Leucoderma is defined as the appearance of white patches over the face, scalp and genital area due to a gradual loss of skin pigment known as melanin pigment. It generally starts from a small spot that later spreads into patches. Over time, due to continuous loss of melanin pigment, the patches become whiter and start merging with one another thereby creating a broad patch. Most of the skin changes might become noticeable around the age of 10-30 years.
In other terms, it is known as Vitiligo, it mainly occurs when pigment-producing cells die or stop functioning. This may have a genetic component as the condition tends to run in families. Vitiligo does not have any significant health consequences; however, it can have emotional and psychological consequences. It can be focal or localized to one area or may affect several different areas on the body.
What are the Causes of Leucoderma?
The exact cause of Leucoderma is not known but commonly are –
- Excessive stress or worry
- Chronic gastric problems
- Improper liver functions like jaundice
- Excessive consumption of incompatible foodstuffs
- Presence of worms or parasites in the digestive system
- Hereditary factor
- Tattoos on the skin
- Allergy factors such as deodorants, paints, adhesive, etc.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Leucoderma?
Some of the common signs & symptoms are given below –
- Primary symptoms are the De-pigmentation of the skin resulting in irregular patches, milky-white patches, which gradually grow in size.
- Premature greying of the hair and eyelashes
- Loss of color in the mucous membranes which line the inside of the mouth
- Loss or alteration of the color in the retina
- Mood swings
What is an Ayurvedic View of Leucoderma?
According to Ayurveda, Leucoderma is compared with ‘’Shvet kushtha’’. Shvet kushtha is caused due to the aggravation of the pitta dosha in the body. Vitiated pitta causes poor digestion and this leads to the accumulation of the ama or toxins in the deep tissues of the body, leading to the condition of leucoderma.
There are a total of five divisions of the pitta dosha; one of them is bhrajak pitta, which is responsible for imparting color to the skin. In the case of shvet kushtha, bhrajak pitta is in the imbalanced state thus our skin starts losing its color and white patches are formed. Rasa dhatu, rakta dhatu, mansa dhatu and lasika are also imbalanced in this disease.
What is an Ayurvedic Treatment of Leucoderma?
Ayurvedic treatment pacifies the imbalanced body energies, cleansing the blood and administrating herbs that restore the skin color. Ayurveda has numerous natural herbs that help in the reduction of the leucoderma.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre facilitates the best remedy that is considered useful for the leucoderma, here we provided the complete package known as ‘’Leucoderma Care Kit’’, which has proven results in treating this condition. The kit contains the following products – Tolenorm oil, Tolenorm ointment, Detox premium powder, Bakuchi vati, Panchtiktak Ghrita guggulu, Yakrit vati.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1. Detox Premium Powder
This is the mixture of all herbal medicines which are beneficial in the treatment of leucoderma. The mixture contains ingredients like- Moti pishti, Parwal pishti, Giloy satva, Jahar mohra, Akik pishti, Gandhak rasayan, Tal sindoor, etc. These ingredients balance all the Tridosha. It brings the cooling effect and useful in the inflamed parts of the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice a day with normal water.
2. Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu
Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu is a classical Ayurvedic formulation that keeps the Vata, Pitta, and Kapha calm. It purifies the blood and very beneficial for skin diseases. It is prepared form ingredients like – Patola (Trichosanthes dioica), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Vasa (Adhatoda vasica), etc. It reduces inflammation and provides cooling effects. This Ayurvedic medicine has potent use in managing skin problems like psoriasis, leucoderma, eczema, as it helps to eliminate the toxins from the blood.
