Anxiety is a type of mental illness that can stop a person from leading a normal life. It is usually a normal emotion of getting nervous about something and occurs when a person regularly feels disproportionate levels of distress, worry or fear over an emotional trigger. Anxiety is often an emotion of serious nervousness and fear which are constant and this can be disabling. For example, the fear that sets in before a stage performance or taking an exam.
It is also often termed as extreme apprehension or worry to a stressful situation. In today’s world Anxiety, stress and worry is a normal a part of life and simply having some anxiety attacks or panic attacks. It mainly occurs due to a personal relationship, job, school or financial predicament that can contribute greatly to anxiety disorders.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Anxiety?
Usually, who suffer from persistent anxiety еxpеriеncеs a range of signs & symptoms mentioned below:
Unnecessary worrying about health, money, family, work, or school performance—еvеn when there are no signs of trouble
- Irrational еxpеctations and worse outcome in many situations
- Inability to relax
- Muscle tension
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Trembling or twitching
- Frequent urination.
What are the Causes of Anxiety?
- Early life events which set fear in the person
- Traumatic experiences
- Genetic structure of the brain
- Environmental factors
- Medical factors
- Underlying health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disorders, etc.
How many Types of Anxiety are there?
According to modern point of view anxiety is divided into three categories:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: People who had traumatic experiences in the past are more vulnerable to anxiety disorders. Their anxiety gets triggered on any events which may be identical to the ones that resulted in the traumatic event. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is the anxiety caused by re-experiencing of ordeal like childhood trauma, military combat, natural and unnatural disasters.
- Obsessive- Compulsive Disorder: People suffering from this kind of anxiety are stuck in repetitive unconscious thoughts and behavior. If left untreated these could result in disabling a person’s capacity to work at any place. An example of OCD: – obsessively cleaning a house, checking the lock repeatedly, etc.
- Panic Disorder: This anxiety is identified to be accompanied by breathlessness, chest pain, and heart palpitations accompanied by fear. People suffering from this anxiety will have a severe phobia of certain things.
What is an Ayurvedic View of Anxiety?
According to Ayurveda, our mind is regulated by three energies – Satva, Rajah, and Tamas. Out of these, Satva is pure and positive energy which never becomes a cause of any disease. But the imbalance in the Rajah and Tamas creates a condition called ‘Altered nervous function’ which can lead to many health issues. Anxiety is termed as ‘Udweg’ in Ayurveda, and it is also caused by aggravated Rajah and Tamas dosha.
What is an Ayurvedic Treatment of Anxiety?
The strength of Ayurvedic treatment is to remove the root cause of stress, anxiety, depression and other mental problems, and correcting the essential balance of mind, body, and emotions. The herbal remedies help to attain a strong, rejuvenated and healthy mind and body naturally without any side effects.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre facilitates you the best way to cure the condition of anxiety by using the ‘’Stress Go Kit’’. The kit contains pure herbs which boost up your immunity and helps in reducing all the mental problems. This kit contains four products – Manasamrita Gulika, Brahmi Capsule, Brodley Syrup, and Saraswatharishtam.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1. Manasamrita Gulika
Manasamrita Gulika is a safer option for the treatment of mental disorders as compared to conventional allopathic drugs. The tablet contains ingredients such as– Bala (Sida cordifolia), Nagabala (Grewia populifolia), Pravala pishti (Coral calcium), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Chandana (Santalum album), Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), etc. This tablet balances all three doshas. It is mainly used for the treatment of psychiatric conditions, speech problems, to improve the intelligence and also beneficial in sleep disturbances, panic attacks, phobia, nervous shivering.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
2. Brahmi Capsule
It contains a pure extract of the herb Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). Brahmi helps to promote mental fitness, improves brain and nervous system, and promotes good memory and alertness. It relaxes the central nervous system, treat brain disorders, and provide mental relaxation. The capsules sharpen the brain by protecting cells and increasing the chemicals associated with learning and memory.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
3. Brodley Syrup
The health benefits of Brodley syrup include the prevention of mental disorders. This syrup contains ingredients such as– Shankh pushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Yashti madhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), etc. It is used as a brain tonic which helps to lower the risk of memory loss, dysfunction of the immune system, restlessness, loss of desire to eat, etc.
