A complex hormonal disorder is known as PCOS that affects many females in their childhood. The body’s regulation hormones like insulin and testosterone are suspected cause of PCOS.
An imbalance in female sex hormones leads to a condition known as Polycystic ovarian syndrome. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a common problem among women at the reproductive stage.
The symptoms present in PCOS women are disturbed or prolonged menstrual periods or an increase of male hormone levels i.e. androgen.
The disturbance in frequency and duration of the menstrual cycle is due to increased levels of androgens. Ovaries may be filled with follicles along with non-release of ova. The excess facial and body hair (hirsutism), acne vulgaris, and mood changes are common symptoms of PCOS.
Pregnancy becomes difficult and may be dangerous to a patient’s overall health if left untreated. The percentage of irregular menstruation is about 80%, 70 percent have a high level of Testosterone leading to hirsutism and sometimes Alopecia and acne.
There is a difference between PCOS cysts and normal cyst types, one is Kapha Pradhana and other Pitta Vataja pradhan Vyadhi.
Signs and Symptoms of PCOS
The common signs & symptoms seen in PCOS patients are:
- After having one or more normal ones, there is no period during puberty i.e. secondary amenorrhea
- Irregular menstrual history
- Excessive hair growth over the face, around nipples and other body parts
- Size of breast decreases
- Weight gain
- The clitoris becomes Enlarged
- Hair thinning, depression, and mood swings
- Change in Voice i.e. it gets deeper
- Excessive bleeding during periods
- Acne Vulgaris that gets worse.
- The skin of the neck, underarms, and groin area become darker.
Causes of PCOS
The exact cause of PCOS is not known but few of the reasons are mentioned below:
- When the level of androgen increases excessively, it causes ovulation difficulty that may cause reason for PCOS.
- Genetic reason can be a cause of PCOS For example: If in your family your mother, the grandmother is having a history of PCOS than you may have higher chances of developing PCOS.
- When ovaries produce high levels of androgen it results in acne and excessive hair growth.
- Lifestyle changes
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Sleep apnea
- Fat and cholesterol related abnormalities.
- Obesity can be a cause of PCOS in women as it increases inflammation in the body.
Ayurvedic view of PCOS
As per Ayurveda PCOS cases clinically are seen of two varieties, one is Kapha Pradhana and other Pitta Vataja Pradhana dosha. In Ayurved, it is correlated with “Aarthava Kshaya”. Kaphaja Pradhana patients are more obese & are more prone to PCOS.
- Physical examination
- Menstrual history
- Blood examination(FBS and lipid profile)
- Thyroid profile
- USG of abdomen and vagina
- Breast cancer
- Cardiac complication
- High cholesterol
- Endometrial cancer
Yoga asanas recommended for PCOD
Yoga is so beneficial in maintaining the overall well being of an individual. It acts as a natural treatment in PCOS. Along with medicines, one can follow these asanas for better and fast recovery.
Some of the asanas
- Shavasana(corpse pose)- lie flat on the ground, keeps legs apart by keepings arms and legs relaxed. palms facing upwards and relax. take a slow and deep breath. Practice for 10 mins
- Padamasana (lotus pose)-Sit on the ground with a straight spine. Bend right knee and place over left thigh with sole facing upwards and close to the abdomen. keep your head straight and place hand over folded knees. practice for 1 min and breathe gently
- Balasana(child pose)sit on heels. keep knees apart and bring down your head to touch the floor and lay your torso down between your thighs. After this place your hands on the floor at the sides of the torso and relax your shoulders.
- Naukasana(boat pose)- lie on the back with joined feet and arms resting beside. Take a deep breath and lift your head, chest, and feet above the ground. Keep eyes, toes, and fingers straight and take deep breaths. The pressure is felt in the abdominal region. Maintain this pose up to 1 min
Benefits of yoga in PCOD
- Help to maintain weights and prevent obesity
- Improves fertility
- Maintain stress levels
- Maintain GIT tract
PCOS reflects the vitiation of rasa and rakta dhatus in the body. When levels of impurities and toxins increase in rasa and rakta dhatus, the body stores them in the form of cysts around ovaries.
In Ayurveda, several herbs will treat PCOS from its root cause. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre has formulated ayurvedic medicines in PCOD Relief Kit. This kit comprises of five products in it mentioned below in detail:
1. Stri – Vyadhihari Tablets
These herbal tablets are prepared from ingredients like:
- Sootikabharan Rasa
- Latakaranj Beeja Ghan
- Shatahva Beej Churna, etc.
Stri – Vyadhihari tablets are very beneficial as it improves ovarian functions. It is helpful to correct the hormonal imbalance. These tablets nourish the female reproductive organs and balance the Vata and pitta dosha. The tablets are beneficial in menstrual discomfort and menstrual disorders. It also treats obesity.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
2. Stri Poshak Syrup
This herbal syrup is prepared from ingredients like:
- Ashok chall (Saraca asoca)
- Lodhar chall (Symlocos racemosa)
- Khadir chall (Acacia catechu)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Patrang (Caesalpinia sappan)
- Mochras (Salmalia malabarica)
- Mulathi (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Daru Haldi (Berberis aristata), etc.
This herbal syrup is very beneficial in menstrual cramps. The ingredient used in this syrup restores the natural menstrual flow during the menstruation and regulates the menstrual cycle.
This syrup is very beneficial in female infertility. It helps to cure Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. It also relieves stress, anxiety, and tension.
Recommended Dosage–Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
3. Kanchnaar Guggul
It is one of the very efficient Ayurvedic herbal medicine that contains ingredients like
- Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata)
- Shunti (Zingiber officinale)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), etc.
Kanchnaar guggul is mainly administrated in the cysts. These tablets are used in the condition of dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia. It is the best medicine for the Rakta – Shodaka. These tablets are very beneficial for hormonal imbalance. It enhances female reproductive health and infertility.
Recommended Dosage –Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
4. Stri – Poshak Capsules
These capsules contain ingredients like:
- Ashok chall (Saraca asoca)
- Lodhar chall (Symplocos racemosa)
- Khadir chall (Senegalia catechu)
- Aamlaki (Phylanthus emblica)
- Nagkesar (Mesua ferrea)
- Supari (Areca catechu), etc.
These capsules are used for maintaining women’s health. Stri Poshak capsule is used for irregular menstrual periods; pelvic pain. Lowering of insulin resistance level & restoration of fertility. It is beneficial for the prevention of endometrial hyperplasia and endometrial cancer.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
5. PCOD Relief Sachet
These herbal sachets are prepared from various ingredients mentioned in detail given below:
Praval Pishti: This pishti balances all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) in the body. It shows anti-inflammatory, digestive stimulant, antacid, etc properties that relieve the signs and symptoms related to PCOD patients.
- Imli shaar: It reduces pain and swelling in PCOD patients.
- Yavakshaar: This shaar balances Vata and Kapha dosha in the body.
Shukta Pishti: It balances the Pitta dosha and removes Ama (toxins) from the body. This pishti is beneficial in heartburn, indigestion, abdominal pain, osteoporosis, loss of appetite, osteopenia, etc related to PCOD patients.
Giloy satv: The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, immuno-modulator, etc properties of this satv are beneficial in PCOD.
Jahar Mohra Pishti: It pacifies all three doshas (Vata, pitta, Kapha) in the body.
Shwet Parpati: This parpati removes all toxins out from the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.