Tonsils are a pair of small almond shaped structures present on either side of the throat, just above and behind the tongue. The structures act as a defense against infections that invade the body through the nose and mouth. They are a part of the body’s protective lymphatic system, which dispatches cells that gulp down bacteria. Above the tonsils are adenoids, located at the back of the nose. They too help in keeping away the respiratory tract infections.
Tonsillitis is one of the common diseases of the respiratory tract. It is the inflammatory condition of the tonsils. It generally occurs due to infection of Streptococcal haemolyticus. It affects people of all ages, but it most commonly occurs in growing children. Chronic tonsillitis when not treated properly leads to diseases like nephritis, rheumatic fever, etc.
- Intake of cold water or cold food stuffs such as ice creams, cold drinks, etc.
- Cold climate exposure
- Due to viral infection
- Infection caused by the bacteria Streptococcus Haemolyticus
- Exposure to cold wind
- Excess intake of oily food
- High grade fever of around 103-104 degree Fahrenheit with chills
- Enlarged tonsils
- Pain on swallowing food
- Pain in the ear of the affected side
- Sore throat with redness and pain
- Swelling inside the throat, near the palate
- Burning sensation
- Ulcers, blisters
- White or yellowish coating on the tonsils
- Hoarseness or loss of voice
- Loss of appetite
- Bad breath from the mouth
- Body ache
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
In Ayurveda, tonsillitis can be compared with Gilayu. It is mainly caused due to poor digestion and accumulation of toxins in the body.
Line of treatment in treating this disease is:-
- Restoring the digestive power and building the immunity
- Managing the local pain, redness and swelling
- Treating the fever or infection caused due to the infection
- Restricting diet and lifestyle to avoid further damage to the tonsils
Single herbs that are useful in this case are:-
Ayurvedic formulations that can be prescribed in this condition are:-
- Sitopaladi Churna
- Shawas Kuthar Rasa
- Kapha ketu Rasa
- Agastaya Haritaki
- Taalishadi Churna
- Yashtimadhu Churna
- Pippali Churna
- Abhrak Bhasma
- Laxmi Vilas Rasa
- Tankan Bhasma
- Godanti Bhasma
- Kanchanar Guggulu
- Kaishore Guggulu
- Khadiradi Vati
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Eat foods that are soft and easy to swallow
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Gargle every few hours with a solution of one fourth common salt or Yavakshara dissolved in half a glass of warm water or decoction prepared from the bark of babool tree.
- Have warm beverages like tea with honey. Warm beverages help in relieving the pain of the tonsillitis.
- Avoid sour, spicy, acidic food as this may further cause irritation in the throat.
- Avoid eating curd, buttermilk and fried food stuffs.
- Suck a piece of hard candy or medicated lozenges containing liquorice extract.
- Avoid exposure to polluted environmental conditions.
- Take enough rest.
- Take some ice cubes and wrap them in a piece of cloth. Place this cloth on the tonsils for 10-15 minutes. Repeat this 5-6 times a day.
- Take one glass of hot milk and add half teaspoon turmeric powder and half teaspoon of black pepper. Mix well and drink this slowly at bedtime
- Take one glass of lukewarm water and squeeze half a lemon in it. Add two tablespoons of honey and a pinch of salt to this. Mix well and sip this mixture. Drink this twice a day.
- Mix powders of mulethi, vacha and kulanjan in equal quantity along with honey. Have this two times a day. This soothes the throat and cures inflammation.
- Mix one gram of sphatika powder in lukewarm water and use this for gargling. Sphatika being anti pyretic, antibiotic, anti inflammatory, antiseptic, astringent and haemostatic, is highly useful in treating tonsillitis.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.