Its wild trees are found in the Himalayan valleys.Pod of wild trees and cultivated trees are sweet and good for cooking. Based on the flower typs, Ayurved writers have identified its two main types- white and red. White variety is bitter and red variety is sweet in taste.The bitter variety is found all over but the sweet variety is found rarely.
Trees are small or medium sized. Its bark and wood soft. When the tree is laden with pod, the branches break off from the tree due to weight. Leaves grow in groups together. Leaf stalk is 1-2 inch long on which 5-8 pairs of leaves grow. Each leaf is ¼ to 2/3 inch long, oval shaped and grows opposite to each other . Flowers are bluish and grow in white coloured bunches. Pod is 5-17 inch long with prominent strips and are brown in colour. Seeds are triangularand bitter.
Paste of its bark and leaves causes burning sensation, cures oedema and swelling and is anti inflammatory. Nasya of its seed powder cures headache. Seed oil is used to relievepain and cures swelling and oedema. It excites nervous system. In internal use, it is purgative, promotes digestive function, and has binding properties. It is analgesic and is anthelmiintic. Sweet drumstick is unctuous and sweet. Being warm, it stimulates the heart, is a blood purifier and cures cough. Because of its bitterness and warmness, it stimulates liver.
Mix equal quantities of juice of its root and jiggery and give nasya of 1 drops of this mixture. It is beneficial in headache.
- Grind its leaves and tie the cake of the paste on the eyes. It cures conjunctivitis.
- Mix 40 gm juice of its leaves in 1 teaspoonful honey and apply this in the eyes as eyeliner. It cures corneal opacity and other eye disorders.
- In case of swelling of eye due to vata, pitta, kapha disorders and mental aberration, mix equal quantities of the juice of its leaves and honey and put 1 drops of each in the eyes. It cures eye pain and swelling.
In case of epilepsy and hysteria in women, give 15-20 gm decoction of its root, every morning and evening.
Mix equal quantities of juice of its root with juice of ginger and give 11-15 gm of this every morning and evening to the patient. It cures bronchial asthma.
- Grind equal quantities of its root, mustard and ginger and prepare tablets of 1 gm each. Give 1 tablet every morning and evening. It cures spleen and weakened state of digestive power.
- To cure the boils in mouth and throat, boil its 1 teaspoonful root in 300 ml water until water is reduced to ¼. Give this to the patient for gargles.
Mix 1 gm ginger root in 9 gm juice of its root and give this to the patient every morning and evening. It enhances the digestion power.
FLATULENCE / STOMACH ACHE:-
Mix 100 gm of its bark with 4 gm asafetida and 15 gm shunthi and grind them in water. Prepare tablets of 1 gm each. Give 1 tablet, 2-4 times a day. It cures swelling if the stomach caused by indigestion or accumulation of wind and stomach pain.
Prepare hot or cold infusion of its 40 gm root in 150 ml water and give this to the patient in small amounts. It causes excess urination and cures swelling.
Grind its bark in water and give 9 gm of this solution to the patient. It cures all types of swelling. Its bark is also known as Indian penicillin.
In case of pneumonia, muscular pain or stomach pain, apply the paste of its bark externally. It cures swelling and relieves pain. Its paste is beneficial in internal as well as in external swelling and pain.
Massage the affected area with its seed oil. It is beneficial in curing gout and joint pains.
Boil its 7-9 flowers in 200 ml milk and give this to the patient every morning and evening. It improves potency.
Mix and grind equal quantities of its leaves, ginger, turmeric, salt and black pepper and apply it on the swollen area.