Tinnitus is referred to as the perception of sound in one or both the ears in the absence of any external sound. It is generally referred to as ringing in the ears, although few people also hear hissing, roaring, whistling, chirping or clicking sound. The ringing cold be intermittent or constant with single or multiple tones and the volume perceived can also range from subtle to shattering.
The most common cause of tinnitus is cochlear damage associated with noise related hearing loss. Tiny delicate hairs present in the inner ear move in relation to the pressure of the sound waves. When these hair vibrate as a result of a sound or noise, they trigger an electrical signal through the auditory nerve to the brain, causing tinnitus.
People with high vata dosha imbalance and vata body type are prone to develop this condition. People suffering from tinnitus may also experience concentration problems, sleeping problems, irritation and annoyance, hypersensitivity to sounds or increased sensitivity in silence. Chronicity of this problem can also lead to despair, frustration and depression in some cases.
- Sleeplessness or lack of sleep
- Continous talking
- Presence of foreign material or wax in the ears
- Excessive fasting
- Excessive physical excercises
- Sudden shock or fear or grief
- Intake of excessive bitter substances in your diet
- Due to the intake of heavy or difficult to digest food
- Due to cochlear damage associated with noise related hearing loss or any other ear problem
- Any chronic health condition like diabetes mellitus, high or low blood pressure
- Head or neck Injury
- Due to excessive intake of certain medications such as antibiotics, sedatives, anti depressants, aspirin etc.
- Any condition that affects the nerves in the ear or the hearing centre in the brain.
- Ringing sensation in the ears or sensation of other types of sounds
- Loss of memory
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, tinnitus is caused due to prana vayu disturbance. It is compared with karnakshwed and karnanaad. As per ancient texts, it is believed that when vata dosha gets covered with other doshas, takes faulty passage and gets located in sound carrying channels, then the person perceives various types of sound known as tinnitus.
Panchakarma therapies that can be done in this case are:-
- Sarvanga Abhyanga
Single herbs that are beneficial in this case are:-
Ayurvedic formulations beneficial in this case are:-
- Sarivadi Vati
- Bilwa taila
- Saptamrita loha
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Shadbindu taila
- Anu tailam
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Eat pineapples regularly.
- Eat 7-8 almonds every day followed with one glass of warm milk.
- Avoid hearing to loud music, noise and with earphones.
- Keep the windows closed while travelling in a bus.
- Follow relaxation techniques such as deep breathing.
- Avoid intake of caffeinated substances.
- Avoid smoking and consumption alcohol.
- Have sufficient rest.
- Avoid sweet, sour and bitter tasting foods.
- Include spices such as cinnamon, ginger, cumin, cloves and cardamom.
- Avoid excess television watching, excess use of computers, sleeping near an electrical outlet.
- Do not stop natural urges.
- Take a handful of basil leaves. Crush them to prepare the paste and press this paste on the sieve. Extract the juice and heat till it gets lukewarm. Put two drops in the affected area and repeat this atleast two times a day.
- Slice and cut one onion to prepare its paste. Press this paste on the sieve to extract the juice. Pour two drops of this juice in the affected area.
- Take ginger powder, honey and rock salt. Mix all to prepare the fine paste. Boil this in sesame oil till all the moisture evaporates. Cool and strain the oil. With the help of a cotton bud apply this on the inside surface of the ear.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.