Gram flour besan is much more nutritious than wheat flour. It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. 100 grams of besan flour contains about 10 grams dietary fibre and 22 grams protein higher than usual wheat flour.
Health Benefits of Besan –
- Besan health benefits include:
- Rich in protein essential for the maintenance of tissues.
- Aids in metabolism.
- Helps manage of levels of blood glucose.
- Rich in carbohydrates.
- Rich source of B-vitamins which helps to maintain the function of the nervous system.
- Helps to maintain digestive system.
- Prevents anemia and increases production of red blood cells.
- Maintaining bones health and preventing anxiety.
- Exhibit antioxidant properties.
- Helps in the absorption of iron from the gastrointestinal tract.
Besan role in diabetes –
- Diabetes is a health condition that cannot be cured completely therefore, it is important to eat a healthy diet, engage in exercises and lead a fit lifestyle.
- Gram flour takes time in the digestion process because of its low glycemic index and it does not cause a sudden spike in the blood sugar level of the body.
- Diabetic’s people add gram flour in their everyday diet to improve the insulin sensitivity in the body.
- 1 cup besan / gram flour / kadle hittu
- ¼ tsp turmeric / haldi
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds / ajwain
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup water (or as required)
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- ½ to mato (finely chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 green chilli (finely chopped)
- 5 tsp oil (for roasting)
Method of making
- Firstly, take large mixing bowl add 1 cup besan.
- Add in ¼ tsp. turmeric, ¼ tsp. ajwain and salt to taste.
- Additionally, add ½ cup water or little more.
- Mix with the help of whisk to form a smooth batter.
- Now rest the batter for 30 minutes or more so that besan absorbs water and turn light.
- Add in ½ onion, ½ tomato, 2 tbsp. coriander leaves, 1 inch ginger and 1 green chili.
- Mix well with the help of ladle and get to a flowing consistency batter.
- Further, pour a ladleful of batter onto a hot tawa and spread gently.
- Pour a tsp. of oil over chill.
- Allow to cook on medium flame.
- Now flip the chilla and cook both sides.
- Finally fold the besan chilla and serve with green chutney.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.