Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- July 16, 2019
- Posted by Dr. Karanvir Singh
- 0 Comment(s)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is condition in which a woman has an imbalance in female sex hormones. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which is common among women at reproductive age group. Women with PCOS may have infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods or excess male hormones (androgen) levels. They may present with disturbance in frequency and duration of menstrual cycle associated with increased levels of androgens. Ovaries may be filled with follicles along with non release of ova. PCOS can cause symptoms including excess facial and body hair (hirsutism), acne vulgaris, and mood changes. It can also make it difficult to become pregnant, and may significantly harm a person overall health if left untreated. About 80 percent have irregular menstruation, 70 percent have high level of Testosterone leading to hirsutism and sometimes Alopecia and acne. PCOS cysts are different from normal ovarian cysts. According to Ayurveda PCOS cases clinically are seen of two types, one is Kapha Pradhana and other Pitta Vataja pradhan vyadhi.
What are the General Signs and Symptoms of PCOS?
The signs & symptoms seen in PCOS patients are:
- No period after you have one or more normal ones during puberty (secondary amenorrhea)
- Irregular periods
- Excessive hair growth over face, and around nipples
- Decreased breast size
- Enlargement of the clitoris
- Hair thinning, depression, and mood disorders
- Voice gets deeper
- Excessive bleeding
- Acne Vulgaris that gets worse.
- Thick dark skin developing on neck, underarms, and groin
What are the Causes of PCOS
The exact cause of PCOS is not known but few of the reasons are mentioned below:
- When there is excessive increase in androgen it causes ovulation difficulty that may be a reason for PCOS.
- If in your family your mother, grandmother is having history of PCOS than you may be at higher risk of developing PCOS.
- When ovaries produce high levels of androgen it results in acne and excessive hair growth.
- Obese women are at higher risk of developing PCOS as it increases inflammation in the body.
What is the Ayurvedic view of PCOS?
As per Ayurveda PCOS cases clinically are seen of two varieties, one is Kapha Pradhana and other Pitta Vataja pradhana dosha. In Ayurved it is correlated with “Aarthava Kshaya”. Kaphaja pradhana patients are obese & are more prone to PCOS.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS?
PCOS reflects vitiation of rasa and rakta dhatus in the body. When levels of impurities and toxins increase in rasa and rakta dhatus, body stores them in form of cysts around ovaries. In Ayurveda there are number of herbs that will treat PCOS form its root cause. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre has formulated ayurvedic medicines in PCOD Relief Kit. This kit comprises of five products in it mentioned below in detail:
Real Testimonial of PCOD Patient
1. Detox Premium Powder:
This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like Parwal Pishti, Giloy satv, Shukta Pishti, Kamdudha Ras, Gandhak Rasayan, etc.
Parwal Pishti: This Pishti reduces inflammation, flaking, itching of the skin. The Pishti is composed of natural coral calcium processed with rose water.
Shukta Pishti: It helps to balance the Pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to Psoriasis patients are managed with this article.
Giloy Satv: This satv is prepared from the herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties of this herb deal with psoriasis easily.
Kamdudha Ras: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances Pitta dosha in the body.
Gandhak Rasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
Akik Pishti: This Pishti reduces all types of Pitta related disorder hence it gives good results in psoriasis.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
2. Women Champion Syrup
Woman Champion is purely herbal and ayurvedic formulation. It is a very effective tonic for women and help to maintain their health. It balances all the doshas of body and also maintain hormone levels. It contains herbs like Lodhra, Manjishta, Ashok chaal, Punarnava,Shatavar,Bala,Daruharidra,Nagarmotha that help women typically with mood changes, stress, headache and pain. CAC Women champion helps in leading a life of minimum discomfort during those difficult days every month. It act as antioxidant, anti inflammatory, anti spasmodic, uterine tonic and immunity booster.
Recommended Dosage– Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
3. Kanchnaar Guggul
It is one of the very efficient Ayurvedic herbal medicine that contain ingredients like
- Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata)
- Shunti (Zingiber officinale)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), etc.