Recommended Dosage– Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
3. Babchi oil
Babchi oil, also termed as ‘Kustanashini’ (leprosy destroyer) in Ayurveda, is extracted from one of the most trusted Ayurvedic herbs (Psoralea corylifolia )for blood purification and skin health. It is also used as alternative medicines in pathies like Siddha, Ayurveda, and Homeopathy to treat various skin disorders like leucoderma, lumbago, leprosy, bone disorders, psoriasis, impotence, and intestinal worms. This oil helps to maintain genital health. It works effectively in lower back pains and skin infections. CAC Babchi oil is 100% natural, pure and herbal with the highest quality. It is certified organic and hence, is safe to use. Bakuchi has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-oxidant properties. It can be applied locally in leucoderma with no side effects. It shrinks white spots on the skin and reduces pigmentation, Urticaria, Skin rashes, Redness. The main ingredients is Babchi (Psoralea corylifolia) Herb
Dosage: Apply twice daily on the local surface.
4. Babchi Tablet
Babchi Tablet is an herbal formulation which is beneficial in fungal infection of nail, psoriasis, deafness, bleedings from wounds, insomnia, vitiligo, Cancer, Jaundice, provide natural color to skin, Eczema, Leprosy, skin problems, Leucoderma, purifies blood, supports healthy melanin pigment (skin pigment that supports healthy skin color) in body. Bakuchi is useful in indigestion, acidity. It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-oxidant properties. It shrinks white spots on the skin and reduces pigmentation, Urticaria, Skin rashes, Redness
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice daily with plain water
5. Skin Care tablet
Skin care tablet is herbo mineral and purely Ayurvedic formulation. It helps to maintain the texture of your skin depending on the type of skin you have. It contains various herbs like Haridra khand, Panchnimb churna, Khadir chahal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Chopchini, Gandhak, Ajmoda that work very effectively on all skin types. Skin care is a blood purifying tablet. It cools and detoxifies the blood, removes stagnant blood and dissolves obstructions in the blood flow that further increase blood circulation of the skin. It minimizes the blemishes, lighten sun tan, delay ageing of skin and heal skin problems. It is Natural skin moisturizer, Delay ageing, Remove blemishes, Reduce itching and burning sensation of skin, Prevent acne and pimples, In allergic skin diseases, Relieves leucoderma
DOSAGE: Take 1-2 tablets twice daily
What is the Panchakarma Treatment of Leucoderma?
Panchakarma plays a very important role in the treatment of leucoderma as it helps in detoxifying the toxins and maintained the proper blood circulation. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides the best therapies to cure the leucoderma in a natural way, the therapies include are – Nasyam, Body lepam, Shashtik shali pinda sweda.
- Nasyam – It is the procedure in administration of medicated oil through the nose to cleanse accumulated Kapha toxins from the head and neck region.
- Body lepam–In body lepam a number of herbs are crushed to form a paste-like mixture which is applied over the affected area. The lepam is removed after prescribed time and gives best result to cure the leucoderma.
- Shashtik Shali Pinda Sweda -It is done by using hot milk mixed with shasti shali rice and herbs. The massage is done with the help of bolus (basically an udder-like object filled with fluid). This provides strength to the muscles.
Healthy Tips and Diet for Leucoderma Patients
- Antioxidants – this includes enough amounts of fruits and vegetables so that it keeps you fresh and active, also helps the body from free radicals.
- Increase consuming vegetables which include French beans, radish, carrots, spinach, etc.
- Avoid consuming incompatible food items like eating milk and fish together.
- Mango, grapes, walnut, dates are highly beneficial in leucoderma.
- Avoid taking sour food items with milk.
- Avoid exposure to excessive cold and hot weather conditions.
- Adequate sleep is acquired as it makes your mind and body refresh.
- Avoid excessive intake of beverages i.e. tea, coffee, alcohol.
- Drink 20ml of Neem juice every day. This is highly beneficial for people suffering from leucoderma.
- Take care of personal hygiene.
- Wash the fruits and vegetables properly to reduce the pesticides and insecticides.
- More and more fluids should be taken to maintain the pH balance.
- Yoga and Asana are very effective in developing stamina and improves body immunity. Yoga, exercises help to develop the new cells and remove away the dead cells from the skin. It also acts on the endocrine glands of the body thus regulate the production of the hormone. Common techniques are – Medication, Nadishodhana Pranayama, Bharamari Pranayama, Sitkari Pranayama, Kapalbhati, Padmasana, Sidshasana, etc.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.