Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a very common female health condition. It is a complex manifestation involving many factors and reproductive organs. In PCOS there is increased production of androgen by the ovaries, which suppresses the maturation of ovarian follicles. As a result, the ovum does not get easily formed and released. The incidence varies between 0.5- 4 % and is more common in infertile women. It is seen in young reproductive period.
CAUSES OF PCOS
- Consumption of too much sugar or carbonized drinks and highly refined carbohydrates which causes unhealthy rise in insulin levels. Increased insulin level stimulates the production of androgen, causing PCOS symptoms.
- Modern stressful lifestyle
- High level of male hormone testosterone
- Imbalance of Luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone
SYMPTOMS OF PCOS
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Obesity or unexplained weight gain
- Abnormal growth of hair at different places of the body
- A dark coloured band like skin lesion develop at the back of the neck, inner thighs and axilla called Acanthosis nigrans.
- Hyper insulinemia
- Changing mood
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR PCOS ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
As per Ayurveda, PCOS is compared with Granthibhuta Artava Dushti. According to Ayurveda, all the three doshas are responsible for causing PCOS. Deranged vata and pitta dosha along with the kapha dosha vitiates the mamsa, shonita and meda dhatu and lead to the production of the inflammatory swelling known as Granthi. This Granthi is known as cyst containing liquid or semi-solid material.
Line of treatment in Ayurveda is based on the following principles:
- Correcting agnimandya at jatharagni and dhatwagni level using deepana and pachana Chikitsa.
- Removing avarodha from the srotas using purificatory therapies
- Regularizing the apana vayu
- Using the principle of nidan parivarjana by avoiding vata and kapha promoting ahara and vihara.
Following Panchkarma therapies provide strength to the reproductive organs and maintains the hormonal balance:
- Vasti to regulate the vata dosha which improves the quality of ovum in females and helps in improving the flow of artava in females
- Virechana to eliminate the toxins or vitiated pitta from the intestines
- Vamana to balance the hormonal system and to remove kapha dosha from the body.
Single herbs beneficial in the case of PCOS are:
- Aloe Vera
Ayurvedic formulations useful in PCOS are:
- Chitrakadi Vati
- Varunadi Kwatha
- Aarogyavardhini Vati
- Triphala Guggulu
- Kanchnar Guggulu
- Punarnava Mandoor
- Varunadi Loha
- Navavarshika Guggulu
- Phalatrikadi Kshaya
- Navayasa Loha
- Panchakola Churna
- Ashwagandha Churna
- Shatavari Churna
- Triphala Churna
- Trikatu Churna
- Aloe Vera Juice
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Take compatible food stuffs.
- Have your meals at proper timings
- Do regular physical excercises
- Enjoy healthy lifestyle
- Practice yogasanas like shavasana, Sarvangasana, matasyasana. Yoga helps tone up the whole reproductive system.
- Practice pranayam and do meditation.
- Avoid all sugary foods and artificial sweetners.
- Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Take in protein rich foods such as fresh fish, organic chicken, eggs, whole grains and legumes to balance the blood glucose levels.
- Limit the intake of saturated fats, trans-fats, red meat and fried foods in your diet.
- Eat fibre rich diet and make sure that you don’t suffer from constipation.
- Stay hydrated by drinking 3-4 litres of water every day.
- Avoid stress and tension. Reducing tension and stress helps in balancing the hormones.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR PCOS
- Boil 5 grams of sesame seeds in about 100 ml of water. Filter and add organic jaggery to it. Drink this two times a day on empty stomach. This is helpful in regularizing the menstrual flow.
- Soak three teaspoons of fenugreek seeds n water for 6-8 hrs. Take one teaspoon of the soaked seeds along with some honey in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Boil one cup of water in a pan and add one teaspoon of dried spearmint leaves to it. Let it simmer for five to ten minutes. Strain and drink this tea two times a day.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.