Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a condition in which, there is inflammation and ulcers in the colon and the rectum part of the intestine. This is also known as Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). This disease causes inflammation and sores (ulcers) in the digestive tract. UC affects mostly the lining of the large intestine (colon) and rectum. The major symptoms of Ulcerative colitis are pain in the abdomen and diarrhea mixed with blood. Fever, weight loss, and anemia can also occur in this disease.
Sign and Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis
Sign and Symptoms of UC are depending upon the severity of inflammation, these are mentioned below in details: –
- Loose stools
- Stool with blood or pus
- Severe abdominal Pain
- Abdominal cramps
- Loss of weight
- Rectal bleeding
- Presence of mucus in stool
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the rectal region
- Loss of appetite
- General body weakness
- Body ache
- Urgency to defecate
- Inability to defecate despite urgency
- Failure to grow in children
Causes of Ulcerative Colitis
- Unhygienic factor
- Poor Diet
- Weak Immune System
- Recurrent abdominal infections
- Attacks of Bacteria or Virus in the Digestive tract
- Hereditary factors
- Family history
- Dietary Changes
Types of Ulcerative Colitis
There are different types of Ulcerative colitis are depending upon the location and severity of the disease, these types are mentioned below: –
1. Ulcerative Proctitis
In this condition, there is inflammation is near the anus. This is the mildest form of ulcerative colitis. In this condition, the sign of rectal bleeding is seen.
2. Left-Sided Colitis
In this condition, the inflammation starts from the rectum and seen up to the sigmoid and descending colon of the intestine. The signs and symptoms are abdominal cramps, weight loss, loose stools with blood, and pain on the left side of the abdomen.
In this condition, the rectum and sigmoid colon (lower end of the colon) are inflamed. The signs and symptoms are seen in this abdominal cramps, abdominal pain, loose stool with blood, and tenesmus.
In this condition, the entire colon is affected. This is a severe condition. The signs and symptoms of this are abdominal cramps, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of weight, loose stool with mucus and blood.
5. Acute Severe Ulcerative Colitis
In this condition, colitis affects the entire colon. The signs and symptoms related to this disease are severe pain in the abdomen, loose stool with blood, loss of weight, general body weakness, and loss of appetite.
Risk Factors of Ulcerative Colitis
There are different types of risk factors associated with ulcerative colitis are mentioned below: –
Ulcerative colitis may occur before the age of 30 years; this is one of the major factors of the disease. In some cases, this disease can occur at any age, the disease may develop after age 60 years.
If the parents, a sibling is having this disease then the patient can also, become a carrier of ulcerative colitis.
Complications of Ulcerative Colitis
There are different complications of Ulcerative colitis, mentioned below in detail:
- Excessive bleeding from the anal region
- Inflammation in skin, eyes, and joints
- Perforated colon
- Loose stools
- Colon cancer
- Osteoporosis (loss of Bones)
- Swelling in the Colon region
- Excessive mucus formation
- Severe dehydration due to loose stools
Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis According to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda Ulcerative colitis is correlated to “Grahni roga”. In this condition, the Pitta dosha is imbalanced along with the Kapha dosha. With this disease, the Rakta dhatu and Mamsa Dhatu are affected in the body. These all complications are caused due to excessive Pitta vardhak ahar in the diet. Ayurveda contains various herbs that act on the root cause and excrete out from the body. Ayurveda has a proper treatment of ulcerative colitis. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is the best center that treats chronic patients with Ulcerative Colitis, with “Ulcerative colitis care pack”, this pack cures the disease of its root cause. This pack contains the six herbal products mentioned below in details: –
- Detox Premium Powder
- KutajGhan Vati
- Uti Care Tablet
- Liver Care Tablets
Description of All Products
1. Detox Premium Powder
The Detox Premium Powder is a herbo-mineral sachet, this herb especially designed for patients with ulcerative colitis. There are various herbal ingredients used for the formation of Detox Premium Powder, these ingredients are as follows: –
- JaharMohra Pishti
- ShuktaPishti:- This is a form of the bhasma, This bhasma is prepared from pearl oyster shell calcium. This pishti shows the properties of Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that gives good relief in the patients of the ulcerative colitis.
- PrawalPishti:- This is prepared from coral calcium. This helps to reduce the bleeding caused by ulcerative colitis.
- GiloySatv:- This herbal Giloy satv helps to remove all the toxins out from the body. It also helps to reduce the excessive Pitta dosha from the body caused by ulcerative colitis.
- JaharMohra Pishti:- This Jahar Mohra Pishti has the antidiarrheal This pishti stops excessive loose stools that are the main symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
- KehrvaPishti:- In rectal bleeding, this pishti provides good results. It also gave relief in rectal bleeding, diarrhea and abdominal inflammation caused due to ulcerative colitis.
- SutshekharRas:- Sutshekhar ras helps to reduce gastritis and bloating. This drug also provides calming effect to the body.
- AkikPishti:- This medicine is a mineral-based medicine. This helps to reduce excessive heat, body weakness, and general debility.
- KamdudhaRas:- This ras is beneficial in bleeding tendencies, burning sensation, and loose stools, caused by ulcerative colitis.
- MotiBhasma:- This herb helps to reduce the inflammation of the body. Its herb has anti-inflammatory properties also.
Dosage:- One Sachet twice a day with normal water.
2. Pitshekhar Ras
Ulcerative colitis is mainly caused due to increased pitta doshas in the body. Pitshekhar Ras is a herbal preparation used to treat ulcerative colitis. So the Pittashekhar ras used to balance pitta doshas in the body. This ras has a cooling effect. This ras is very helpful in symptoms like headache, burning sensation, heaviness, acidic reflux, and pain in the abdomen. The main ingredients of this Drugs are pure and free from chemicals, additives, colors, and fillers.
- Tamra Bhasma
Dosage:- One Tablet Twice in a Day with normal water 30 minutes before a meal.
3. Kutaja Ghan Vati
Kutaj ghan vati is a herbal preparation that is safe without any side effects. This medicine used to treat chronic diarrhea caused by ulcerative colitis. It is also helps in the digestion of ama. This also helps to remove the toxins out from the body. It helps to stop rectal bleeding, abdominal cramps, and colon inflammation. It is prepared from the following ingredients: –
Dosage:- Two Tablets Twice in a Day with normal water, 30 mins after a meal.
4. Stop Bleeding Tablets
This Stop Bleeding tablet is a pure herbal formulation; this tablet has anticoagulant properties. This tablet helps to reduce or stop heavy bleeding caused by ulcerative colitis. During bleeding, the body forms clots to stop the excessive bleeding. In some cases, these clots lead to bleeding after breakage. So the Stop bleeding tablet helps to stop the clots from breakage and then helps to reduce the excessive unwanted bleeding. These tablets also have pain killer, anti-inflammatory, and anticoagulant properties. It also helps to balance pitta doshas and helps in the detoxification of blood (rakta dhatu).
Dosage:- One Tablet Twice a Day with normal water 30 minutes after a meal.
5. Amalpitmishran Syrup
This syrup is a pure herbal syrup. This is helpful in hyperacidity, gastritis, headache, nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdominal and anorexia. This drug mainly balances the imbalanced Pitta doshas in the body. This drug consists of the ingredients: –
- Vasa (AdhatodaVasica)
- Guduchi(Tinospora Cordifolia)
- Neem (AzadirachtaIndica)
- Bhringraj(Eclipta Alba)
- Haritaki(Terminalia Chebula)
- Bahera(Terminalia Bellirica)
- Amla(Emblica Officinalis)
- Yashtimadhu(Glycyrrhiza Glabra)
- MuktaShukta Bhasam
Dosage:- Two Teaspoonful Twice in a day.
6. Digestion Support Tablet
This Digestion support tablet is a unique blend of the best digestive herbs. This herb helps to maintain a natural pH balance in the stomach. It helps in the digestion of all types of food. The herbs also control acidity, gas formation, flatulence and constipation in the body. The tablet contains the following ingredients: –
- Piper Mint
Dosage:- One Tablet Twice in a Day.
7. Sheet Dhara Syrup
This herbal syrup is used to neutralize the high acid content in the stomach. It also reduces ama, pain in abdominal, abdominal cramps, bloating, blenching, nausea, vomiting, and feeling of discomfort. This is prepared from ingredients such as:-
Dosage:- Half teaspoonful in half cup of water. Drink this syrup twice in a day empty stomach.
Panchakarma Procedures for Ulcerative Colitis Patients
The Panchakarma along with Ayurvedic medicines provides very effective results in patients with Ulcerative colitis. Panchakarma is also very helpful to cure body weakness.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre treats the patient with Ulcerative colitis with Yapna Basti. This therapy is very helpful in the condition of Ulcerative colitis.
Healthy Tips and Diet for Ulcerative Colitis Patients
Diet plays an important role in patients with Ulcerative Colitis. The patients of UC should eat a healthy diet and avoid processed, spicy food products and a fried diet.
- You should include pink and yellow lentils in your diet. Rest all lentils should be avoided in your diet.
- You should start to eat cornflour (MakkiAtta), If you are not able to digest wheat flour (Gehu atta). You can also eat white rice or white rice atta if you want to eat light food.
- Add vegetables in your daily diet like bottle-gourd, pumpkin, ridge-gourd, bitter-gourd, and boiled potato, etc.
- Avoid vegetables like brinjal, onion, ginger, capsicum, garlic, yam, etc. in your diet.
- You should eat the fruits like apples, bananas, pears, melons, etc.
- Avoid fruits like oranges, lemon, pineapple, etc.
- You should use spices like coriander, cumin, fennel in your diet.
- Avoid spices like red chilies, black pepper, turmeric, black cardamom, and Dalchini, etc.
- Drink green coconut water once in a day.
- Drink a juice of pomegranate, coriander leaves, apple, and carrot. And Drink this juice once in a day.
- Prepare an herbal tea from coriander, cumin, fennel, green cardamom in equal quantity and boil this in three to four cups of water till remaining one cup. Strain this mixture, and let it cool down, and drink this once or twice in a day. This syrup helps to cure hyperacidityand bloating caused by ulcerative colitis.
- You should take two boiled egg whites.
- Avoid all kind of non-vegetarian diet.
- Drink 20 ml of coriander juice with marigold flower juice early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Avoid excessive exercises, but you can do few breathing exercises.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.