As the name suggests ITP is immune thrombocytopenic purpura in which body’s immune system is not able to recognize the platelet cell surface. ITP is made of three words I stands for immune in which immune system of our body remove the platelets, T stands for thrombocytopenia means (thrombocyte is platelet & penia is low count), & P stands for purpura (bleeding of the skin or a characteristic type of bruising. It is a blood disorder that causes decrease in the number of platelets that are the essential cells present in the body to form a blood clot during excessive bleeding.
The disease is becoming common in children but can affect people at any age.
What are the Signs & Symptoms of ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
The signs & symptoms may vary from patient to patient discussed below in detail:
- Bleeding from nose
- The skin appear purple in color after leakage of the blood
- Bleeding in the head
- Bruises are seen in the joints of knees and elbows
- Bleeding around the gums
- Prolonged bleeding from injuries & cuts
- Bleeding in the mouth
- Sometimes blood is seen in urine, stool, or during vomiting
- Bleeding in the head
- Excessive Vaginal bleeding during menstruation
- Yellow discoloration of the skin
- During surgeries excessive bleeding
What are the Causes for ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
Immune thrombocytopenia purpura attacks the body’s immune system mistakenly & destroys the platelets that help for blood clot. In children this disorder is due to viral illness including flu or mumps. In adults, it may be due to infections like H.pylori, hepatitis, & HIV, systemic lupus erythematosus, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, etc.
What are the types of ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
There are basically two forms of ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura) mentioned below:
- Acute thrombocytopenic purpura: Acute ITP is more common is children between the ages of 2 to 6 years. In this type the symptoms may be due to viral infections that disappear in within in a few weeks or less than six month. It is the common form of disorder.
- Chronic thrombocytopenia purpura: This type of ITP can occur at any age & last from six months to several years. In adults this type is more common. Mostly females are affected with this as compare to males.
What is the Ayurvedic view of ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
According to Ayurveda ITP is correlated with “Tiryaga Raktapitta” in which all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, & Kapha) are vitiated. In this disorder the vitiated doshas are circulating in the blood stream that destroys the platelet cells in the body.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
Ayurveda is the best way to treat ITP as in allopathic only steroids are given to the patients. In Ayurveda there are numerous herbs present in nature that works on the root cause of disease. These herbs deal with all signs & symptoms related to ITP patients. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides a complete kit for ITP patients known as “ITP Care Kit”. This kit comprises of six products that are mentioned below in detail:
1. Noni Capsules
Noni capsules have been used for thousands of years to help in treating a variety of health problems such as high blood pressure, inflammation, parasitic, viral and bacterial infections. It contains fruit of a Polynesian plant that’s commonly called the Indian Mulberry, Morinda Citrifoliua. The capsules reduce the small red bumps on your skin, excessive fatigue and Useful for preventing free radicals damage of platelets.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
2. Stop Bleeding Tablets
CAC stop bleeding tablet is a pure herbal formulation that acts as an anticoagulant in nature. it helps to stop or reduce heavy bleeding. when there is bleeding, the body forms clots to stop the bleeding. in some of these clots leads to bleeding after breakage. therefore stop bleeding tablet helps in stopping the clots from breaking and thus reduce the excessive unwanted bleeding. these tablets have anti-inflammatory, pain killer, anticoagulant properties. It also pacifies pitta doshas and helps in detoxification of rakta dhatu (blood tissue).
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
3. Detox Premium Powder
The powder contains a mixture of natural and pure herbs which plays a major role in the treatment of ITP. The mixture contains – Tal sindoor, Gandhak rasayan, Akik pishti, Jahar mohra, Moti pishti. This combination has Antibacterial, Antimicrobial, Antiviral, Broad Spectrum Antibiotic, Anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps in strengthening the immune system, reduces oxidative damage, and they are rich in minerals, vitamins and other essential elements which helps in tissue repair and healthy blood formation in the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
4. Panchasakar Churna
Panchasakar churna is a mixture of 4 types of herbal powder along with salt – Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Trivrith (Operculina turpethum), Pippali (Piper longum) and Sauvarchala lavana. It improves digestion, reduces stress, anxiety, helps in managing the pain, supports the healthy immune system and calms mental processes and fosters a healthy sleep pattern.
Recommended Dosage -Take 1 teaspoonful with Luke warm water at bedtime.
5. Platfer Tablet
These are herbal combination prepared from herbs like Papaya (Carica papaya) & Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) that in combination increases the platelet counts naturally. It provides good & effective results for patients. It increases the physical and mental strength of a person and builds up immunity.
Recommended Dosage –Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
6. Nerve up Tablet
Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata doshas. It reduces kapha dosha, and acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. This tablet helps in the symptoms related to ITP.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 tablet twice daily.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for ITP (Immune thrombocytopenia purpura)?
As ITP patient is already weak so there is no need for panchakarma treatment. Instead of that the ayurvedic treatment that is mentioned above is sufficient for ITP patients. Regular use of ITP care kit will provide good & long-lasting results to the patients.
Healthy Tips & Diet for ITP Patients
- Drink pomegranate juice daily you can also add carrot, beetroot in it.
- Include green vegetables like spinach, coriander, fenugreek, kale, etc in diet.
- Avoid processed, fried, French fries, burgers, noodles, maida, and spicy food items.
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Also include bottle gourd, ridge gourd, bitter gourd, pumpkin, cabbage, cauliflower, carrot, beetroot, radish, turnip, etc.
- Avoid excessive salt and red chilies.
- Papaya leaves juice & its fruit is very good for ITP patients.
- Include fruits like kiwi, apple, pear, peach, papaya, pomegranate, etc & avoid citrus fruits.
- You can drink goat milk but avoid other milk & milk products.
- Include whole grains, lentils, vegetables, & fresh fruits in daily routine.
- Avoid non-vegetarian diet but you can have two boiled egg white.
- Walk daily for 30 minutes at least.
- Drink wheatgrass & aloe vera juice daily.
- Do perform yoga poses & pranayam to keep your body fit & disease free.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.