According to the treatise Charaka Samhita of Ayurveda medicine, Gambhari has been used since ancient times to remove swelling and to suppress wind. This plant is found in India especially in South India, Konkan, Ceylon, Western Himalaya, Bengal, Bihar and Jharkhand etc.
Botanical introduction – It has a huge tree, which is 50 to 60 feet in height. The branches of the tree are whitish (for some white) and hairy. Its bark is white colored, but the fresh bark is carrying a slight yellowing and greenery. Black marks and small grains are seen on the bark.
Gambhari leaves are 4 to 9 inches long and 3 to 7 inches wide. They are often flat, heart shaped and pointed at the front. There are 2 – 6 inch long letters on them and the leaves are always face to face.
Gambhari’s full 3 – 8 inch tall red and yellowish flowers are 1 to 1.5 inches long. There are brown splashes on the flowers. The fruits of Gambhari are yellow, green, shining and equal in size to the fruits of ordinary berries.
Medicinal properties of Gambhari
Ras – Tikt, Kashay, Sweet
Vipak – bitter
Juice – sweet, astringent, acid
Qualities – Smell, Guru
Vipak – sweet
Veerya – Cold (Cold)
Gambhari mainly has deepness, digestion, heartburn and constipation (constipation) properties. Its fruits are full of cereals, trees and chemicals. Proves to be a medicine capable of removing confusion, atrophy, indigestion, colic (pain), haemorrhoids, toxins, burning pains and fever. Gambhari fruits helps to treat blood disorders, urethritis, burning sensation, excessive thirst, bloodshed, Has the properties to remove damage and physical exhaustion.
Gambhari’s Synonym in Hindi
It is known by the names of Kashmari, Shriprani, Bhadraprani, Sarvatobhadra, Madhuprani etc. Its various names determine the specific qualities of Gambhari like –
- Gambhari – It carries more water.
- Kashmari – It illuminates with its pleasant qualities or reduces the fattening of the body and makes the body thin.
- Sarvatobhadra – All its parts are beneficial.
- Madhuparni – Its leaves are sweet. After consuming them, when you consume water, you feel sweetness. Their tone is also sweet.
- Shriparni – Gambhari leaves are beautiful, hence it is also known as Shriparni.
Digestion: – Due to its basic heat, Deepan – Digestion and Guru vatanuloman works due to sniggdh properties.
Medhya – The fruit of Ghamhar or Gambhari is of sweet and cold quality, it destroys Pitta and meditates by nourishing Madjavah Sources i.e. it acts to nourish and fatten the weak body.
Balya – Brihan-Rasayana: – Due to the sweetness of its fruit, it works by performing physical, mental and chemical work by enhancing the carcinogenic property . Fruits are used in general emaciation etc.
Bloodshed – The fruits of Gambhari are cold-blooded and they suppress blood bile. By being sweetly beneficial to the heart, gout benefits in heart diseases. Also, it also works to purify the blood, so its intake provides immense benefit in diseases caused by impurity of blood. Using Gambhari fruit with honey or Sitha provides benefits in Pitjwar, vomiting, burning sensation and burning sensation of chest.
Fever – The root of Gambhari is used in gout fever. Fruit can be used in the problem of irritation and burning and over thirst.
Trisha – Fruit is the destroyer of cold and bile. Therefore, Trisha (thirst is a frequent desire) is used to destroy it.
Vrishya / Pregnancy – The fruit works by performing pregnancy with sweet, Guru and sniggdh qualities. It should be used in sperm strength and uterine strength and untimely secretions from the womb. In sciatic diseases (diseases occurring in mothers after delivery), the root of Gambhari is used to remove inflammation.
Urine disorder – The fruits of Gambhari do the work of urine generation, hence, it is beneficial in stopping urination, etc. Taking out the vowel of Gambhari leaves and using it with cow’s milk and sugar candy, the urination is clear.
Benefits of Gambhari
- Taking Gambhari with Yush and using it with sugar candy is beneficial in blood circulation.
- Mulethi and Gambhari oil should be consumed in water.
- Cooling of the marrow of Gambhari fruit, mixing sugar candy and drinking it causes burning sensation, frequent thirst and fever etc.
- Using its oil as a crop is useful in diseases of the nerve.
- It is beneficial to use its fruit marrow with honey in the problem of blood pressure.
- Dry the cooked fruits of Gambhari and make the powder. Consuming this powder with milk provides relief in hives.
- If the wound of gonorrhea is washed with the tone of the leaves, then the wound gets relief and relief in swelling.
- In a headache, grinding its addresses and making pulp and applying it on the forehead provides relief in headache.
- The powder made by drying the fruits of Gambhari, mixed with sugar candy and consumed with cow’s milk, benefits in masculine weakness such as lack of semen and physical weakness.
- In medicinal use, only its address, root, bark and fruits are used more. In case of excessive thirst and excessive heat, it is beneficial to eat fruit by making juices.
- To increase the breasts of women and in the lack of milk in them, by cooking its syrup in sesame oil, massaging it with oil and making the boiling of the root to increase milk, taking milk with honey increases breast milk.
- Gambhari’s usable organs, quantity and specific totals
With its use in Ayurveda medicine, Dashmool decoction, Dashmularishta, Brihatpanchmuladi decoction and Shriparni oil are manufactured. Its fruit, root and leaves are used in medicine. The decoction made from this should be used up to 50 – 100 ml.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.