A Stye is a small, inflamed boil on the eyelid. It may affect the skin of the eyebrows or the eyelids, more commonly seen on the lower eyelid. Usually stye is an inflamed hair follicle or an infection of a sebaceous gland in the edge of the eyelid.
Stye, also known as hordeolum, is of two types:-
- External hordeolum
- Internal hordeolum
- Application of the cosmetics
- Incomplete removal of makeup
- Due to ill health
- Infection of the eyelid caused due to staphylococcus bacteria
- Infection of the hair follicle of the eyelid leads to the blockage of the hair follicles
- Lack of hygiene
- Blockage of sebaceous glands near the eyelids
- Constant rubbing of the eyes
- Sleep deprivation
- Poor nutrition and poor health
- People suffering from blepharitis are at higher risk of developing stye
- Obese people are more prone to develop stye due to high levels of blood lipids or fats that blocks the oil glands.
- Toxic condition of the system caused due to wrong feeding habits, especially consumption of foods like white bread, refined cereals, boiled potatoes, etc.
- Pimple near the eye lid
- Pain and swelling in the eyelid
- Watering from the eyes
- Loss of vision or blurred vision
- Redness in the eyes
- Itching in the eyelids
- Crusting of the eyelid margins
- Mucus discharge from the eyes
- Pus formation in the areas
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, external stye is compared with Anjananamika, whereas internal stye is compared with Utsangini and Kumbhika. It is caused due to vitiation of the rakta dhatu and pitta dosha. However other doshas are also involved in causing anjananamika.
Panchakarma therapies that can be done in this condition are:-
- Netra vasti
- Shirodhara and shiro Abhyanga to relieve excessive stress.
Single ayurvedic herbs that help in eliminating the infection from the eyes and help heal the abscess are:-
Ayurvedic formulations useful in this case are:-
- Kaishore Guggulu
- Gandhak rasayan
- Saptamrita loha
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Triphala churna
- Manjishthadi churna
- Ashwagandha Avaleha
- Triphala Guggulu
- Aarogya vardhini vati
- Sunetra eye drops
- Jeevantyadi ghrit
- Maha triphaladya ghrit
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Use separate towels and other common objects. Handkerchief or towel used to clean the eyes should be clean and free from infections.
- One should stay with proper hygiene especially during winter and monsoon times.
- Avoid touching the stye, the germs present in the hand might make matters worse.
- Never burst the stye as it can spread the infection in the eye.
- Wash your hands properly before handling eyes to keep away all kinds of ophthalmic diseases.
- Warm up your palms and put them over the eyes. This relaxes the eyes.
- Protect your eyes from dust and smoke
- Wash your eyes properly with water
- Cosmetics used for eyes should be carefully chosen to make sure that they do not cause infections or blockages of sebaceous glands.
- Take 300 ml of water. Add two tablespoons of coriander seeds and boil for 15-20 minutes. Strain the mixture and allow it to cool. Use this as an eyewash twice a day.
- Take a tea bag and dip it in water. Remove and press it on the stye for 5-6 minutes. Repeat this five times a day. Tannin helps in relieving pain from the painful bump near the eye.
- Take 5-8 cloves and a black stone. Rub it with water to make a liquid paste. Apply this paste on the affected area twice or thrice a day.
- Take a piece of cotton cloth and dip it in warm water. Apply this and rub gently over the affected area. It helps in relieving the inflammation from the eyes.
- Add turmeric powder to water and use this water as eye drops three times a day.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.