Cervical spondylosis is defined as the inflammation of the cervical vertebrae. It is a nervous system disorder or a degenerative disease of the bones and discs in the neck, which can lead to a variety of problems such as herniated discs.
- Trauma or any injury
- Excessive intake of sour and spicy food in your diet causes early degeneration
- Incorrect posture while sleeping and working
- Genetic abnormality
- Working on computer for long hours
- Increase in age
- Due to intake of cold food
- Direct exposure of wind
- Intake of heavy meals at night
- Use of improper pillow while sleeping
- Lack of sleep at night or sleeping during day time
- Pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulders. Pain is generally radiating in nature and radiates upto arms and upper part of chest.
- Pricking pain in arms and hands
- Difficulty in writing or holding objects
- Lack of co-ordination and pain while movement
- Abnormal reflexes
- Blurred vision
- Loss of memory
- Tiredness in the body
- Difficulty in turning head downwards
- Headache that radiates to the back of the head
- Tingling and numbness in arms
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, it is compared with Greeva Sandhigata Vata. This is mainly caused due to aggaravation of the vata dosha specifically vyana vayu that is responsible for the movements of the body. Vitiated vata dosha causes the degeneration of the tissues and the joints of the neck. Vata dosha is aggravated due to:
- Intake of dry, cool, light, stale and gas forming food
- Taking meals in less quantity
- Increasing gaps in between the meals
- Taking in more sour, bitter and astringent foods in the diet
- Having late night work schedules
- Due to excessive smoking
- Having lifestyle that involves overindulgence in physical, mental and sexual activities
Following panchakarma therapies are found to be beneficial in greeva sandhigata vata:
- Snehana or Oleation of the body with the medicated oils such as mahanarayan oil, Sahcharadi taila, kottamchukadi oil etc
- Swedana or sudation
- Greeva Vasti – in this therapy, a ring is created with the black gram paste and warm medicated oil is retained within it for a couple of minutes.
- Patra Pinda Swedana or leaf bundle massage
- Kukkutanda Twaka Swedana
Ayurvedic formulations useful in greeva sandhigata vata:
- Maha Yograj Guggulu
- Rasnadi Guggulu
- Trayodashanga Guggulu
- Vata Gajankusha Rasa
- Vata Gajkesari Rasa
- Mahanarayan taila for local application
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Avoid large, high and thick pillow.
- Avoid sudden twisting of neck and back.
- Use hard mattress for sleeping.
- Avoid long sitting in front of computer.
- Avoid journey on uneven roads.
- Use special neck supporting pillow.
- Use chairs that provide good back and neck support.
- Do neck stretching exercises regularly.
- Avoid physical and mental exertion.
- Get a good and enough night sleep.
- Avoid rice, refined flour, kidney beans, urad dal and other vata aggravating foods.
- Increase intake of oily foods that are easily digestible.
- Take sweet things, purified butter, vegetable soups, milk and almonds.
- Practice Dhanurasana and Ujjai Pranayama for cervical pain.
- Take one teaspoon fenugreek seeds and soak them in water for 24 hours. Chew them early morning on an empty stomach.
- Prepare a decoction of harshingar. Having this morning and evening is very beneficial.
- Prepare a finely powdered mixture of 2 grams Ashwagandha powder, one gram turmeric powder and 250 grams Trikatu churna. Take this with warm water two times a day after meals.
- Take 10 ml of castor oil with 200 ml of milk two times a week. This is helpful in clearing the bowel.
- Prepare a paste of soaked almond nuts. Take it every morning at the time of breakfast.
- Take milk with a pinch of turmeric powder every day.
- Take one tablespoon of castor oil in night. This helps in cleansing ama or toxins and balances vata dosha in the body.
- Peel and crush two cloves of garlic. Add this to a glass of milk. Boil and reduce it to one fourth. Filter and make two parts of this. Drink one part in the morning and one in the evening.
- Take 3-4 cloves of crushed garlic and one teaspoon of ajwain seeds. Roast them in sesame or mustard oil until it turns to reddish brown colour. Do massage with this oil on the affected area.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.