Benefits, Medicinal Usage and Properties
Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) plants are found all over India. It has two varieties shatavari (small flower) asparagus racehorses and mahashatavari asparagus sarmentosus, for is described here as it has more medicinal value.
It has thorny, bushy and climbing vine. Thorns are1/4 to ½ inch long or slighty curved. The leaves are in groups of 3-7, in the shape of sickle and bent downwards. The flower bunches are 2-3 inch long, single or in bunches with single or branched stem.
Regarding its properties, ayurveda practitioners and experts have different opinions, which are listed below:
- According to bhaea prakash it is heavy, cool and bitter and nutritive. It enhances intelligence, promotes digestion, pacifies vata and pitta disorders and cures reduced semen production.
- According to acharya sushrat asparagus is beneficial in dryness and promotes physical strength. It beneficial in dryness and promotes physical strength. It purifies semen, enhances intelligence, and promotes digestive fire.
- According to dhanvantari nighantu, shatavari can cure even a very weak person. It promotes physical strength in the patient and enables the patient to fight the diseases. In enhances the immune system. It suppresses vata pitta, produces semen, is cool, and sweet.
MEDICINAL USAGE & BENEFITS
Prepare its kheer and add ghee in it. Give this to the patient.
Cook its leaves in ghee and give this to the patient. It cures night blindness.
Extract juice from its fresh root and mix equal amount of sesame oil in it and boil the solution. Massage the head with this oil. It cures headache and migraine.
HOARSNESS OF VOICE:-
Give asparagus, bala and sugar mixed with honey to the patient it cures hoarseness of voice.
Mix 1 mix peepal powder in asparagus decoction and give this to the patient thrice a day.
Boil 10gm asparagus, 10gm leaves of adusa and 10gm sugar in 150ml water give this to the patient thrice a day in cures dry cough.
BRONCHIAL ASTHMA, FAINTNESS:-
Take 1 part of its paste, 1 part gbee, and 4 parts milk.boil them together to form gbee. Give this to the patient as much as required it cures acidity, excessive bleeding vata and pitta disorders, bronchial asthma and unconsciousness.
Give its 20 gm powder with milk to the lactating mother. It increases the amount of milk production or grind it with cow milk and give this to the lactating woman. It makes the milk tasty, sweet and nutritive.
DIARRHEA WITH BLEEDING:-
Grind wet asparagus with milk. Strain the milk and give this to the patient 4-6 times a day.
Cook it and eat or cook its powder in milk and eat. It enhances the potency.
TO IMPROVE PHYSICAL VIGOUR:-
Split the wet asparagus and take out the straw inside.
URINARY DISORDERS: –
Prepare squash of asparagus and gokhru and give this to the patient. It cures all types of urinary disorders.
Give asparagus ghee to the patient. It cures the weakness of body.
SEMEN FORMATION: –
Give 6-12 gm asparagus ghee to the patient, regularly. It enhances semen production.
- Mix honey and sugar in decoction of its root and give this to the patient. It cures dysuria.
- Take 30 gm whole plant of gokhru and equal amount of asparagus and boil them ½ liter water. Strain the solution and add 15 gm sugar candy and 3 teaspoonful honey in it. Give this to the patient in little amounts. It cures the burning sensation during urination and clears obstruction in urination. Or give milk decoction of gokhru and asparagus every morning and evening to the patient. It cures dysuria.
Mix 30 gm of its juice in equivalent amount of cow milk and give this to the patient. It cures even old stones in body.
Mix 30 gm of its juice in 90 ml milk and give this to the patient. It cures burning sensation completely.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.