Chikungunya is a rare form of viral infection that is transmitted by the infected aedes aegypti mosquito. Aedes aegypti mosquito also called yellow fever mosquito is the primary transmission agent for chikungunya fever. This is usually found in tropics and that is the reason chikungunya is seen predominantly in the asian countries. Aedes aegypti generally bites during the daytime.
Chikungunya virus requires an agent for transmission and hence direct human to human transmission does not occur. Usually transmission occurs when a mosquito bites an infected person and then later bites a non infected person. After the mosquito bite, it takes one to twelve days for the symptoms to develop. The attack is sudden and it is accompanied with rashes. Severe joint pain is the main and most problematic symptom of Chikungunya.
Chikungunya is caused due to Chikungunya Virus that spreads to humans through the bite of infected aedes mosquito. If the aedes mosquito bites an infected person, the virus gets transferred into its body. The virus does not affect the mosquito itself, but the mosquito aids the virus to become stronger within its body. When the mosquito bites a healthy person, the strengthened virus is now transferred into the body of that person and exhibits the symptoms like fever, body and muscle pain. The chikungunya virus destroys the resistance system of the body which exacerbates any underlying medical condition. This sometimes lead to the death of the patient as well.
- High body temperature of more than 102 F
- Severe body pain
- Severe pain in the joints with inflammation
- Rashes on limbs and trunks
- Redness in eyes and difficulty in looking at night
- Hyperpigmentation and peeling off the skin
- Ulcers in the mouth
- Decrease in the number of white blood cells
- Retro-orbital pain
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, chikungunya is compared with sandhi jwara that is fever of the joints. Ayurveda considers Chikungunya as a vata dosha disorder. It is caused due to vata dosha disorder. In initial stage, it causes symptoms like headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting and muscle pain. The most painful aspect of chikungunya is the extended period of pain and swelling in the joints. This is caused due to the response of ones own weak immune system.
Line of treatment in Ayurveda for treating chikungunya is:-
- Administrating medicines that aim at enhancing the immunity.
- Oral medication for combating fever, muscle and joint pain, rashes etc.
- Using rejuvenating medicines for restoring the body strength and immunity.
Ayurvedic herbs beneficial in this type of fever are:-
- Bhumi Amalaki
Ayurvedic formulations beneficial in this case are:-
- Sudarshanghan Vati
- Indukantam kshayam
- Ashwagandha Churna
- Bala Arishta
- Mahanarayan tailam
- Kottamchukadi tailam
- Ksheerbala capsule
- Sanjivani Vati
- Giloy kshaya
- Yograj Guggulu
- Singhnaad Guggulu
- Chitrakadi Vati
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Prevent stagnation of water as the mosquito responsible for causing chikungunya breeds in stagnant water.
- Use insect repellant
- People suffering from chikungunya should wear long clothes in order to prevent the mosquito bite and hence the spread of disease
- Keep the doors and windows closed to prevent the entry of mosquitoes.
- Regulate your travelling as the aedes mosquito travel more.
- Have sufficient quantity of juice, soups, dal in your diet
- Have easily digestible food stuffs.
- Avoid taking tea and coffee.
- Increase the intake of green leafy vegetables and fruits.
- Have tulsi leaves as it helps in reducing the fever.
- Taking in raw carrot increases the resistivity of the body against chikungunya symptoms
- Mix dry, seedless grapes in cow’s milk. Have this to reduce the chikungunya symptoms.
- Prepare the decoction with neem powder and ginger and drink it twice a day.
- Have herbal tea prepared with neem powder, Ashwagandha powder and ginger. Have this two times a day.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.