What is worse than having sinus? Sinus Headache! Yes, the age-old problem of congested nose, which is the simplest way how most of the people define sinusitis as, is nothing which you should be taking lightly. Quoting the statistics, one Indian in every eight suffers from sinus. So it is one problem that is common but cannot be ignored. Because those who ignore it, end up catching more problems that include headaches on regular basis and the disease can spread even to the brain. But the problem needs to be cured from the root and that’s why you need to rely upon the goodness of Ayurveda.
There are some empty spaces or cavities within your facial bones that are connected to cavities in your nose. These spaces are called Sinuses and the inflammation of these spaces causes sinusitis. Sinusitis is characterized by headaches, facial pain, thick mucus discharge from your nose, blocked nose and other symptoms such as fever, at times accompanied by loss of smell, even sore throat, nasal congestion, severe cough, fatigue, redness and pain in the eyes, etc. The best way to avoid sinusitis and sinus headaches is to adapt a lifestyle that has all the foods that prevent Kapha from forming in your body.
It is not your fault that you have an annoying nose and colourful nasal discharges. You may also suffer from more than occasional runny nose and frequent allergies and cold and flu. You may also complain of headaches and/or heaviness in your temples which could range from mild to severe. This again may be accompanied with facial pain and swelling in your sinuses. This is called Sinusitis and it is one of the most common causes of headaches.
Is Sinus curable? How can Ayurveda help you in that?
Every disease is curable as per Ayurveda if only we can understand the root cause. Sinus is a problem caused by Kapha imbalance, Shleshaka Kapha to be specific which is responsible for creating the balance of lubrication and moisture in our nasal system.
Ayurveda can help you get rid of Sinus problem in following manner:-
- With expert guidance of Kapha pacifying diet – When you are suffering from Sinus problem, you must make sure to avoid eating things which are either too hot or too cold. You should also avoid eating spicy or chilly-rich food. Following a ‘Satvik’ diet routine for a few days can help you control the Sinus problem to a major extent. You should also ensure adding various important herbs like ginger, tulsi etc to your tea. These herbs restore the Kapha imbalance in the body.
- Ayurvedic treatments like Nasya or Nasyam – Nasya is one of the most effective and widely practiced treatments which helps to get rid of toxins blocked in the nasal system. During Nasya, the patient is given a herbal oil massage in the head and face portion followed by inhalation of herbal oil or medicine into the sinuses. Authentic Nasya treatments also include giving the patient medicated smoke which helps to clean up the congested channels. The procedure ends with gargles so that the patient drains out the toxins. In simple words, Nasya is the most helpful detoxification treatment that will help in getting rid of toxins congested in the lymphatic channels. Daily sessions of Nasya spread over a week have helped many a patients to get rid of Sinus problem.
- Other Panchakarma therapies like Shirodhara and Shiro Abhyanga can give wonderful results as well.
Some Other Recommended Lifestyle Changes and Precautions Needed To Prevent Sinus Headaches
- Wash your hands, face, and feet (if possible) frequently to keep germs, bacteria and infection at bay
- Avoid smoking or alcohol consumption
- Look for possible immunizations for your child
- Take precaution during cold season
- Never take respiratory infections lightly
- Guard yourself and your children against dust, smoke, mites, pollen, pollution, and other irritants
- Keep yourself hydrated
- Avoid sleeping in an AC room
However, for some people this may not seem like a practical thing in today’s busy times, therefore Ayurveda brings some really incredible and easy to do home remedies that will alleviate your sinus problems.
- Tulsi Steam – When you suffer from extreme nasal congestion and headaches, tulsi (sweet basil) steam inhalation will do the trick. Also known as holy basil, when its leaves are boiled in water it makes for a concoction that for many days help you manage acute sinusitis and its symptoms.
- Eucalyptus Oil or Clove Oil – This is a delicious smelling and thoroughly relaxing remedy that makes use of vapours rising from hot water combined with a few drops of eucalyptus or clove oil. Inhale the steam or vapours twice daily and see your sinus headaches disappear for good.
Note: You will feel secretions forming in your mouth during inhalation. Remember to spit these out. You can also have a salt water gargle afterwards. This will help in clearing out your throat of any bacteria.
- Want another authentic Ayurvedic remedy? Apply a few drops of Ksheerabala taila or warmed up sesame oil over your head, temples, cheek bones and jaws and massage mildly. This will give you even more relief.
- Sinus headaches are all due to nasal congestion and cold like symptoms that get worse with time in case you suffer from sinus attacks and episodes during change of season. In this case a nasal wash prepared with fried Tankana Bhasma (borax) is very effective.
- Mustard Drops – You can also boil 1 tsp of mustard in 1 glass (300ml) of water and keep it on heat until the quantity reduces to half. Take 3-4 drops of it while it is still lukewarm through a sterile nasal dropper.
- You can also use Shadbindu taila or Anu taila as nasal drops but don’t forget to take your doctor’s advice prior to doing that
- Garlic Snuff – You can peel 5 to 6 garlic buds, crush them with a rolling pin and sniff or inhale its aroma.
- Cinnamon Paste – You can also go for this aromatic remedy by mixing 1-2 spoons of cinnamon powder in warm water. Apply this paste on your temples and/or forehead and nose. It removes congestion and relieves headache. There are tons of from where these came. So when do you choose to live life the Ayurveda way?
In case, you have been troubled by sinus for long and have lost all hope with home remedies as well, you may consult the expert Vaidya at Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchakarma Centre who have built incredible goodwill for successful treatment of Sinus and Sinus headaches.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.