Recommended Dosage–Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day.
Saraswatharishtam is an excellent tonic for Memory and Immunity booster. It is the most common ayurvedic medicine used for the treatment of neurological and psychological disorders. Ingredients include – Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), etc. These ingredients mainly balance the Vata Dosha. It can be used to reduce stress, mental fatigue, increases memory, boosts mental capabilities, intelligence, alleviates stress, and produces calmness in the mind, to boost the retention power and improves the quality of sleep.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment of Anxiety?
According to Ayurveda, anxiety is caused by imbalance of Vata dosha in the Nervous system; therefore ayurvedic approach towards anxiety is to balance the aggravated dosha. Ayurveda approaches anxiety and fear by using calming methods and balancing dietary requirements. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides the best Panchakarma therapies which relieve the condition of anxiety and other mental condition in a natural way with proven results. The therapies for anxiety patient are –
- Abhyangam:Abhyangam is a procedure in which full body massage is done with medicated lukewarm oil. This therapy increases blood circulation to remove all the metabolic wastes and toxins from the body. It stimulates the vital pressure points, which leads to nervous stimulation and reduces stress and anxiety. The prescribed time for massage is approximately 45-50 minutes in seven different positions. Abhyangam balances the aggravated Doshas and helps in the maintenance of mental, emotional, and physical disorders.
- Padabhyangam:This Ayurvedic massage includes the stimulation of nerve endings and vital pressure points present in the foot to balance the Doshas. This also promotes mental calmness, rеliеvеs stress and anxiety.
- Nasyam:Nasyam is a part of Panchakarma therapy which involves the administration of medicated oils or drugs through nostrils. This treatment stimulates the vital centers of the brain to overcome problems such as stress, anxiety, and insomnia.
The procedures of nasyam start with a facial massage or steam application to the face, forehead, ears, and neck. After that, a therapist instills herbal oils, juices, or powders through the nasal route, which then spreads through venous (blood circulation) and nervous system into the areas present around the nostrils. Then the patient is given lukewarm warm water to gargle and medicated smoke for inhalation.
- Pizhichil:Pizhichil treatment involves the squееzing of warm medicated oils over the body which helps the system to retune itself thereby inducing both physical and mental relaxation. Pizhichil starts with a gentle and synchronized massage on all parts of the body excluding the head. A cloth dipped in lukewarm herbal oil is squееzеd on the body of the patient followed by oil rubbing over the body. The dipping of cloth in medicated herbal oil is rеpеatеd periodically, and the entire procedure takes about 1 hour.
- Shirodhara – A continuous pouring of medicated liquid (milk, buttermilk,), (dashmoola kwath, chandanadi oil), over the forehead daily for about 30-45 minutes.
Healthy Tips and Diet for Anxiety patients
- Avoid sugar, caffeine, cold/raw or frozen foods.
- Eggs are excellent source of protein and tryptophan that helps to regulate mood, sleep, memory, and behavior.
- Inflammation may be partly responsible for the anxiety, stress and depression, thus the intake of turmeric; cow milk may help in reducing the inflammation.
- Proteins source such as lean meat, fish, nuts provide amino acids, in which the body converts into mood-lifting neurotransmitters such as serotonin.
- Spinach and Swiss chard both have a high amount of magnesium which is beneficial in reducing anxiety conditions.
- Regular intake of almonds is an excellent source of vitamin E. Vitamin E deficiency has been linked to mood disorders.
- Regular practicing of Pranayama gives effective result in the reduction of the anxiety. Pranayama like, anulom vilom, ujjayi, bhramari are beneficial in the condition of Anxiety.
- Shavasana, Tadasana, Matsyasana, Mandukasana, Bhujangasana helps in deep relaxation of the mind which ultimately reduces the anxiety.