Psoriasis is defined as a non-infective inflammatory skin condition. It is an autoimmune disease of the skin that results in hyperproliferation of the skin. It is most commonly seen in people between the age group of 15-40 years of age. It is considered as a hereditary disease that passes down to the next generation.
Following types of psoriasis are observed in the people:-
- Plaque Psoriasis – Patches of raised, red skin covered by silvery white scales
- Psoriatic Arthritis – Causes inflammation of the joints
- Guttate Psoriasis – Small red spots are seen on the skin
- Pustular Psoriasis – White pustules are seen around the red skin
- Inverse Psoriasis – Lesions that are red and smooth are seen around the skin folds
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis – Widespread rashes with redness and pain are seen
- Psoriasis occurs due to weakened immune system causing inflammation and flaking of skin
- Abnormality in the mechanism in which the skin grows and replaces itself causes psoriasis
- Hereditary factors
- Environmental factors such as trauma, sunlight, infection, emotional stress, climatic changes etc also causes psoriasis
- Red, scaly patches that are seen usually seen around toes, knees and elbows
- Plaque formation on the scalp, face, elbows, knees, palms and soles of the feet
- Dry skin
- Redness and inflammation of the skin
- Sausage like appearance of the affected fingers and toes
- Itching over the skin
- Pain in the joints
- Tenderness and swelling in the joints
- Genitals lesions in the men
- Discolouration of the nails
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
- Excessive dandruff
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, Psoriasis is compared with Ekkushtha. It is believed that ekkushtha is caused due to the vitiation of the vata and kapha dosha along with the pitta dosha. Irregular food habits, consumption of incompatible food stuffs or virudha ahara sevan, excessive intake of yoghurt, black gram, sea food and salted food items cause ekkushtha. Vitiated Vata and kapha dosha manifest in the skin and cause accumulation of the toxins. These toxins then accumulate in the rasa, rakta, mansa dhatu and lasika which then lead to the formation of the ekkushtha.
The main Ayurveda treatment used to cure ekkushtha is Panchkarma Therapy. Virechan is done detox the body in case of psoriasis.
Single herbs useful in this condition are:-
Ayurvedic formulations recommended in this disease are:-
- Manjishthadi Churna
- Nimbadi Churna
- Giloy ghan Vati
- Aarogya Vardhini Vati
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Panchtikta Ghrit Guggulu
- Panch Tikta Ghrit
- 777 oil
- Manjishthadi oil
- Madhuyashtyadi Thailam
- Shudh Yoga Vati
- Safrex Syrup
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Avoid consuming incompatible food items
- Do not control natural urges like urination, bowel etc
- Do not consume foods that will cause indigestion
- Do not eat too much salty, sour or acidic foods
- Avoid sleeping in afternoons
- Avoid eating curd
- Avoid pricking, peeling and scratching skin
- Use separate clean towels and clothes for use
- Apply thin layer of aloe vera gel to the affected area
- Avoid eating non vegetarian food stuffs
- Expose to mild sunlight daily for about 30 minutes to improve the texture of the affected area
- Take 15-20 sesame seeds and soak them in a glass of water. Keep this overnight and drink on the empty stomach in the early morning.
- Take one cup of bitter gourd juice on empty stomach in the early morning. Add a tablespoon of lime juice to improve the taste of the juice.
- Take one bowl of crushed cabbage leaves and one bowl of hot water. Place the bowl of cabbage leaves inside the bowl of hot water, till the leaves turn lukewarm. Apply the lukewarm cabbage leaves on the affected area. Cover with a soft woollen cloth and wrap with an elastic bandage for about 2-3 hours.
- Add two tablespoons of baking soda to one bowl of water. Soak a towel in this mixture, wring it out and apply on the skin as a compress.
- Apply a thick layer of Agnijith on the affected area two times a day and keep it atleast for two hours.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.