- Melanoma is a skin cancer that arises from a skin cell called a melanocyte, (melanocyte) which makes a pigment (melanin) that gives your skin its color.
- it may begin in a mole
- melanoma is a cancer of melanocyte
CAUSES OF MELANOMA:
- Sunburn and ultra violet light exposure 90% of melanomas are linked to
- Family history of melanoma
- People living in geographic regions
- Over exposure to certain chemicals
- Fair skin fair skin color people has -less pigmentation (melanin) in skin that means less protection from UV radiation.
- Living closer at a higher elevation. closer to the higher elevation there is sun’s rays are more direct
- Having many moles or unusual moles. Indicates an increased risk of melanoma.
- Weakened immune system. People with weakened immune systems increased risk of melanoma and other skin cancers.
SYMTOMS OF MELANOMA:
- Brownish spot with darker speckles
- Mole changes the color the size
- Small lesion with irregular border appear red, pink, white, blue or blue-black
- Itches or burns on mole
- Dark lesions on soles, toes, fingertips, palms and lining of mouth nose anus and vagina
TYPES OF MELANOMA:
- SUPERFICIAL SPREADING MELANOMA – Begins a dark spot that is asymmetric has irregular borders and change the color
- NODULAR MELANOMA- This is the second most common type and the most aggressive type of melanoma start as a raised spot and grows vertically appearing on the trunk, head, or neck. It grow quicker than other types, and appear as a reddish or blue-black color
- LENTIGO MALIGNA MELANOMA – This is less common and tends to develop in older adults, starts as irregular shape tan or brown spot growing slowly over years it become raised and change the color especially in parts of the body that have had excessive sun exposure over several years, such as the face
- ACRAL LENTIGINOUS MELANOMA – rarest kind of melanoma. it appears as irregular growth It appears on the palms of the hands, soles of the feet, or under the nails.
HOW TO SPOT THE SIGN OF MELANOMA:
STAGE TO MELANOMA DESCRIBES THE CANCER IN FIVE STAGES TRUSTED SOURCE, FROM 0 TO 4:
- Stage 0: only present in the outermost layer of skin.
- Stage 1: cancer is up to 2 millimeters (mm) thick. Its not yet spread to lymph nodes, and may not be ulcerated.
- Stage 2: The cancer is 1 mm thick but or thicker than 4 mm and not spread to lymph nodes or other sites.
- Stage 3: The cancer has spread lymph nodes or near lymphatic channels
- Stage 4: The cancer has spread to distant lymph nodes or organs
TREATMENT ACCORDING TO STAGES OF MELANOMA:
- Stage 0 has not grown deeper than the top layer of the skin (the epidermis). It is usually treated by surgery (wide excision)
- Stage I – this cancer melanoma is treated by wide excision
- stage 2 Wide excision (surgery to remove the melanoma and a margin of normal skin around it) is the standard treatment for stage II melanoma..
- stage 3 These cancers have already reached the lymph nodes Surgical treatment for stage III melanoma usually requires wide excision of the primary tumor as in earlier stages, along with lymph node dissection.
- Stage IV melanomas have already spread to distant lymph nodes or other areas of the body removed by surgery or treated with radiation therapy.
AYURVEDIC HERBS IN MELANOMA:
- Aloe vera: aloe vera has many skin benefits It protects the skin from the harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun.
- Flaxseeds: alsi rich in dietary fiber, has the ability to stop the cancerous cells from spreading to other parts of the body.
- Astralagus: helps to boost the immune system but helps the body produce skin cancer agents,
- Turmeric –very useful in skin problems it has powerful antioxidant properties that stop the growth of cancerous cells.
- Bilberry: bilberry tea can counter skin cancer and helps minimize caused by the cancer cells. It has antioxidant properties that helps to reduce the growth of cell
- Hawthorn: it prevent skin cancer, hawthorn berries has strong antioxidants that stop the growth of cancer cells
- Artemisia: this stop cancer from spreading and this is Being non-toxic in nature,
- Scutellaria: stops the progression of skin cancer into further stages
- Saffron: S affron e unique property of slowing down skin cancer growth
- Tulsi or Ocimum Tenuiflorum it improves metabolism, reduces inflammation
- Emblica Officinalis or Amla: Amla is very effective amla removes the toxins from body and can regulate inflammation which is caused by certain enzymes. It is also an antioxidant properties that stop the progress of cancer
- Haritaki and Terminalia Chebula: act as a colon cleanser and help remove cholesterol and fats from your system. Reduce further progress of cancerous cell growth.
- Kanchnaar kanchnar herb is helps to stopping the cancer causing agents
- Guggul or Commiphora Mukul: enhance the growth of cancer cells within the body
- Ashwagandha: s very effective as an anti-inflammatory agent and as an antioxidant. Also effective in the prevention of the growth of cancer cells.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.