas, brinjal that would further deteriorate the condition
- Prefer eating fruits and vegetables
- Have lemon water to release gases easily
- Avoid taking excessive salt
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and tobacco
- Include consumption of dry fruits and milk & its products in your diet
- Consumption of pure ghee is highly useful in erectile dysfunction
- Perform yogasana and suryanamaskar that will improve in toning the muscles
- Take half a bowl of chopped carrots and add one half boiled egg. Add two tablespoons of honey. Mix well and have it once a day.
- Boil a handful of drumstick flowers in one glass of milk. Drink it lukewarm and sip it every day for 1-2 months.
- Crush ginger to a paste and take two teaspoon of this ginger paste. Add two teaspoon of honey. Mix well and have this three times a day.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.