- Allergic Conjunctivitis
- Viral Conjunctivitis
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis
Following people are more prone to develop conjunctivitis:
- Those who are asthmatic or have history of allergic rhinitis
- Those who are taking or have taken corticosteroids for a long period of time.
- Those who frequently suffer from upper respiratory tract infection.
- People suffering from diabetes are more vulnerable to develop conjunctivitis.
- People who live in more crowded places are at a higher risk of developing conjunctivitis
- The most common cause of conjunctivitis is the exposure to dust, smoke and cold winds.
- Increased use of eye cosmetics, contact lenses, mascara and facial powders may cause conjunctivitis.
- Certain bacteria and viruses also cause conjunctivitis
- Pink or red coloration of the eyes
- Pain, irritation and itching in the eyes
- Puffiness around the eyeballs and eye lining
- Watering from the eyes
- Mild fever
- Blurred vision
- Stickiness of the eyelashes
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Burning sensation in the eyes
- Increased dryness in the eyes
- Difficulty in keeping the eyes open for long time
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF CONJUNCTIVITIS
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, this condition is known as Netra Abhishyanda. This is mainly caused due to imbalanced pitta and kapha dosha. The eye has mainly pitta dosha dominancy in it but when kapha dosha gets aggravated in the eye, it starts attacking the pitta dosha and this affects the health of the eye causing netra abhishayanda.
Ayurvedic formulations beneficial in Netra abhishyanda are:
- Maha Triphala Ghrita
- Jeevantayadi Ghrita
- Sapta Amrita Loha
- Chandrodya Varti
- Yashtimadhu Churna
- Triphala Churna
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Take in food items that are rich in vitamin A& B2 like green leafy vegetables, carrots, dairy products, papaya, tomato and pumpkin.
- Avoid excess starch and sugary substances in your diet such as white bread, refined cereals, potatoes, pastries, jams and other confectionery.
- Avoid non vegetarian diet.
- Avoid taking in excess tea, coffee, salt and sauces.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes as rubbing will further increase the pain and irritation.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses during the course of conjunctivitis.
- Avoid exposure to dusty or allergic environment.
- Do not share your belongings with anyone.
- Wear dark glasses to prevent the spread of infection to your near ones.
- Keep yourself clean. Clean all your personal items with soap and water.
- Have alternate warm and cold compresses over the eye.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR CONJUNCTIVITIS
- Add three tablespoon honey in two cups of hot water. Mix well and allow the mixture to cool. Wash your eyes with this mixture atleast two times a day.
- Add a handful of coriander leaves in 250 ml of water. Boil for 15-20 minutes. Cool and strain the liquid. Use this for washing your eyes.
- Take a slice of potato and place it over the infected eye. This helps in reducing the pain.
- Blend some cilantro leaves in a half cup of water. Filter the mixture and apply the pulp obtained on the eyelids.
- Take some goat’s milk and dip a cotton ball in it. Apply it all over the eyes. This is beneficial in healing the conjunctivitis.
- Take some turmeric and mix it with a little water. Take a small piece of cloth and dip in it. Dry it and then apply it over the affected area of the eyes. This helps in reducing the infection.
- Extract the juices of spinach and carrot and mix them in equal quantities. Drinking this juice daily is quite effective in conjunctivitis.
- Take a piece of cloth dipped in cold water and put it gently over the affected eye.
- Mix some honey in Amla juice and drink this two times a day.
- Mix Turmeric, Neem and Manjishtha in equal quantity. Take half teaspoon of the above mixture with lukewarm water
- Dissolve borax in water and use it for washing your eyes.
- Prepare a paste of 4 grams Harada, 4 grams roasted alum and 1 gram opium. Apply this paste over the eyelids.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.