Rheumatoid Arthritis refers to the severe joint pain. It is an autoimmune disorder common in all age groups particularly in people over 40 years of age. In this disease the chemicals produced by our immune system attacks the soft tissues known as synovium of the joints and cause inflammation in them leading to swelling, stiffness, redness and pain in the joints. This inflammatory process damages the bone cartilages and the joint surfaces. In some cases, it even causes joint deformities and disability. Smaller joints are affected first in a symmetrical manner and then any joint get affected with the disease. Sometimes along with the joints, other organs and systems of the body, including the lungs, heart and kidneys can also get affected.
- Weak immune system
- Improper dietary habits and unhealthy lifestyle
- Cold weather
- Physical and mental stress
- Pain and swelling in the joints like fingers, legs, arms and wrists. Pain and stiffness is aggravated in the morning and lasts for more than one hour.
- Joints might lose their range of motion and may become deformed.
- Widespread muscle ache
- Loss of appetite
- Increase in the body temperature
- Diffuse inflammation of the lungs, membrane around the heart, the membranes of the lung and sclera of the eye.
- Chest pain while taking breath
- Dry eyes and mouth
- Burning sensation in the eyes, itching and discharge
- Nodules under the skin
- Numbness, tingling and burning sensation in the hands and feet.
- Sleep difficulties
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, Rheumatoid Arthritis is compared with Aamvata. It is caused due to aggravated vata dosha and production of ama or toxins in the body. Improper digestion and metabolism leads to the production and accumulation of the ama or toxins in the body. This ama then combines with the aggravated vata dosha and get localized in the joints and thus produces pain, stiffness and swelling.
The line of treatment for amavata in ayurveda is as follows:-
- Langhana or Fasting
- Shodhana or purification of the body is done through following panchakarma procedures:-
- Sarvanga Abhyanga
- Patra Pinda Sweda
- Anuvasana Vasti
- Niruha Vasti
- Shamana Chikitsa or treatment for subsiding the symptoms
Following Ayurvedic Formulations are effective in curing Aamvata:-
- Using deepana pachana formulations such as Hingvadi vati, Lashunadi vati, Lashun Rasayan
- Vata nashak Vati
- Vishmushtki Vati
- Aamvatahari Vati
- Panchskar Churna
- Trikatu churna
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Avoid taking in curd, tea and coffee.
- Have garlic in your regular diet.
- Have whole grains rich in fibres such as wheat, millet, barley, brown rice. Whole grains with fibre content aids in proper digestion and regulates the bowel movement.
- Alcohol, tobacco, soft drinks and ice creams should be strictly avoided.
- Avoid food stuffs that cause indigestion and flatulence.
- Try to avoid keeping awake at night or having day time sleep.
- Eat fruits and green leafy vegetables in your diet. Consume fruits as a whole and avoid them in the form of juices. Sprinkle pepper over the fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid common foods that cause allergies such as dairy products, peanuts, beets, soya, processed foods etc.
- Avoid deep fried oily foods and fermented foods.
- Consume drumsticks, bittergourd, carrot, papaya etc. these food items help to reduce the inflammation and hyperactivity of the immune system.
- Avoid unhealthy and irregular dietary habits.
- Practice simple excercises. Do yoga asanas and meditation to maintain the muscle strength and improve the flexibility of the joints.
- Take one cup mustard oil and add 10 grams of camphor to it. Heat the oil till the camphor gets dissolves completely. Massage lukewarm oil on the affected area. This will improve the blood circulation and at the same time reduce the inflammation and stiffness.
- Take a few unpeeled potato slices. Soak them in one glass of cold water overnight. Drink this water on an empty stomach every morning.
- Take three tablespoons green gram and soak them in 250 ml of water overnight to get sprouted gram. Add two crushed garlic cloves to the sprouted gram and mix well. Consume this two times a day. Salt and pepper can also be added according to the taste.
- Consume milk mixed with three grams of turmeric powder. Turmeric is very effective in controlling the inflammation of the joints.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.