- If you are suffering from heat stroke, constipation, sexual insufficiency or tumor then gond katira is what you only need.
- For consuming this, there is an option of healthy and delicious drink, called gond katira sherbet.
- Gond katira or tragacanth gum is a kind of shrub mostly found in Iraq, Iran, and Western Asia.
- The gond katira gum originates naturally from the roots and stems. This gum is then collected and dried.
- It is a boost for summer season.
- It provides relief to the body from heat.
- This healthy mixture of rooh afza and gond katira have more benefits.
- This is not just a sherbet or a soothing drink. It is more than that.
- It won’t be wrong, if it is known as a health drink.
How to Prepare This Delicious, Mouthwatering and Healthy Drink?
Basic ingredients in this drink are gond katira and Rooh Afza.
- Fluffed gond katira –two tablespoonfuls
- Chilled Water/ Milk – two cups
- Rooh Afza- Two to three tablespoons
- Sugar- one tablespoonfuls
- chopped dry fruits
First, how to prepare fluffy gond katira?
- For making fluffy gond katira, cover and allow to soak two pieces of gond katira in water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
- In the morning you will see the gond katira increases in volume, blooms and become jelly like.
- After soaking, if it becomes too tightened up then you can add some more water.
- Strain the extra water from the soaked edible gum in a strainer and keep aside
- You can also refrigerate the soaked gond katira and used as required.
- For one serving
METHOD OF PREPARION-
- If there are impurities then rinse with water in strainer to get rid of them.
- Rinse and then add 2 teaspoons gond katira in a Large bowl.
- Remember that just a few teaspoons of gond katira when soaked in water will give a bowl full of jelly like gond.
- Then add 2 cups chilled milk/water.
- If the size of the edible gums is large, then break them in a mortar-pestle to get smaller sizes.
- In a serving glass, take 3 to 4 tablespoons of soaked gond.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoon of rooh afza.
- You can also add water instead of milk or half-half of both. You can even use almond milk instead.
- Add some ice cubes.
- Serve gond katira sherbet immediately.
- If you want more healthy sherbet you can add some chopped dry fruits.
- Almond milk can be used as a dairy free alternative.
Recipe can be doubled
Instead of rooh afza you can use –
- Rose syrup
- Khus syrup
- Sandalwood syrup
- Lemon squash
- Any fruit based syrup or squash.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Take this refreshing sherbet once in the early morning to keep you cool and hydrated.
- Do not drink excess amount of gond katira sherbet.
- As excess amount of this sherbet can cause constipation, heart burn, gas formation, diarrhea and tooth erosion.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.