INTRODUCTION OF THE DISEASE
There are two types of lipoproteins in the body:
- Low Density Lipoprotein or LDL- Also known as bad cholesterol causes the buildup of cholesterol in the arteries.
- High Density Lipoprotein or HDL- Also known as good cholesterol carries the cholesterol from other parts of the body to the liver which removes it.
Accumulation of the cholesterol on the walls of the arteries cause the arteries to get narrow and harden. This is known as Atherosclerosis. Narrowing of the coronary arteries that bring blood to the heart can stop or slow down the flow of blood to the heart is known as coronary artery disease. This sometimes also causes chest pain known as Angina.
- Due to overweight
- Consuming fat rich food like pastries, cakes, butter, meat, fish, eggs etc.
- Due to consuming alcohol and smoking
- Hereditary factors
- Person suffering from diabetes are more prone to have high cholesterol
- Those who do not do much physical excercises
- High level of cholesterol
- Chest pain
- Heart attack
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, high cholesterol level is compared with vitiation of kapha dosha or when ama or toxins get accumulated in the srotas. When excessive ama gets accumulated and begins to spread throughout the body, it gets mixed up with the dhatus and malas. Once amavisha gets mixed in with the meda dhatu or fat tissue, it blocks the medavaha srotas and this leads to the condition of high cholesterol. High cholesterol further leads to heart diseases, stroke and high blood pressure.
Since unbalanced kapha dosha is the root cause of high cholesterol, therefore ayurvedic treatment mainly aims at pacifying kapha dosha and enhance the fat metabolism, following kapha pacifying diet favouring foods with bitter, astringent and pungent tastes and at the same time avoiding sweet, sour and salty foods.
Single herbs that are beneficial in lowering cholesterol are:
- Holy basil
Ayurvedic formulations useful in lowering the level of cholesterol are:
- Arjuna Ksheera Pak
- Chandra Prabha Vati
- Hridyarnava Rasa
- Triphala Churna
- Lashuna Rasayan
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Avoid fried foods and fat rich food stuffs.
- Avoid eating chocolates, ice creams in excess quantity.
- Consume fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Soya and soya products are highly beneficial in proper utilization of cholesterol.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Drink lots of water as water helps in removing the toxins build up in the arteries.
- Consume almonds and walnuts daily.
- Avoid taking non vegetarian foods.
- Add turmeric and curry leaves in your food as these are believed to reduce the level of cholesterol.
- Do regular physical excercises for about an hour.
- Avoid sweet, sour and salty foods.
- Take one glass of water and add two tablespoons of coriander seeds. Boil it for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture and allow it to cool. Drink this three times a day.
- Dry some watermelon seeds in the sun. Roast and crush them into fine powder. Take one teaspoon of this watermelon powder and add it into one glass of water. Mix well and drink once a day.
- Take 10-15 basil and margosa leaves. Mix them and crush to make a paste. Add to one glass of water. Mix well and drink this on an empty stomach once every day.
- Prepare a mixture containing 3 parts of ground turmeric, 6 parts ground cumin, 6 parts ground coriander, 6 parts ground fennel, 2 parts ground fenugreek, 1 part dried powdered ginger, 1 part ground black pepper. Take one teaspoon of this mixture two times a day.
- Have cold hipbaths two times a day. This helps in reducing cholesterol.
- Have a single piece of garlic every morning. This again helps in reducing the level of cholesterol.
- Boil a glass of milk with a piece of garlic in it.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.