Anxiety disorder is a psychological and physiological state categorized by somatic, emotional, cognitive and behavioral components. Occasionally, it is a normal part of life.
One might feel anxious:
- When face a problem at work
- Before taking a rest
- Before making an important decision
The feeling of anxiety does not go away easily and can get worse over time. It can interfere with daily activities such as job performance, school work and relationships.
Following people are at an increased risk of developing anxiety:
- Shyness in childhood
- Being female
- Having few economic resources
- Being divorced or widow
- Exposure to stressful life events in childhood and adulthood
Anxiety increases in the following conditions:
- Persistent stress
- Serious illness
- Abnormalities in pituitary gland that control stress
- Chronic health condition
- Childhood trauma
- Women have twice the risk than men
- More prevalent in children
- Pre-existing emotional disorder
- Separation from parents at the early stage
TYPES AND SYMPTOMS
There are several types of anxiety disorders:
1. Generalized Anxiety Disorder – People with generalized anxiety disorder show following symptoms:
- Poor concentration
- Muscular pain
- Sleep problems
2. Panic Disorder – Panic disorder symptoms include:
- Repeated and sudden attacks of intense fear
- Accelerated heart rate
- Trembling or shaking
- Sensations of shortness of breath
3. Social Anxiety Disorder – its symptoms include:
- Feeling highly anxious about being with other people and having a hard time talking to them
- Being afraid that other people will judge them
- Worrying for days or weeks before an event
- Staying away from places where there are other people
- Having a hard time in making and keeping friends
- Blushing, sweating or trembling around other people
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, anxiety is caused due to imbalance of Vata dosha in the human body. When Vata dosha gets imbalanced, it gets accumulated in the nervous system and the person experiences increased anxiety in the form of insomnia, a restless mind, nervousness, panic and fearful thoughts.
The reason behind the anxiety disorder is Pragya Apradh. Pragya apradh is defined as the unhealthy adaptation of physical and mental things that leads to the mental imbalance. The improper diet and lifestyle leads to the disturbed state of mind and causes negative feelings to overwhelm the mind. This causes the obstruction of Manovaha Srotas which leads to the imbalance of Vata dosha and hence causes the anxiety disorder.
The following Ayurvedic formulations are used in anxiety disorder:
- Ahwagandha Churna
- Vacha Churna
- Jatamnasi Churna
- Brahmi Ghrit
- Puran Ghrit
- Smriti Sagar Rasa
- Brahma Rasayana
- Manas Mitra Gutika
Following single herbs are found to be useful in anxiety disorder:
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Eat a well balanced and healthy diet.
- Do not overeat.
- Do yoga exercises including Pranayam and meditation.
- Get enough sleep. Getting enough sleep is essential for emotional health and falling asleep during the Kapha time of night generates a deep, restful sleep that truly refreshes mind and body.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Take breaks from work. Make sure to balance fun activities with the responsibilities.
- Wake up with the rising sun. Sleeping during the daytime causes the srotas or channels of communication to be clogged with impurities leading to dullness of mind, depressed moods and slow communication between heart and mind.
- Instill basil leaves juice in the nostrils to soothe brain.
- Use of shankhpushpi or petha or Brahmi into the nose show good results.
- Ashwagandha is found very effective in handling the stress.
- Orange juice along with honey is used for the stress disorder as well as lessens the heart rate.
- Soak 8-10 almonds in water overnight. Peel off the skin and crush them in the morning. Add one teaspoon of crushed almonds to one cup warm milk. Add a pinch of soaked saffron and a tablespoon honey. Mix well and drink once every day.
- Take a glass of orange juice. Add one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of nutmeg powder. Drink this juice daily.
- Include a pinch of ginger, cinnamon and cardamom in warm milk. This is a nutritious way to soothe the nerves and will promote sound sleep.