Cervical Spondylitis is an inflammation of the cervical vertebra. It is the general term for age-related wear and tear affecting the spinal discs in your neck. When the space between two adjacent vertebrae gets narrows, the nerve root emerge from the spinal cord which causes Radiculopathy (sensory and motor disturbance, such as pain in the neck, shoulder, arm, back or accompanied by muscle weakness). Cervical Spondylitis usually affects the middle-aged and older people. Mainly after 50 or 60’s the discs of the cervical spine gradually break down, lose fluids and become stiffer.
What are the Causes of Cervical Spondylitis?
Possible cause of the condition includes –
- Bone spurs
- Dehydrated spinal discs
- Herniated discs
- Stiffness of Ligament
What are the Risk factors of Cervical Spondylitis?
- Aging is the major factor for developing Cervical Spondylitis
- Heavy lifting work that put a strain on your back
- Genetic factors
- Being overweight and inactive
- Holding your neck in an appropriate position for a longer time.
What are the Symptoms of Cervical Spondylitis?
- Muscle weakness or muscle spasm
- Headache, a sensation of pins and needles
- Pain in the back, shoulder, neck, legs, thighs, and buttocks that worsens with standing
- Tingling sensation occurs and weakness in your arms, hands, legs or feet
- Lack of coordination and difficulty in walking
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- The pain might increases when – sneezing, coughing, and tilting your neck backward.
What is an Ayurvedic View on Cervical Spondylitis?
In Ayurveda, Cervical Spondylitis is known as Grivasandhigatvata. It is caused by mainly the VATA DOSHA. Vata aggravation is caused by the intake of dry, excessive cool, light, stale and gas forming foods, increased gaps between the meals, having more of sour, bitter and astringent foods, late night work schedule, smoking, and a lifestyle involving overindulgence in physical, mental and sexual activities.
‘Cervical relief kit’ includes some of the natural herbs which can do direct work on the nerves and makes them strong by which you can get rid of the pain. Ingredients used in this kit are mainly balancing the vata dosha which ultimately helps in the prevention of cervical spondylitis.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL
1. Vishtinduk Vati
It is an Ayurvedic medicine that acts on nerves, senses, and muscles. The Vati contains a single ingredient purified SHUDDHA KUPILU. It stimulates sense organs, blood vessels, nerves, and muscles. It improves blood circulation and reduces laziness and fatigue. This is highly beneficial for treating muscular debility and helps to improve the muscle tone.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice a day after meal with normal water.
2. Sameer GajKeasri Tab
It includes ingredients such as –Shudh Hingula, Shudh Ahiphena , Shudh Kupilu, Maricha, Bhavana Dravya – Ardraka Swaras. These tablets are very efficient for proper regulation of Neurological System. This tablet is very useful in Cervical Stiffness.This is a powerful tablet that positively affects the nervous system in a short span of time.
Recommended Dosage–Take 1 tablet twice a day after meal with normal water.
3. Sandhilin Liniment
“Sandhilin Liniment” consists of herbal ingredients that provide good results to get relief from pain and stiffness of the joints. This includes – Maha Narayan Tail, Ajowain Satv, Terpinka Tail, Nirgundi Tail, Kapoor, etc. It gives relief from muscle or joint pain caused by strains, sprains, bruising, and backache.
Method of Application – Apply 2-4 drops of oil at the particular region and gently massage by hands.
4. Pain-O-Kill Syrup
It is an Herbal Remedy which helps to get relief from the severe pain which is associated with Cervical Spondylitis. The syrup is prepared from ingredients like Hadjod Stem, Ashwagandha Root, Shalaki Gum, Suranjan Sweet Gum, Punarnava Root, Methi Seeds, Nirgundi Leaves, and Garlic Bulb, etc. It helps in reducing the stiffness. This syrup rejuvenates the body tissues & improves the muscle tone. This syrup has a good result in reducing the inflammation.
Recommended Dosage –Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day before meal with normal water.
5. Panchsakar Churna
Panchsakar Churna is an Ayurvedic formulation that consists of five ingredients named as – Saindhav Lavana – (Rock Salt), Swarnapatri – (Cassia angustifolia), Shatapushpa – (Anethum sowa), Shunti – (Zingiber officinale), Balaharitaki – (Unripe fruits of Terminalia chebula).It is naturally detoxifying, thus it removes the toxins from the body. This churna is mainly beneficial in disc prolapsed, cervical and lower back pain, ligament sprain, neck stiffness, sprains in muscle, tendons. Panchsakar churna helps to relax the muscles around the neck and also reduces the inflammation.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful once a day with Luke warm water at bedtime.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment of Cervical Spondylitis?
Panchakarma is the best way to give good results along with ayurvedic medicines. There are different procedures in panchakarma that reduce pain, inflammation, & stiffness. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre recommends the following procedure for cervical spondylitis patients.
- Snehapana– Cows ghee is the best Vata Shamak and acts best in degenerative diseases, Snehapana (oleation therapy) should be done with medicated cow ghee like Panchatikta Ghrit, Mahatikta Ghrit, etc.
- Snehana – Swedana – External application of medicated oil followed by steam that relieves the muscle spasm around the neck and helps in minimizing the cervical pain.
- Basti – Medicated enema described as the best treatment for Vata diseases. Ayurvedic classics had mentioned Panchatiktakshir basti in the treatment of cervical spondylitis. 8-10 days of treatment with such basti shows marked improvement in this condition.
- Manya Basti – It is also known as Greeva Basti. In this basti, neck region is bathed in pool of medicated warm oil for at least 30 minutes.
Healthy Tips and Diet for Cervical Spondylitis
- Avoid physical and mental exertion.
- Avoid rice, kidney beans, refined flour and that food which causes flatulence.
- Regular intake of fish, nuts, and oil seeds are very beneficial as they are rich sources of omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin E.
- Avoid red meat, white potato, and coffee as it increases acid load in the body.
- Increase intake of purified butter, vegetable soaps, milk, almonds.
- Get good sleep of 8 hours at least.
- Have regular, gentle body massage with lukewarm sesame oil.
- Yoga postures like Bhujangasana (Cobra pose), Matsyasana (Fish pose), Dhanurasan (Bow pose) and Ujjai Pranayam are highly recommended for cervical pain.
- Exercises such as Chin Tucks and side to side rotations can help to strengthen the neck muscles.
- Neck Stretch exercise is also very beneficial. Keep your body straight, push your chin forward in a way that stretches the throat, softly tense the neck muscles and hold it for 5 seconds. Return your head to its center position, push your head back with the chin held high and hold for 5 seconds.
- Sleep on a firm mattress that keeps your head level. The pillows should not bend the back more than 15 degrees.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh