When you live with chronic pain, you never tell the truth. When someone asks you how you are or how you feel. You lie & say, I’m fine or I’m ok, & you smile this is the condition of an ulcerative colitis patient. It is an inflammatory bowel disease that causes inflammation & ulcers formation in the digestive tract. This chronic disease affects the innermost lining of the large intestine and rectum. Ulcerative colitis can sometimes lead to a life-threatening condition if not treated at the proper time.
Table of Contents
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis?
Depending upon the severity of inflammation the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis patients may vary:
- Loose stools with blood or pus
- Pain in the abdomen
- Abdominal cramps
- Weight loss
- Rectal bleeding
- Presence of mucus in stool
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the rectal region
- Loss of appetite
- General weakness
What are the Causes of Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is a disease that may aggravate due to excessive stress and dietary changes. The exact cause of this disease is unknown. Weak immune system attack the cells of the digestive tract that ultimately shows the signs and symptoms related to this disease. The family history also plays a role in the formation of ulcerative colitis.
What are the Different Types of Ulcerative Colitis?
According to the location & severity the different types of Ulcerative colitis are:
1. Ulcerative Proctitis
This is the mildest form of ulcerative colitis in this the inflammation is near to the anus. Rectal bleeding is the sign seen in this condition.
2. Left-sided Colitis
In this type of colitis the inflammation starts from the rectum and seen up to the sigmoid and descending colon. Abdominal cramps, loose stools with blood, weight loss, pain on the left side of the abdomen are the signs and symptoms associated with it.
In this, the lower end of the colon is inflamed that involves (the rectum & sigmoid colon). Abdominal cramps, pain in the abdomen, loose stool with blood, & tenesmus are the signs & symptoms related in it.
This is a severe condition that affects the entire colon. The signs and symptoms related to this are abdominal cramps, fatigue, abdominal pain, weight loss, loose stool with blood & mucus.
5. Acute severe Ulcerative Colitis
In this situation, the entire colon is affected with the colitis. The signs and symptoms related to it are severe pain, loose stool with bleeding, weight loss, weakness, loss of appetite, etc.
Who are at a Higher Risk of Ulcerative Colitis?
There are different risk factors associated with ulcerative colitis like:
It is one of the important factors in which ulcerative colitis may begin before the age of 30. The disease can occur at any age in some cases the disease may develop after age 60.
If your parents, sibling is having this disease then you can also become a carrier.
What are the Possible Complications of Ulcerative Colitis?
There are different complications related to this disease mentioned in detail below:
- Excessive bleeding
- Inflammation in skin, joints, & eyes
- Perforated colon
- Colon cancer
- Osteoporosis (Bone loss)
- Swelling in colon
- Excessive mucus formation
- Severe dehydration
What is the Ayurvedic View & Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis?
In Ayurveda Ulcerative colitis is correlated to “Grahni roga” in which mainly pitta dosha is imbalanced along with the kapha dosha. The Rakta & Mamsa Dhatu are affected in the body with this disease. These all are due to including excessive Pitta vardhak ahar in your diet. For a proper treatment of ulcerative colitis Ayurveda contain various herbs that act on the root cause & vanish it from there. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre the best centre that dealing with chronic patients since 131 years provides “Ulcerative colitis care pack” that treats this disease easily. The pack comprises in it six products Detox Premium Powder, Pitshekhar Ras, Kutaj ghan vati, UTI Care Tablet, & Amalpitmishran Syrup, Liver Care Tablets.
Real Testimonial of Ulcerative Colitis Patient
The description of all products in detail:
1. Detox Premium Powder
These are herbal-mineral sachet especially designed for the ulcerative colitis patients. The various ingredients used for the formation of these sachets are prawal pishti, shukta pishti, Giloy satv, kehrva pishti, Jahar Mohra pishti, sutshekhar ras, shankh bhasma, kamdudha ras, moti bhasma that in combination provide good relief on the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis patients.
- Shukta pishti: The bhasma is prepared from pearl oyster shell calcium. This pishti shows antioxidant & anti-inflammatory properties that give deal with the ulcerative colitis patients.
- Prawal pishti: It is made from coral calcium that reduces bleeding associated with ulcerative colitis patients.
- Giloy satv: This herbal satv remove all toxins from the body. It reduces excessive Pitta from the body associated with ulcerative colitis.
- Jahar Mohra pishti: The antidiarrheal property of this pishti stops loose stools that are the main symptoms in ulcerative colitis patient.
- Kehrva pishti: This pishti provides good results in rectal bleeding, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and abdominal inflammation related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Sutshekhar ras: This preparation reduces bloating & gastritis. It provides calming effect on the body.
- Akik pishti: It is a mineral-based medicine that reduces excessive heat, weakness, & general debility.
