IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) also called irritable colon or spastic colon, mucous colitis. It is associated with significant health care and economic burden. IBS can also severely compromise a person’s quality of life. IBS is best understood as a long-term recurrent disorder of gastrointestinal functioning. It usually involves the large intestine and small intestine. This inconvenience can produce symptoms of abdominal pain, bloating, gastritis, and a change in a bowel routine. Your search related to herbal remedies for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), ayurvedic treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), natural treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and alternative treatment for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) end here. We at Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provide effective remedies that work very well in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
What are the Sign and Symptoms of IBS?
The main symptoms are as following:
- Pain and cramps in the body
- Excessive gas
- Sensitivity to certain things
- Joints pain
- Stress problems
- Slow working of the brain
What are the Causes of IBS?
Although the exact cause of IBS is unknown. Possible causes include an overly sensitive colon or immune system. Post-infection is caused by a bacterial infection in the gastrointestinal tract.
The physical processes involved in IBS can also vary, mainly consists of
- Painful cramping (slow and spastic movements of the colon)
- Abnormal serotonin levels in the colon, affecting bowel movements and motility.
- Mild celiac disease that damages the intestine, causing IBS symptoms.
What is the Ayurvedic view of IBS?
In Ayurveda, IBS is due to blockage in annvaha srotas. As per the ayurvedic views, the symptoms are correlated with grahani roga, matches most of the IBS symptoms, which can occur due to a number of factors such as improper eating, drinking, exercise too soon after eating, continuously suppressing and restricting natural urges, taking chemical drugs, etc. Grahani is a pathological condition of the function and integrity of the GI tract, especially of the small intestine tract, which is a site of the enzymes. IBS is a disorder characterized by abnormally increased motility of the small and large intestines. In IBS the circular and longitudinal muscles of the intestine, small bowels, and sigmoid colon are highly susceptible to abnormalities.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
IBS is becoming a common problem nowadays. This is due to wrong eating habits & sedentary lifestyle of an individual. When the gastric glands in our body produce a large amount of acid it disturbs the digestion process. The people that are more prone to acidity are obese; overindulge in alcohol, excessive consumption of spicy & non-vegetarian food items, intake of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, pregnant women, menopause, asthma, diabetes, hiatus hernia, peptic ulcers patients, etc. IBS can lead to belching, burning sensation in the throat, stomach, bloating, heartburn, chest pain, etc. Instead of an allopathic treatment for acidity, you should always take natural and herbal products. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides the best and effective treatment for IBS patients known as IBS Care Kit.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1. Pittashekhar Rasa
These are herbal tablets prepared from ingredients like Sootshekhar rasa, Bilva majja, Kalmegha, Shankha bhasma, Kapardika bhasma, etc. that balances pitta dosha in the body. Regular use of these tablets improves digestion, enhances appetite, carminative, reduces acidity, prevents gastric ulcers, reduces heartburn, acts as a laxative, & reduces pain in the abdomen, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Detox Standard Powder
These herbal sachets are prepared from ingredients such as Shankh bhasma, Sutshekhar ras, Parwal pishti, Shukta pishti, Giloy, Kamdudha ras, Shwet parpati that gives calming effect on the stomach. These sachets have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antacid like properties. It mainly affects in lowering the pitta dosha of the body and maintains proper digestion of the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take one sachet twice daily with normal water.
3. Puran Pachak
Puran Pachak is a herbo-mineral Syrup of 200 ml and is Purely Ayurvedic formulation. CAC Puran Pachak syrup helps in Digestion, Supports the Digestive system, and Maintains the doshas in our body. It also helps to remove out impurities or ama from the body. This syrup reduce the Acidity, Detoxify the blood and also Supports the body health. It shows Antacid, Digestive, Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, Expectorant, and Antioxidant properties. This syrup is made up of pure ayurvedic herbs such as Mulethi, Saunf, Vasakha, Ajwayan, Prpati etc. that helps to maintain the Digestive system and in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
4. Panchsakar Churna:
This is a classical herbal churna prepared from ingredients such as Saindhavan Lavana (Rock Salt), Swarnapatri (Cassia angustifolia), Shatapushpa (Anethum sowa), Shunti (Zingiber officinale), Balaharitaki (Terminalia chebula). These all in combination deal with problems like loss of appetite, abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, constipation, weak digestion, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take a half teaspoon of this churna twice daily with normal water.
5. Kutaj Ghan Vati
Kutaj Ghan vati is purely herbal formulation. It is very useful in curing diarrhea, intestinal infection, and dysentery. These herbal tablets deal with all signs & symptoms related to diarrhea patients. Kutaj ghan vati contains ingredients like Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysenterica), Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum) that manage the symptoms like abdominal pain, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, loose stools, general weakness, fatigue, etc. The herbs in these tablets show antioxidant, anti-diarrheal, anti-inflammatory, etc properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take two tablets twice a day before meal with water.
6. Sheet Dhara Syrup
This herbal syrup is prepared from ingredients such as ajwain satav, mushak kapoor, peppermint, etc that naturally relieve the symptoms like bloating, blenching, nausea, vomiting, feeling of discomfort, etc. The regular use of this herbal syrup neutralizes the high acid content, reduces
abdominal pain, & cramps.
Recommended dosage: Take half teaspoonful of this syrup in half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily on an empty stomach.
7. Digestion care tablet
This tablet is unique blend of best digestive herbs like kutaz chal, bilav, dhania, mustak, shankh bhasm, piper mint, and dadima that maintain natural Ph balance in the stomach and aid digestion of all types of food. The herbs present in this control acidity, gas, flatulence, and constipation. These complex problems are the root cause of all diseases. If the digestive system is proper it leads to proper assimilation of the nutrients in the body. As per Ayurveda digestive disorders are due to the imbalance of Pitta doshas. Ama formation leads to digestive disorders.
Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water
What is the Panchakarma Treatment of IBS?
- Shirodhara: Shirodhara is very helpful in curing irritable bowel syndrome. Shirodhara is a classical ayurvedic therapy. In this therapy, medicated oil is poured in a thin steady stream directly onto the forehead for 30 to 35 minutes. The oil used in Shirodhara is specific to dosha that needs balancing. Shirodhara mainly affects the hypothalamus of the body and maintains the temperature of the body. It helps in constipation, cramping, gas, bloating, food intolerance, etc.
- Anuvasna Basti: It is a kind of oil enema therapy in which medicated oil is inserted into your body by the anus. This therapy nourishes the colon, intestine of the body and helps in curing IBS in a natural way.
- Niruha Basti: It is a herbal preparation prepared from medicated dravyas. This basti is effective in amaja and medoja conditions. It gives effective results in constipation, diarrhea, pain, cramps, etc.
Healthy Tips and Diet For IBS Patient
- Always eat homemade food using fresh ingredients.
- Do exercise daily for 20mis at least.
- Maintain a record of what you eat and if you get any symptoms then try to avoid things that enhance your IBS.
Common dietary triggers of cramping or bloating includes:
- Food that causes flatulence, such as beans, celery, carrots, apricots, etc.
- Dairy products.
- Caffeine products.
Yoga Postures And Pranayam in IBS
Yoga is very helpful in maintaining the health of the IBS patient. Yoga postures lower down the stress level, yoga calms your nervous system, working as a natural balm for your digestive system. Following yoga poses help in IBS are:
- Ardha Mastsyendrasana (Half seated spinal twist)
- Dhanurasana (bow pose)
- 3)Pabanmuktasana (Wind-relieving pose)
- Ananda Balasana ( baby pose)
Home Remedies For IBS
- Don’t skip meals; try to eat at the same time every day.
- Avoid alcohol, coffee, sodas, and dairy products, and fat-rich food.
- Exercise regularly helps in stress, depression, and stimulates your metabolism.
- Drink lots of water every day, it is best in all the ways.
- Eat healthy vegetables & fruits.
- Drink green coconut water & pomegranate juice daily.
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.