Rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults is caused due to lack of vitamin D in the human body. Lack of vitamin D causes decreased absorption of calcium and phosphorous which leads to the softness and weakness of the bones. Due to softness, the body gets bent and twisted, which is known by the name rickets.
It is mainly caused due to deficiency of vitamin D in the body. It is seen in children who have very less exposure to sunlight, those who always stay inside, in people who have to work indoors always, in children who have lactose intolerance, have trouble in digesting milk or cannot get vitamin D, children who do not drink milk at all in children on breastfeed as human breastfeed does not contain much vitamin D.
- Bending of the bones of the legs inward or outward
- Protruded abdomen
- Knock knees
- Pigeon chest
- Weak bones
- Increased tendency for fractures
- Low level of calcium in the blood
- Bend joints with pains
- Paleness over the face
- Muscles look flabby and toneless
- Uncontrolled muscle spasms all over the body
- Stunted growth and short stature
- Dental problems such as delayed formation of the teeth, defects in the structure of the teeth, holes in the enamel, increased cavities in the teeth
- Limbs take unnatural postures
- Increased sweating over head
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVEDA CENTRE
Rickets is compared with Asthivakrata or Phakka roga in Ayurveda. It is caused due to imbalance in the vata dosha.
Panchakarma therapies that can be done in this condition are:-
- Sarvanga Abhyanga with bala ashwagandha Lakshadi oil, mahanarayan oil, ashwagandha ghrit should be done.
- Swedana in the form of exposure to sunlight is recommended.
- Basti both Anuvasana and Niruha are to be done to pacify the vitiated vata dosha.
Single herbs that can be used in this case are:-
Ayurvedic formulations recommended in this case are:-
- Prawal Pishti
- Shukta Pishti
- Mukta Pishti
- Jahar Mohra Pishti
- Kamdudha Rasa
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Triphala Churna
- Ashwagandha Churna
- Shatavari Churna
- Ashwagandha Avaleh
- Bala ashwagandha Lakshadi tailam
- Mahanarayan tailam
- Ashwagandha Ghrit
- Amla Juice
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Expose the child to the sunrays in morning hours for about 15-20 minutes. Human skin contains provitamin which gets activated and synthesized on exposure to sun. This promotes the absorption of calcium and phosphorous by the body which makes the bones grow stronger.
- Include whole grains and beans like oats, barley, rice, black beans, lentils etc in the diet regularly.
- Consume more of green leafy vegetables like spinach, methi etc.
- Consume dry frits like almonds, walnuts, cashews, raisins in diet.
- Include fresh fruits like oranges, figs, bananas etc in your diet.
- Vegetables like onion, garlic, tomatoes are beneficial to get rid of the problem.
- Banana is very good for children suffering from rickets as it is rich in necessary minerals, potassium and carbohydrates needed to keep the body function normally.
- Place the pulses in the sunlight before cooking them. In this way the vitamin D gets absorbed in the pulses kept in the sunlight.
- Practice weight bearing excercises like walking.
- Avoid tea, coffee and other caffeinated products.
- Take one teaspoon of dried dandelion leaves and put them in a vessel containing hot water. Steep for three minutes. Stir and let it steep for another one minute. Strain and have the tea.
- Take one kilogram oatstraw. Place this oatstraw in four litres of water. Boil the water and let it cool down a little. Now take bathe with this water. Do not remove the straws while bathing. Take this type of bath atleast two times in a week.
- Put the horsetail herb in a vessel and pour boiling water over it. Cover and steep for three to five minutes. Strain and have this tea after meals.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.