- Kamdudha ras: This ras is beneficial in burning sensation, loose stools, bleeding tendencies related to ulcerative colitis patients.
- Moti bhasma: The anti-inflammatory property of this herb reduces inflammation in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Ulcer Heal Tablet
Ulcers are caused when the colon becomes inflamed and there is a formation of ulcers on the inner lining of the colon. the largest intestine is affected rather than the small intestine. these are painful, swollen, and leads to fullness and a perpetual feeling of going to pass stools. Ulcers heal tablets of CAC protect the endothelial layer, cure ulcers, and restores body metabolism.
Recommended Dosage : Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water 30 mins after a meal.
3. Kutaja Ghan Vati
It is an herbal formulation that is safe without any side effects. It is prepared from ingredients like Kutaj, Shankh bhasma, & Musta. These ingredients help to treat chronic diarrhea associated with ulcerative colitis. It is also helpful in ama digestion i.e. removal of toxins from the body, rectal bleeding, colon inflammation and abdominal cramps.
Recommended Dosage : Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water 30 mins after a meal.
4. Stop Bleeding Tablets
CAC stop bleeding tablet is a pure herbal formulation that acts as an anticoagulant in nature. it helps to stop or reduce heavy bleeding. when there is bleeding, the body forms clots to stop the bleeding. in some of these clots leads to bleeding after breakage. therefore stop bleeding tablet helps in stopping the clots from breaking and thus reduce the excessive unwanted bleeding. these tablets have anti-inflammatory, pain killer, anticoagulant properties. It also pacifies pitta doshas and helps in detoxification of rakta dhatu (blood tissue).
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water after meal.
5. Puran Pachak
Puran Pachak is a herbo-mineral Syrup of 200 ml and is Purely Ayurvedic formulation. CAC Puran Pachak syrup helps in Digestion, Supports the Digestive system, and Maintains the doshas in our body. It also helps to remove out impurities or ama from the body. This syrup reduce the Acidity, Detoxify the blood and also Supports the body health. It shows Antacid, Digestive, Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, Expectorant, and Antioxidant properties. This syrup is made up of pure ayurvedic herbs such as Mulethi, Saunf, Vasakha, Ajwayan, Prpati etc. that helps to maintain the Digestive system and in the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
6. Digestion Support Tablet:
This tablet is unique blend of best digestive herbs like kutaz chal, bilav, dhania, mustak, shankh bhasm, piper mint, and dadim that maintain natural Ph balance in the stomach and aid digestion of all types of food. The herbs present in this control acidity, gas, flatulence and constipation.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
7. Sheet Dhara Syrup
This herbal syrup is prepared from ingredients such as ajwain satav, mushak kapoor, peppermint, etc that naturally relieve the symptoms like bloating, blenching, nausea, vomiting, feeling of discomfort, etc. The regular use of this herbal syrup neutralizes the high acid content, reduces abdominal pain, & cramps.
Recommended dosage: Take half teaspoonful of this syrup in half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily on an empty stomach.
Which Types of Panchakarma Procedures For Ulcerative Colitis Patients?
As we known, Panchakarma provides effective results along with Ayurvedic medicines. But in ulcerative colitis patients as we know a patient is already so weak in health. So we avoid panchakarma but the patients whose condition is little bit better Chandigarh Ayurved Centre recommends Yapna Basti to that patient in less quantity.
Diet & Healthy Tips for Ulcerative Colitis Patients:
Diet plays an important role in the life of ulcerative colitis patients. These patients should eat a healthy diet & avoid processed, fried, spicy food products.
- You should include yellow & pink lentils in your diet. Rest all lentils should be avoided.
- If you are not able to digest wheatflour (Gehu atta) than you should start with cornflour (Makki atta). You can also take white rice if you want to eat light food.
- Include vegetables like bottle-gourd, ridge-gourd, bitter-gourd, boiled potato, pumpkin, etc in your diet & avoid brinjal, capsicum, garlic, onion, ginger, yam, etc.
- Eat fruits like apple, banana, pear, melon, etc & avoid oranges, lemon, pineapple, etc.
- You can use spices like coriander, cumin, fennel, & avoid red chilies, black pepper, turmeric, black cardamom, Dalchini, etc.
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Prepare a juice of pomegranate, coriander leaves, carrot, & apple. Drink this juice daily once.
- If you are suffering from hyperacidity, bloating related to ulcerative colitis than prepare an herbal tea from coriander, cumin, fennel, green cardamom. Take these in equal quantity boil in three to four cups of water until remaining one cup. Strain the mixture, let it cool down, & drink once or twice daily.
- You can take two boiled egg-whites but avoid all kind of non-vegetarian diet.
- Early in the morning on an empty stomach drink 20 ml of coriander juice with marigold flower juice.
- Don’t exert your body as avoid excessive exercises but you can do few breathing exercises.
- Drink plenty of water.
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.