A progressive nervous system disorder that affects the movement of an individual is known as “Parkinson’s disease”. In this disorder, tremors are noticed in just one hand. These tremors cause stiffness or slow movements in the body. In Parkinson’s early stage, the face has no expression, arms are not swinging, and speech becomes slurred or soft. With time the condition may get worse. In Parkinson’s disease, the substantia nigra cells start to die which causes dopamine levels to get reduced. This disease usually happens at the age of 50’s or 60’s.
What are the different Stages of Parkinson’s Disease?
According to the scale of symptoms, Parkinson’s disease is divided into five stages.
- Stage 1: It is the mildest form of Parkinson’s in which symptoms are not experienced. This may not interfere with the daily tasks that you perform.
- Stage 2: In stage 2, each person will experience different symptoms such as trembling, tremors, muscle stiffness, & change in facial expressions. You may also experience balance problem, change in posture, facial expression, & gait.
- Stage 3: This is also known as the middle stage that may interfere with your daily tasks. It may slows down your daily activities. But at this stage the patient may maintain their independence & complete daily activities.
- Stage 4: At this stage, a patient may experience difficulty in standing without a walker.
- Stage 5: It is the most advanced stage in which severe symptoms are seen. At this stage, patient feel difficulty in standing. An individual may experience confusion, hallucinations, & delusions.
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease?
The signs & symptoms may vary from patient to patient. At an early stage, the signs are mild and are not noticed. But these symptoms may begin on one side & causes worse condition on that side.
- Impaired balance and posture: Balance and posture may become stopped.
- Tremor: Shaking or tremor may begin in one side of the limb that often appears on fingers or hands. In this condition, the hands of the patient may tremor.
- Muscles rigidity: The stiffness of the muscles causes pain in any part of the body.
- Changes in speech: These patients may speak quickly, softly, hesitate before talking, or slur.
- Changes in writing pattern: The changes take place in writing that sometimes appears small.
- Automatic movements get lost: Your ability to perform unconscious movements get decreased such as smiling, blinking, swinging your arms while walking.
- Bradykinesia: Parkinson’s disease slows down the daily movements of an individual & you feel difficulty in performing simple tasks.
What are the Causes of Parkinson’s Disease?
Parkinson’s disease exact cause is not known. But there are many factors that increase the risk for the development of Parkinson’s such as:
- Age: The people between the age of 50 and 60s are more prone to this disease.
- Family history: If a close family member in your family is having Parkinson’s disease than you may have the chance of getting it.
- Sex: Men are at higher risk of developing this disease as compare to women.
- Head injury: The patient with head injuries may develop Parkinson’s disease.
- Toxins: Increased toxins in the body can cause Parkinson’s disease.
What is the Ayurvedic view of Parkinson’s Disease?
In Ayurveda, Parkinson’s disease is known as “Kampavata” which affects 1% of the population. Apana vayu is mostly accumulated that gets aggravated in the body. Mainly vata dosha is involved in this disease that causes disturbance & weakness in the body.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Parkinson’s Disease?
Ayurveda is the best way to treat this disorder as in Ayurved there are different herbs that will balance the vata dosha in the body. It will deal with all the signs & symptoms associated with Parkinson’s patients. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre introduces a “Parkinson’s Care Kit” that contains four Ayurvedic medicines in it. These medicines will give good & effective results in a month.
Here are the details of the medicines:
1. Vaat Nashak
These are ayurvedic herbal tablets that are formulated with ingredients such as jahar mohra pishti, abhrak bhasma, giloy, etc. The use of these tablets balances vata dosha in the body. It provides good & effective results to the patients with Parkinson’s disease.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
2. Detox Premium Powder
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains moti pishti, shukta pishti, parwal pishti, giloy satav, kamdudha ras, akik pishti, jahar mohra pishti, gandhak rasayan, shankh bhasma, gandhak rasayan, shwet parpati, yavakshaar, etc. The use of this herbal powder deal with the different stages of Parkinson’s disease.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
3. Kaunch Beej Capsule
Kaunch beej capsules are prepared from the standardized extract of herb Mucuna pruriens. This herbal capsule deal with all types of neurological disorders. It deals with the excess vata dosha, increases immunity, & provide strength to the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily with normal water.
4. Noni Capsule
Noni capsules are prepared from the standardized extract of herb Noni (Morinda citrifolia). It deals with the all signs & symptoms related to Parkinson’s disease.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Parkinson’s Disease?
Along with Ayurvedic medicines, panchakarma treatment provides a fruitful result in Parkinson’s patient. The Panchakarma procedures in this disease give good & effective results. The procedures that are recommended to these patients are:
- Abhyanga: In this procedure, medicated oil is applied over the body & massage is done. It will remove the aggravated vata dosha & balance it.
- Vasti: In this procedure, medicated oil or decoction is given to the patient through the anal region. This will help to remove the toxins from the lower part & balance the vata dosha in the body. Hence this is good for patients dealing with Parkinson’s problem.
Healthy diet & lifestyle:
The patient with Parkinson’s disease should follow a healthy diet & lifestyle in their life. So the patient should follow the following steps mentioned below:
- Include vegetables such as bottle gourd, bitter gourd, ridge gourd, carrot, beetroot, beans, spinach, fenugreek, turnip, etc in your diet & avoid potato, sweet potato, yam, etc.
- Drink juices such as carrot, beetroot, apple, amla, bottle gourd, etc.
- Green coconut water is also good for health.
- Eat fruits such as papaya, apple, pineapple, peach, pear, pomegranate, kiwi, etc.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Do perform yoga poses such as tadasana, urdhava hastasana, virabhadrasana, supta baddha konasana.
- Along with yoga poses do perform meditation.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.