Goitre is defined as the condition in which there is an enlargement of the thyroid gland. The size may vary from a small nodule to a large lump in the neck. Although it is non cancerous and painless but if it becomes too large it causes difficulty in swallowing and breathing. This disease is more common among women and those who are 50 years and above. Goitre may or may not be associated with the thyroid gland dysfunction.
Goitre is caused due to the following reasons:
- Deficiency of iodine in the body
- Inflammation of the thyroid gland also causes goitre
- Exposure to radiations
- Pregnancy and menopause
- Family history of autoimmune diseases
- Excessive use antiretroviral drugs, medications for cardiac problems or intake of immunosuppressant drugs
- Cigratte smoking also causes goitre
- Some bacterial, viral and fungal infections may also cause goitre
- Pathologies such as thyroid cancer, thyroid dysfunction can lead to the development of goitre
- Diseases like hashimotos thyroiditis, grave’s disease, follicular adenoma, sporadic multinodular goitre also increase the risk of developing goitre.
- Increased intake of soyabean, spinach and peanuts increase the risk of developing goitre.
- Painless swelling in the neck region
- Excessive cough
- Difficulty in swallowing and breathing
- Feeling of something pressing inside the throat
- Hoarseness of the voice
- Feeling of heaviness in the body
- Protruding eyes
- Feeling sleepy most of the time
- Raised cholesterol level
- Changes in the menstrual flow
- Neck vein distension
- Rapid heartbeat
- Nausea and vomiting
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, Goitre is known as Galganda. Galganda is caused mainly due to vitiated kapha and vata dosha. The vitiated kapha dosha combines with the meda dhatu of the body and leads to the formation of immobile, heavy swelling in front of the throat known as galganda. It is of three types in Ayurveda:
- Vataj Galganda- This type of galganda is caused due to the aggravated vata dosha. The swelling is blackish in colour and slightly painful. Patient also feels dryness and tastelessness in the mouth.
- Kaphaja Galganda- This type of galganda is mainly caused due to the aggravation of the kapha dosha in the body. The swelling is large in size, cold to touch. Patient feels less pain and experiences sweetness in the mouth.
- Medoj Galganda- This is caused due to disturbed meda dhatu. The swelling area is white in colour and has offensive odour. Patient experiences oilyness in the mouth.
It is believed that it deactivates the thyroid gland and ultimately slows down the metabolism of the body.
Ayurvedic formulations useful in goitre are:
- Kanchanar Guggulu
- Aarogya Vardhini Vati
- Trikatu Churna
- Trikatu Tablet
Panchkarma therapies that can be done in this condition are:
- Parisheka- This is done to reduce swelling over the body
- Sarvanga Abhyanga
- Patra Pinda Sweda
- Basti, both Niruha and Matra. Ksheer basti, Eranda Mooladi Basti are generally done.
- Netra Basti to reduce the inflammation over the eyes
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Prepare your food using iodised salt.
- Include milk in your diet.
- Avoid coffee, alcoholic drinks and soda.
- Onions, oats, egg yolks and citrus fruits help in reducing the swelling of the neck.
- Avoid eating heavy and sour food stuffs.
- Do regular excercises of the neck and yoga.
- Have easily digestible foods.
- Consume iron rich food and food containing vitamin A & B.
- Avoid leading a sedentary lifestyle and taking mental stress as this can disturb the thyroid gland functioning.
- Take two tablespoons crushed flaxseeds and add little water to it. Mix well and prepare its paste. Apply this on the throat and then wash off after 20 minutes. Dry with a clean piece of cloth.
- Crush a handful of sorrel seeds and add two tablespoons olive oil. Mix well and apply this paste on the swelling. Wash off after 15 minutes.
- Take a handful of dandelion leaves. Crush them to prepare a paste and add two teaspoon clarified butter and mix well. Heat the mixture till it turns lukewarm. Now apply this paste on the affected area and leave for 15 minutes.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.