Kanchnaar guggul is mainly administrated in the cysts.These tablet are used in the condition of dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia. It is the best medicine for the Rakta – Shodaka.These tablets are very beneficial for hormonal imbalance. It enhances female reproductive health and infertility.
Recommended Dosage –Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
4. Woman power tablet
It is a complete health supplement for women who are best for female health and vital energy. It helps to build up the immunity. This is a pure herbo mineral product of the best quality herbs. The herbs used are Ashoka, Shatavari, anatmool, etc. These are herbs used since ancient times to maintain female health metabolism. It works well in the reproductive system and other health-related disorders. The extract of these herbs is used which provides multiple health benefits. These herbs have the potential to improve female health and libido. The main Ingredients Rajah pravarthini vati, Femine care tablet, Shatavar extract, Ashoka chall extract, Ashwagandha extract, Giloy extract. It shows a great effect on menopausal women. It works well in hot flushes and mood swings. It regulates the female menstrual cycle, relieve menstrual pain, Used in leucorrhea is excessive discharge from the vagina, excessive menstruation, painful menstruation and delayed menstruation the herbs can alleviate almost every female problem when used for a long, regular period.
Dosage – 1 tab twice daily after meal.
5. Cyst Heal Tablet
CAC Cyst heal tablet is a pure ayurvedic medicine that contains various herbs extract that works on the any kind of abnormal growth like cyst, myoma, polyp, lipoma, lumps in breast, benign or malignant tumor. Cyst heal tablet helps in reducing any kind of abnormal growth in the body and reducing overall body weight. It treats menstrual irregularity, increases ovulation and follicular maturity, PCOS and treats female infertility as well.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
6. Femine Care Tablet
Femine care tablet is a pure and natural remedy that contains various herbs extract that works on the female reproductive system and make it healthy. These tablets show antioxidant properties, anti inflamatory and immuno modulater properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment in PCOS?
In Ayurveda Panchkarma help in cleansing, detoxifying, restoring the hormones and metabolic imbalance related to women with PCOS. There are some Panchkarma therapies which help in the successful management of PCOS. All therapies are mentioned below in detail:
- Abhyanga – In this therapy massage with medicated oil is given to the patient.
- Basti – In Ayurveda Basti chikitsa is one of the most effective therapies for PCOS especially boosting fertility and ensuring healthy conception. Basti involves a series of medicated enemas performed over the specific number of days. Basti consists of various Ayurvedic medicinal herbal ghee, herbal oils and kashaya.
- Vamana – In Panchakarma Vamana is a cleansing and detoxifying therapy which involves systematic and planned removal of toxins by inducing emesis. Vamana helps in balancing hormones, boosts fertility and help in weight loss. It is crucial for long term successful managements of PCOS.
- Virechan – In Panchakarma Virechan is yet another detoxifying therapy which involves removal of toxins by inducing purgation (increased bowel movements). Virechan is extremely effective in PCOS, hormonal imbalance or irregular periods.
Healthy Tips and Diet for PCOS Patients
Here are some healthy tips along with diet that will provide good results to PCOS patients:
- Drink low-fat milk by adding a pinch of turmeric in it.
- Eat fruits such as apples, papaya, grape, pineapple, oranges and pears.
- Reduce the intake of refine sugar. Honey is excellent for reducing kapha.
- Beans are recommended. Nuts should be avoided.
- In PCOS Spices are recommended only in moderate quantities.
- Vegetable such as potatoes and sweet potatoes should be avoided.
- Follow a lifestyle that will not aggravate any dosha in your body.
- Negative feeling or thoughts like stress and tension should be avoided.
- Limit the use of contraceptive pills.
- Follow an active lifestyle, do exercise, yoga, pranayama.
- Do perform yoga poses like bhujangasana, naukasana, dhanurasana, balasana, padmasana, etc.
- Stop Smoking, drinking alcohol and using narcotics, etc.
- Stop high calorie diet such as carbohydrate, fat rich diet, bakery items, and fast food.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.