The liver is the main and largest organ in the body which helps to digest food, stores the body’s energy and removes the toxins.
Fatty liver is the most disease than ever. In most cases, it is associated with drinking too much alcohol but in some of the cases, it can also occur in the people above the age of 60 and can also occur in children as well as young adults.
Non Alcoholic fatty liver (NAFLD)
This condition is not related to drinking too much alcohol.
Alcoholic fatty liver
It occurs due to heavy alcohol use. The liver breaks down most of the alcohol and removes it from the body. This process of breaking down the particles can generate harmful substances and damages the liver cells, promotes inflammation and weakens the body’s natural defenses.
What are the causes of fatty liver?
The main cause of the fatty liver is obesity, in which overfeeding can cause inflammation and can affect liver function. In most of the cases, it is found that adults have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Patients who are insulin resistant will gave more fat in the body and more fat will be stored in the liver than those who do not have pre-diabetics.
- Poor gut health can cause an imbalance of the bacteria in the gut which can contribute to the development of fatty liver in most of the people.
- Too much sugar and refined carbs like white flour, soda leads to fatty liver, if these foods are consumed by insulin-resistant individuals.
- The genetic cause can also more prone to develop fatty liver.
What are the symptoms of fatty liver?
Most of the people don’t know that they have fatty liver until the symptoms become severe. The early symptoms of fatty liver are tiredness and pain in the right abdominal part of the abdomen.
Here are some of the main symptoms of fatty liver:
- Swelling in the abdomen
- Heaviness in the center or on the right side of the abdomen.
- Enlarged and prominent blood vessels under the skin
- The yellowish coloration of the skin and eyes
- Red-colored palms
How fatty liver can be diagnosed?
Most of the symptoms of fatty liver are not easy to diagnose but the doctor can suspect if the results of the liver function tests are abnormal.
Other examinations are:
- Liver function test
- In some of the cases, if the condition is severe then you have to go for a liver biopsy to confirm the diagnosis and to check the condition of the liver.
Some changes in diet and lifestyle that will help in maintaining the health of the liver
- Eat a proper and healthy diet but limit the use of salt and sugar in it.
- Regular exercise can help to lose weight and reduce the fat content in the liver.
- Include some vegetables to your diet such as spinach, bottle gourd, bitter gourd, coriander, sweet potato, etc.
- Drink plenty of water daily to remove the ama (toxins) from the body.
- Use mustard oil, olive oil or cow ghee for cooking.
- Drink coconut water daily.
- Include salads as per the seasonal vegetables and fruits in your diet.
What are the risk factors for fatty liver?
- Middle or older age people
- Diabetes mellitus
- High levels of fat content present in the blood such as triglycerides and cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Certain drugs like corticosteroids or some cancerous drugs
- Rapid weight loss
- Exposed to some toxins
Panchakarma treatment for fatty liver
Panchakarma procedures play an important role in treating the root cause of the disease. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre offers the best ways to treat fatty liver. These procedures are done by experienced therapists and provide effective results.
Vasti is the main procedure done in treating fatty liver patients. Vasti is mainly of two types- anuvasana (oil enema therapy) and niruha vasti (herbal enema therapy).
Ayurvedic treatment for fatty liver
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre offers wonderful treatment which is very effective in curing fatty liver and its root cause. Fatty liver care kit includes 5 products- Kutki Capsules, Detox premium powder, Liver care tablet, Panchsakar churna and Liver Care Syrup. This kit is very helpful in balancing the doshas in the body and can be used by any age group.
1. Detox Premium Powder:
As the name suggests this herbal powder helps in overall detoxification of the liver. This herbal powder contains ingredients such as giloy satv, shukta pishti, parval pishti, kamdudha ras, gandhak rasayan, etc. It reduces pain, swelling, abdominal pain, & abdominal swelling.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
2. Liver care tablet:
Liver Care tablet help in balancing Pitta dosha. These tablets stimulate the growth of new liver cells, promote functions of liver, and improve blood flow from the liver. It helps in the treatment of fatty liver, liver cirrhosis, Hepatitis, hepatomegaly, and obstructive Jaundice. Liver Care Tablets contains Ingredients like Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Kutaki(Picrorhiza kurroa), Bhumi amla( phyllanthus niruri), Giloy(Tinopora Cordifolia), Yavakshar( Hordeum vulgare), Imli Kshar( Tamarindus indica), Mukta Shukta pisti etc. It helps in removing fats from the liver cells & keeps your liver healthy.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
3. Kutki Capsules:
Kutki capsules are a pure herbal extract of Kutki herb whose main function is to balance Vata and pitta doshas. It helps in the removal of harmful toxins from the body. Kutki capsules of CAC show great results in the case of liver diseases, purify the blood, and treats respiratory disorders. It maintains the overall digestive system and useful in various diseases like abdominal distension, ascites, constipation, etc. it has anti-inflammatory properties, also reduces the stiffness of joints.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 capsule twice daily with plain water.
4. Panchsakar Churna:
As the name suggests five ingredients are used for the preparation of this herbal churna. The ingredients such as shunthi, shatapushpa, balaharitaki, saindhavan lavana, & swarnapatri are used for removing toxins from the body. The abdominal pain, swelling, loss of appetite, fatigue, etc related to fatty liver are treated.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful at bedtime with lukewarm water.
5. Liver Care Syrup
Liver Care Syrup is a herbo-mineral Syrup which is purely ayurvedic formulation. CAC Liver Care syrup helps in balancing Pitta dosha. This Syrup enhances regeneration of liver cells, promote functions of liver, and improve blood flow from the liver. It helps in the treatment of fatty liver, Liver cirrhosis, Hepatitis, hepatomegaly, and obstructive Jaundice.
Recommended dosage: take 2 tablespoon morning and evening after meal
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.