Menorrhagia is defined as the heavy or long menstrual periods. It is found that excessive bleeding takes place due to hormonal imbalance in the body of the patient. Menorrhagia is a cause of concern as heavy bleeding can cause iron deficiency that can ultimately lead to anemia.
Menorrhagia is caused due to following reasons:
- Use of certain forms of contraception like intrauterine devices.
- Due to certain disorders where in the tissue present in the lining of the uterus gets implanted outside.
- Due to the presence of uterine fibroids.
- Due to abnormal growth of the uterus or any other organ.
- In case of adenomyosis where glands from the endometrium become implanted in the uterine muscle.
- Due to thyroid.
- Use of certain medications such as anticoagulants and anti-inflammatory that causes hormonal imbalances.
- Increased flow of the blood
- Pain in the calf muscles
- Pain in the back, abdomen and hips
- Weakness in the body
- Excessive hair growth
- Gain in the body weight
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, menorrhagia is compared with Rakta Pradar or Asrigdara. Ayurveda believes that menorrhagia is caused due to the aggravation of the pitta dosha along with the vata dosha. Adhik upvasa, Vyayama, vyavaya; intake of excessive katu, amla, Lavana, vidahi ahara; kulatha, masha, lashuna, matsya, madya and Kshara dravya leads to the aggravation of the pitta dosha.
Four types of Asirgdara have been described in ayurveda:
- Vataja Asrigdara – There is pain and frothy bleeding similar to the flower of Palasha.
- Pittaja Asrigdara – There is blackish red coloured bleeding associated with warmth and fever.
- Kaphaja Asrigdara – There is stable and thick bleeding.
- Sannipataja Asrigdara – It is associated with the symptoms of all the three doshas and is associated with syncope and fever.
Line of treatment adopted in Asrigdara is Stambhana Chikitsa and sheetala Chikitsa.
Single herbs that are beneficial in Asrigdara are:
Ayurvedic formulations recommended in this case are:
- Mukta Pishti
- Prawal Pishti
- Pushyanuga Churna
- Chandraprabha Vati
- Pradarantak Loha Bhasma
- Chandrakala Rasa
- Darvyadi Kwath
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Avoid hot, pungent and spicy food, tea and coffee as it further increases the flow of blood.
- Include old rice, wheat, moong dal, milk and ghee in your food.
- Include sugarcane juice, bananas, grapes and pomegranate in your diet.
- Take physical and mental rest properly
- Drink more water to remove the harmful substances from the body.
- Include milk in your diet. The milk should be boiled with ginger powder, fennel seeds powder, cardamom powder and black pepper powder to make milk easy digestible.
- Avoid eating fried, baked and processed food stuffs.
- Avoid excessive worries and anger.
- Avoid doing heavy exercise.
- Avoid excessive fasting
- Avoid excessive sexual intercourse.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sun, vehicle riding and long journey.
- Take raisins regularly in your diet.
- Practice yoga and meditation.
- Prepare the fine powder of Nagakeshar and usheera. Take 3-5 grams of this powder along with butter and sugar candy. This is helpful in subsiding every kind of menorrhagia.
- Crush the parts of touch me not plant and prepare its paste. Take it along with the rice washed water or fresh juice of doorva.
- Take tender leaves of pomegranate and 7-8 grains of rice. Mix both of them to prepare the paste and give to the patient atleast two times a day.
- Prepare the powdered preparation of Ashoka and Lodhra. Take one teaspoon of this powder atleast twice a day in case of menorrhagia.
- Prepare the juice of marigold flowers. Take 1-3 tablespoons of this juice to stop the bleeding.
- Take some grass and wash it thoroughly. Crush to extract its juice and consume 1-2 tablespoons of this twice a day to control the bleeding.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.