Flatulence is defined as the state of having excessive stomach or intestinal gas which results in uncomfortable feeling of bloating or passing of gas from the rectum. Gas or flatus has components namely nitrogen, hydrogen, carbon dioxide, methane and oxygen gas.
- Chewing food very rapidly
- Rapid Drinking leads to swallowing of excess air thereby causing flatulence
- Consuming carbonated drinks in excess
- Deficiency of lactose in the body also causes the formation of gas
- Some other causes are old colic, gallbladder disease, colon cancer, diverticulosis, peptic ulcer, gallstones and food allergies.
- Due to anxiety, fear and grief.
- Due to Hyper salivation
- Fermentation in the gastro-intestinal tract due to inadequately cooked starchy foods.
- Due to certain undigested foods broken down by harmless bacteria inside the colon.
- Flatulence can also occur from gas seeping into the intestine from blood.
- Feeling of fullness in the stomach
- Pain in the abdomen
- Passing of wind in excess
- Loss of appetite
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, flatulence is compared with Aadhmana. Colon is the main seat for vata dosha in the human body. If due to some reasons like eating vata aggravating foods, cold weather, anxiety, sleeplessness and other factors, vata dosha increases in the colon creates flatulence, distension and discomfort.
It is also believed that flatulence is caused due to the imbalance of vata and pitta dosha in the body. Pitta dosha functions by controlling the digestive fire in the body that helps in the digestion of the food. Low pitta dosha and aggravated vata dosha in the body results in the low digestive fire thus decreasing the digestion process and leading to the formation of gas. The ama dosha thus formed aggravates the vata dosha.
Single herbs useful in this case are:
- Aloe Vera
Ayurvedic formulations recommended for flatulence are:
- Agnitundi Vati
- Maha Shankh Vati
- Lasunadi Vati
- Triphala Churna
- Agni Mukha Churna
- Trikatu Churna
- Hingavashtak Churna
- Shivakshara Pachan Churna
- Hingvadi Vati
- Chitrakadi Vati
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Chew peppermint after every meal. It soothes the digestive muscles and reduces flatulence, bloating and abdominal pain.
- Avoid consuming tobacco as it is harmful for digestive system and causes flatulence.
- Avoid sweetened foods.
- Do regular exercises as it improves digestion and also helps in the removal of gas through the system.
- Avoid taking curd. Buttermilk is beneficial in this case.
- Avoid consuming rice at night.
- Take rest after having a full meal.
- Avoid taking hot and cold food stuffs together.
- Avoid taking in fruits after meals as it ferments in the stomach and leads to gas formation.
- Practice Yogasanas like Pawan muktasana and pranayama are highly beneficial in flatulence.
- Take one glass of luke warm water. To this add a pinch of dry ginger powder and a pinch of asafetida powder. Also add a pinch of black salt and mix well. Drink this once a day to get relief from flatulence.
- Add one teaspoon of black pepper and one teaspoon of ginger powder in one glass of warm water. Crush two green cardamoms and prepare powdered preparation of it. Then add half teaspoon of this cardamom powder and mix well. Drink it twice after meals to get rid of flatulence.
- Cut fresh ginger into slices and soak these slices in lemon juice for about an hour. Chew few slices after each meal.
- Take two handfuls of bajra and a handful salt. Prepare a bundle or potali of this. Warm it and foment the abdomen.
- Take hing, black salt, cardamom, ginger and kantakari in equal quantities. Take this mixture twice a day with warm water.
- Eat a piece of jaggery after every meal to get rid of gas or flatulence.
- Eat an orange with black salt in the morning. This helps in cleaning the intestine hence reducing gas formation.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.