Heart disease is a condition that affects your heart & mainly occurs due to the sedentary lifestyle of an individual. The heart diseases that are very common are (arrhythmias) heart rhythm problems, coronary artery disease, congenital heart defects (defect in heart by birth), dilated cardiomyopathy, heart failure, myocardial infarction, mitral regurgitation, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, pulmonary stenosis, mitral valve prolapse, pericardial disease, rheumatic heart disease, etc.
The heart is the most important organ in our body as if it stops working then we get died. Heart diseases are also known as cardiovascular diseases that involve blocked or narrow blood vessels that cause heart attack, stroke, & pain in the chest region. Ayurveda provides the best & effective treatment for different heart diseases.
What are the signs & symptoms seen in different types of heart diseases?
The different signs & symptoms according to the type of heart diseases are:
1) Atherosclerotic disease: The different signs & symptoms seen are chest pain, chest discomfort, pressure on the chest, shortness of breath, pain in neck, throat, jaw, upper abdomen, weakness, coldness, numbness, or pain in legs or arms if the blood vessels get narrowed in those body parts.
2) Heart arrhythmia (Abnormal heartbeat): In this condition, your heart may beat too slow, too quick, or irregularly. The common symptoms seen in these patients are the slow heartbeat, pain in chest, discomfort, dizziness, lightheadness, shortness of breath, racing heartbeat, fainting.
3) Dilated cardiomyopathy: The signs & symptoms seen in these patients are fatigue, swelling in legs, ankles, feet, breathlessness, irregular heartbeats, fainting, dizziness, lightheadedness, etc.
4) Congenital heart disease: It is the defect that you are born with & seen soon after birth. The signs & symptoms seen are blue or pale gray skin color, shortness of breath, swelling in the legs, abdomen, & around the eyes.
5) Heart infections: This affects the chambers & valves of the heart. The signs & symptoms seen are weakness, shortness of breath, fever, swelling in the abdomen or legs, changes in heart rhythm, dry cough, skin rashes or unusual spots.
6) Valvular heart disease: In this condition, valves get damaged leading to stenosis, prolapse, & regurgitation. The signs & symptoms seen are chest pain, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, fatigue, swollen feet or ankle, fainting, etc.
What are the causes of heart diseases?
According to the type of heart diseases, there are different causes related:
1) Atherosclerosis: Atherosclerosis is the most common cause of heart disease. Being overweight, unhealthy diet, smoking, & lack of exercise is the reason for it.
2) Heart arrhythmia: Heart arrhythmia causes abnormal heartbeat due to high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, congenital heart defects, stress, drug abuse, valvular heart disease, excessive consumption of caffeine or alcohol, etc.
3) Dilated cardiomyopathy: It is caused by reduced blood flow to the heart that results in damage after a heart attack, toxins, infections, & certain drugs.
4) Restrictive cardiomyopathy: It is the least common cardiomyopathy that may cause hemochromatosis, amyloidosis, & other connective tissue disorders.
5) Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: In this type, the heart muscles become abnormal. It develops due to high blood pressure or aging.
6) Heart infections: The bacteria, parasites, & viruses are responsible for the development of heart infections.
7) Valvular heart disease: The different causes of heart valvular disease are infections, connective tissue disorders, & rheumatic fever.
What are the risk factors of heart diseases?
There are different risk factors that are responsible for heart diseases:
- Age: As the age increases there is a high risk of damaged & narrowed arteries that ultimately causes heart diseases.
- Family history: In your family, if anyone is having history of heart disease than you may have this disease.
- Sex: Men are at higher risk of developing heart disease as compare to women.
- Unhealthy diet: Consumption of extra fat, sugar, salt, & cholesterol increases the risk of heart disease.
- High cholesterol levels: Increased cholesterol levels in the blood forms plaques & atherosclerosis.
- High blood pressure: High blood pressure results in thickening & hardening of arteries that in the end develop heart disease.
- Obesity: Obese people are at a higher risk.
- Diabetes: Diabetes a life-style disorder increases the risk of heart disease.
- Stress: Excessive stress damages the arteries in the heart & develop heart diseases.
What is the Ayurvedic view of heart diseases?
In Ayurveda, the heart is named as “Haridya”. The imbalance of three doshas Vata, Pitta, & Kapha is responsible for the development of different types of heart diseases.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment for heart diseases?
In Ayurveda, there are many herbs that will deal with all the heart diseases. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre introduces “Heart Care Kit” for maintaining the signs & symptoms related to heart diseases.
All products description in detail:
Here are the details of all the medicines:
1. Detox Premium Powder
Detox premium powder is an ayurvedic formulation that is made up of Giloy satav, Akik pishti, Tal sindoor, Shankh bhasma, Shukta pishti, Parwal pishti, etc. This powder is very beneficial to protect the heart from various conditions. It can help in relieving the pain, discomfort, fainting, dizziness, and other associated symptoms.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Trikatu Syrup
Trikatu syrup combines the goodness of black pepper, ginger, and long pepper. The syrup of trikatu is said to show anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, digestive, pain-relieving, and expectorant properties. It improves immunity and fights against all the micro-organisms. The medicine dilates coronary blood vessels, improves blood flow, strengthens heart muscles, and helps to rid of excess salt and water.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonfuls thrice daily.
3. Rasayan Vati
The tablet mainly composed of those herbs which pacify the imbalanced vata dosha. Each tablet contains jahar mohra, abhrak bhasma, giloy, etc. that is very beneficial to reduce chest pain, control dizziness, fainting, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
4. Hrudroga Chintamani Rasa
Hrudroga Chintamani rasa is a unique formulation and is very effective in the treatment of heart diseases and related symptoms. It acts as a cardioprotective and anti-arrhythmic medicine providing strength to the heart muscles and maintains heart rate. This medicine is very useful in relieving pain and maintains blood optimum viscosity.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
5. Nerve up tablet
Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata doshas & kapha dosha, and acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. This tablet helps in memory boosting, reduces stress, act as immune-modulator. It also shows effective results in disorders of heart and circulatory system.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 tablet twice daily.
What is the Panchakarma treatment for Heart diseases?
Along with Ayurvedic medicines, panchakarma treatment provides quick & effective results to heart disease patients. The procedures that are recommended to heart disease patients are:
1) Abhyangam: In this procedure, massage is done with herbal oils for maintaining proper blood circulation in the body.
2) Haridya Vasti: In this therapy, a ring with flour is made on the chest region. Put hot medicated oil in this ring after that massage is done.
3) Shiro dhara: In this procedure, lukewarm medicated oil is put dropwise on the forehead. After that message is done of the head & forehead. It will reduce the stress that is responsible for the development of heart diseases.
Healthy diet & Lifestyle:
The patient should follow a healthy diet along with lifestyles for reducing the risk of development of heart diseases. So follow some healthy tips mentioned below:
1) Drink plenty of water.
2) Include vegetables such as bottle gourd, ridge gourd, bitter gourd, pumpkin, green leafy vegetables in your diet.
3) Eat fruits such as apple, papaya, peach, pear, banana, muskmelon, kiwi, noni, watermelon, etc.
4) Do perform yoga poses such as sukhasana, uttanasana, janu sirsasana, adho mukha svanasana, setu bandha savangasana, tadasana, & do meditation for 15 minutes.
5) Walk daily for half an hour or one hour.
6) Drink green coconut water & herbal tea prepared from Arjun herb.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.