Fibromyalgia is defined as the neurosensory disorder in which there is non inflammatory pain and tenderness in the muscles, ligaments and joints. Although the condition is chronic but the onset of pain is sudden. Pain comes and goes and moves about the body.
- Imbalance in the nervous system
- Building up of toxins and impurities in the body
- Due to stress and depression
- Decreased level of serotonin causes fibromyalgia
- Weakened immune system
- Pain in whole body
- Stiffness in the body
- Continuous headache for a long period of time
- Sleep disorders mainly disturbed sleep
- Numbness in the body
- Anxiety and depression
- Dryness in the body
- Hypersensitivity towards cold or hot things
- Problems with thinking and memory
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, fibromyalgia is compared with Mansa dhatugat Vata and Mansavrut Vata. It is caused due to the imbalance of vata dosha in the body. Vata dosha is the physiological energy of the body responsible for stability and activity of the nervous system. And when due to certain reasons, vata gets aggravated it causes destabilization of the nervous system leading to pain and stiffness in the body.
Accumulation of ama or toxins in the body is also responsible for causing fibromyalgia. The toxins get accumulated in the tissues and lead to fatigueness. Continuous aggravation of the toxins or ama result in pain, tenderness and hypersensitivity to stimulation. Toxins also cause blockage of the channels of circulation thereby allowing more impurities to accumulate within the tissues.
Stressful conditions also play a major role in causing this disease.
Therefore ayurvedic line of treatment in fibromyalgia is based on the following principles:
- Balancing the nervous system or maintaining the vata dosha
- Removal of toxins and impurities from the body using Panchkarma therapies
- Removing stress causing factors
- Improving mental and emotional function
- Strengthening the digestive system
Panchkarma therapies recommended in this case are:
- Sarvanga Abhyanga for balancing the nervous system or pacifying vata dosha
- Patra Pinda Sweda
- Shaali Shashtik Pinda Sweda for cleansing the areas of chemical impurities
- Shirodhara using ksheerbala and bhring Amalaki taila to relieve mental stress and tension
- Internal basti- Anuvasana Basti with Mahanarayan tail, Triphaladi tail and ksheerbala tail to remove the toxins out from the body
Single herbs useful in fibromyalgia are:
- Aloe vera
- Licourice root
Ayurvedic formulations useful in this are:
- Ashwagandha Churna
- Ashwagandha Avaleha
- Panchskar Churna
- Amrit Dhara
- Aamvatahari Rasa
- Aloe Vera Juice
- Chitrakadi Vati
- Hingvadi Vati
- Vishmushti Vati
- Prawal Pishti
- Shukta Pishti
- Giloy Satva
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Include vegetable juices and soups in your diet
- Have coconut water and coconut milk
- Juice of carrot, cucumber and beetroot should be taken
- Spices like cumin, coriander, ginger and hing are useful in fibromyalgia. Therefore these should be included in your diet.
- Salad with lemon juice and little salt can be taken.
- Avoid eating hot, spicy and fried foods.
- Tea, coffee, alcohol should be avoided.
- Avoid sleeping during day time or waking up till late night.
- Avoid taking mental tensions.
- Stress, mental fatigue and anxiety should be avoided by the person suffering from fibromyalgia.
- Drink hot water throughout the day.
- Practice yoga like shavasana, meditation, pranayama Anuloma viloma for the relaxation of the mind.
- Prepare a mixture of Ashwagandha powder, shatavari churna and bala moola churna taken in equal quantities and store it in the tight jar. Take one teaspoon of this mixture with warm milk or water two times a day.
- Prepare a powdered preparation of dried ginger root, celery seeds and cumin seeds taken in equal quantities. Then add rock salt to taste and have one teaspoon of this with water before going to sleep at night.
- Take half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with warm water twice a day. This helps in reducing pain and inflammation.
- Boil one teaspoon of grated ginger root in eight ounces of hot water for 10 minutes. Strain and add honey to it. Have this two or three times a day.