Schizophrenia is defined as a severe mental disorder that affects the way a person thinks, acts, expresses emotions, perceives reality, and relates to others. Though schizophrenia isn’t as common as other major mental illnesses, it can be the most chronic and disabling that affects approximately 1 percent of all the adults globally.
Schizophrenia affects approximately 0.3–0.7% of people at some point in their lives. It is diagnosed 1.4 times more frequently in males than in females. The average peak ages of onset are 20–28 years for males and 26–32 years for females.
What are the Causes of Schizophrenia?
Experts believe that several factors are generally involved in contributing to the onset of schizophrenia. It was noticed that genetic and environmental factors act together to bring about schizophrenia.
Below are some factors that are thought to contribute to the onset of schizophrenia:
- Genetic Inheritance
- Social factors
- Alcohol and other drugs use
- Family relationships
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Schizophrenia?
Most of the common signs & symptoms include:
- Social withdrawal
- Paranoid feelings or feelings of persecution
- Loss of appetite or neglecting to eat
- Inability to process information and make decisions
- Difficulty in focusing
- Inability to learn new tasks.
What are the Types of Schizophrenia?
There are five types of schizophrenia. They are categorized by the types of symptoms the person exhibits when they are assessed:
- Paranoid schizophrenia
- Disorganized schizophrenia
- Catatonic schizophrenia
- Undifferentiated schizophrenia
- Residual schizophrenia
What is the Ayurvedic view of Schizophrenia?
In Ayurveda, schizophrenia is correlated with ‘Unmaad’. In this mainly Vata Dosha is aggravated which indirectly affects Heart, that intellect of a person having less of Satva guna (intellect), and while being located in the Manovaha Srotas (Channels carrying Psychic impulses), they afflict the mind. The causative factors of Unmaad are generally intake of virudh ahara (dushta foods and drinks), affliction of mind due to any fear, unwholesome physical and mental activities, etc. Due to excess vitiation of dosha, this further leads to Satva pariplava (fickleness of mind), haridhya shunya (a sensation of vacuum in the heart), Abaddha vaktavam (irrelevant speech), etc.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment of Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is among the most severe mental disorders that affect the mind as well as the body also. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides the best panchakarma therapy to relieve the symptoms of schizophrenia and also provide relaxation to the mind. The therapies are done by expert therapist under the guidance of an expert Doctors. The therapies are –
- Shiro Abhyanga – In this therapy, gently massage is done by medicated oil for about half an hour, which results in relaxation of mind.
- Shiro Dhara – Shiro dhara is a continuous pouring of medicated oil for about 35 to 40 minutes, which gives a calm effect to the patient and provides peaceful relaxation of the mind.
- Sarvang Abhyanga – This therapy gives proper relaxation to the whole body, this massage is done by gently hands with the medicated oil for about 20-25 minutes, which gives relieve in lethargy, dizziness, slowdowns the mood swings and calms the body naturally.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Schizophrenia?
In Ayurveda, there are many herbal medicines which are proven to be very effective in the management of many mental problems. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre made a specialized kit that is made up of pure herbal medicines. The name of the kit is ‘Schizophrenia Go Kit’, that includes a total of 5 products named as-Brodley syrup, Brahmi capsules, Detox Premium Powder, Madnanand modak, Manasamrita gulika.
All Product Description in detail:
1. Detox Premium Powder
This is the powder that contains special bhasmas which remove all the toxins from the body naturally. The powder is consisting of ingredients such as shankh bhasma, akik pishti, parwal pishti, Jahar mohra, Giloy satv, Moti pishti, etc. This medicine relieves confusion, anxiety, and provides the mind free from toxins.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Brahmi Capsules
Brahmi is a very effective herb that provide strength to the brain and cures all the mental problems. It increases certain brain chemicals that are involved in thinking, learning, and memory and also boosts longevity and improves mental function.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 capsule twice daily with normal water.
3. Brodley Syrup
Brodley syrup is the best anti-depressant herbal remedy that relieves from any kind of anxiety, depression, hallucinations. The herbal syrup contains Yashti madhu, Dhania, Jatamasi, Ashwagandha, etc. This syrup helps to prevent cognitive impairment and age-related dementia and is very beneficial to improve learning skills, memory retention, and motor functions.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
4. Manasmarita Gutika
his is the best medicine that is very beneficial to overcome the stress, anxiety, psychosomatic diseases etc. Each tablet is consisting of ingredients like Shankhpushpi, Nagabala, Parwal pishti, Bilva, etc. The tablet relieves mental fatigue, improves concentration, imparts good sleep, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 tablets twice daily with milk or normal water.
5. Madnanand Modak
Madnanand modak is herbo-mineral ayurvedic formulation that is very beneficial to improve the disability of the brain. The churna is consisting of ingredients like Amla, Kala jeera, Haldi, Elaichi, Bala, Shatavari, Tejpatra, etc. It balances Vata dosha and increases the immunity of an individual.
Recommended Dosage – Take ½ teaspoonfuls twice daily with milk or normal water.
Healthy Tips and Lifestyles
Other than medicines, you also have to change your lifestyle and eating habits that additionally manage schizophrenia quickly and naturally. Here we described some measure which must be followed by the patient of schizophrenia –
- Eat fibers rich fruits such as apples, pears, raspberries, etc that contains healthy vitamins, minerals which give proper nourishment to the brain.
- Eat low-fat calories vegetables, packed with fibers and contain important vitamins, potassium that may help your blood sugar in check such as kidney beans, sweet potatoes, beans.
- A patient who feels continuous pressured and/or repeatedly criticized by others may experience stress that can lead to a worsening of symptoms.
- Relaxation techniques such as meditation and deep breathing can help to reduce the state of anxiety and stress. Yoga helps in soothes the fight-or-flight-response (aggressive response from the body) and stimulates a relaxation response, which calms down the mind and brings the body back into a state of balance.
- Pranayama, a science of breath, awakens the internal energy of the body. An increase in energy levels help to refresh and rejuvenate the body. Thus, yoga is an amazing way to de-stress and calms the body and mind naturally.
- People with mental health conditions, such as schizophrenia, often suffer from too little sleep or interrupted sleep, or they get too much sleep. Get an adequate amount of sleep for mind relaxation.
- Apply some of the yoga poses that are very beneficial to relieve all the symptoms of this condition, the most effective poses are Sarvangasana, Halasana, dandayamana, janu shirshasana.
- Strictly avoid alcohol, cigarette, caffeine products, oily, spicy food before going to bed.
- Many antipsychotic drugs can slow the metabolism and cause weight gain, which puts your loved one at risk of obesity-related health conditions. A nutritious diet and regular exercise can help to prevent diabetes and heart conditions and even improve mood.